Your growers...

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Who don´t know this cases?

You buy an album, you have high expectations and after listening to it the first time, you are fucking disappointed. Then you listen to it again and again...and something happens..you begin to love it :headbang:

I think about two cases...

Iron Maiden´s "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son":

I first hated the synth elements and the song "Can I play with madness" so much!! I was used to the typical dry sound early 80´s of Maiden..Piece of Mind/Powerslave. Somewhere in time I didn´t know already at those times.

And Symphony X "The Odyssey":

For me this sounded totally PLASTIC as I listened to it the first time. There was no earthy sound for me, it sounded very artificially! But after listen to it again a few times, I began to realize, how great the SONGS really are. I still don´t like the production, but I love the songs, the performance and the atmosphere of this Album.

Have you made similar experiences? Tell about it :headbang:

Meshuggah - chaosphere.
bought this album back in 1998 when I was just 15. Didn't know what the fuck it was and it sounded like nothing else. Took me about 5 years to get it

Tool - Aenima.
Similarly to Meshuggah, got this back in about '98. Other than Stinkfist I really didn't get it at first, but 10 listens later I loved it.

Devin - Terria
I already loved the other devy stuff by the time this came out, but when I bought it, it didn't click with me at all. Really glad I persevered with it though because I love it now. Took a good few years until I did though.

Felix... I loved the Odyssey on first listen. It totally blew me away the first time I heard it.

Back when I got sent some Tool and Nine Inch Nails I hated both bands with a fucking passion
I ended up getting totally obsessed with Lateralus, and it still remains one of my favourite albums ever
got into NIN when I was 15 and The Downward Spiral is now one of my favourite albums, as is The Fragile

apart from that, most shit has been fairly immediate for me.

Felix... I loved the Odyssey on first listen. It totally blew me away the first time I heard it.

It´s interesting to hear...today I could not live without this album. The chorus of "King of Terrors" finally brought the moment of clarity in a relaxing hour. What a great song!!

And Symphony X "The Odyssey":

For me this sounded totally PLASTIC as I listened to it the first time. There was no earthy sound for me, it sounded very artificially! But after listen to it again a few times, I began to realize, how great the SONGS really are. I still don´t like the production, but I love the songs, the performance and the atmosphere of this Album.

I LOVE the production on The Odyssey!!! Killer songs as well. Really one of my favorite albums.

As for me?

Dreaming Neon Black- It grew on me but I got so depressed listening to it.

Pyramaze- Legend of the bone carver. Not that I was dissapointed, liked it on first listen, then put it away. A friend asked to hear it, borrowed it off me, then when he gave it back and pointed parts out to me, we were both hooked on it.

Yeah, NIN has these special thing too it. There are months where i hate it, then something clicks and I listen only to it for a few weeks or so, then I hate it again.

hah, i always enjoy NIN, but whether it truly affects me or not is all down to whether im feeling shit or not
if im in a good mood i tend to just not listen to them.
TDS really fucks you up when you're down though, in the most magnificent way :D

The latest such disappointment was In Flames' A sense of purpose. After the first couple of spins I was really bummed out about the album, especially the mix. After six or seven listens, though, I started to kinda like it. The mix isn't necessarily bad, it's just very, very different, which makes it unique in it's own way. After five more listens I thought it's the best album they have done in years :)

That's why I always let albums grow on me, unless it's a HOLY-FUCK-I-CAN'T-STAND-THIS-ABOMINATION-OF-A-RECORD reaction :)

I can think of many albums that I've looked forward to and upon hearing being very disappointed. I can't think of any single album that have ever won me over after my initial impression... Even after listening them more... They may grow on you in a way but I never truly like it.

For example, American Head Charges the feeding. Probably the album I've looked forward to the most... And upon hearing it I was sooo disappointed I couldn't even make it through the album. I found it boring and the mix just plain annoyed me. Especially after their previous album 'The War of Art' being such an experience both song wise and mix wise. Now, I learned to like the songs off The Feeding - kind of. I listened to it a bunch and enjoyed it for a bit but I haven't listened to that album in probably a year now. So it was a temporary thing... Were as I still listen to The War of Art.

Oh wait... I can think of one - The Great Southern Trendkill. The first time I listened to that I kind of expected it to be awesome and I'd already been listening to Pantera for years just never got round to checking that album out. But the very first time I listened to it I just sat on my chair, kind of bored.... Felt a bit let down. The next day I listened to it again and BANG I thought it was the shit, completely in to it. So I don't know what happened there... lol.

That album is probably the album I've listened to the most - ever. Well that and 36 Crazyfists A Snow Capped Romance.

In Flames-Soundtrack To Your Escape for me.
At first i was like <<WTF?Why did they make something so dark and weird sounding>>.But after 4-5 times of listening sessions i understood how great this album was.

Another one is ...and justice for all for the same reasons as above.For me, the best Metallica album ever, even with the weird production

the selftitled slipknot album. bueyed it because a friend said they were cool and the cd looked nice (yeah, I was young)
gave it some tries and didn't liked it.

but for some reason I tried it again half an year later and its my favorite slipknot album up to today.

Sepultura- Against and Nation

The first full Sepultura album I heard was Roorback, so I wasn't obsessed with the Pre-Against Era with Max, even though my favourite songs were from Chaos AD which I picked up from some friends.

However, Against was written during a hard time for the band, but since I was looking for another Chaos AD, the young, naive metalhead I was, it disappointed me. The same goes for Nation.

Only after I understood the lyrical concept and truly merged the artwork, the lyrics and the music along with understanding the band's situation at the point they were written did I fully appreciate them.

Definately In the Woods... - Omnio
Hated it in the beginning and then I grew so much on me.

Opeth - Morningrise
also needed a lot of spins for me to finally click.

I LOVE the production on The Odyssey!!! Killer songs as well. Really one of my favorite albums.

This album sounded kind of sterile for me, I was not used to listen to such a perfect edited album like this. I try to explain my feelings I had as I listened to it the first time..I thought: "What the fuck is going on"? Something is totally different in comparison with some older Symphony X productions! They changed their way of work in the studio. This confused me!

If I´d listen to it the first time today, it would be probably different for me. The most productions today are edited and care taken as fuck!! I got used to and I even appreciate it in a certain way, but I always was a friend of earthy, natural sounding records. Under the line, the songs are important for me!

This album sounded kind of sterile for me, I was not used to listen to such a perfect edited album like this. I try to explain my feelings I had as I listened to it the first time..I thought: "What the fuck is going on"? Something is totally different in comparison with some older Symphony X productions! They changed their way of work in the studio. This confused me!

If I´d listen to it the first time today, it would be probably different for me. The most productions today are edited and care taken as fuck!! I got used to and I even appreciate it in a certain way, but I always was a friend of earthy, natural sounding records. Under the line, the songs are important for me!

Felix, I totally agree dude, I can't stand the production on The Odyssey (well, mostly Romeo's wretchedly modeled-sounding guitar tone :ill: ), but yeah, it has pretty bitchin' tunes indeed! (and I've never heard any of their other albums, actually) Without a doubt though, the biggest grower on me was anything by Nevermore, cuz it took me years to suppress my gag reflex when the Dane made his appearance! :loco:

Architects - Hollow Crown: First time I listened to this all the way through I thought, "meh this is decent, kind of generic breakdown/core stuff..." Then after giving it a couple more spins a few weeks later it I was online buying a plane ticket to go see them in Winnipeg since I missed the local dates :lol: That's easily my fave of the year so far, the atmospheres and melodies in the riffs are so much deeper than they seemed at first listen.

August Burns Red - Messengers: Thought this was also generic melodic metalcore crap at first, listened again a few more times when I was more in the mood for that stuff and now I worship everything this band has done.

i hated rammstein like since i was 14 years old when heard "du hast" for the first time, without a reason, i just hated them (stupid kid...)
when i heard accidentally "reise reise" then like 13 years later, i was so falling in love with them, so i became the ultimate rammstein fan,
strange, isnt it..

i just recently bought the new green day album and was very dissapointed after the first listen-thru,
i´m still afraid to listen to it for a second time, haha

and +1 for "The Great Southern Trendkill"
when i bougth it, i was really expecting something very different, but after 2 or 3 times listen to it, it became one of my fav. albums of that year i got it.

cheers
chris