Your growers...

Felix, I totally agree dude, I can't stand the production on The Odyssey (well, mostly Romeo's wretchedly modeled-sounding guitar tone :ill: ), but yeah, it has pretty bitchin' tunes indeed! (and I've never heard any of their other albums, actually) Without a doubt though, the biggest grower on me was anything by Nevermore, cuz it took me years to suppress my gag reflex when the Dane made his appearance! :loco:

+ 1000000

You speak right words, dude :headbang: I think it was the modeled sounding guitars and something with the drums..too dry IMO!! Nevertheless damn clean performance and transparent/clear mixed.

Marcus, the new album "paradise lost" is the best production of them imo. The tunes are awesome as well! So grab it some time. I recommend it!

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation dude, I've been meaning to give it a listen, especially cuz my man Jens Bogren engineered it! :headbang: And I wonder what Romeo used for his tone on "The Odyssey"? Since it was a few years ago, I don't think Line 6 stuff could sound that "real" back then, so I'm guessing Sansamp

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation dude, I've been meaning to give it a listen, especially cuz my man Jens Bogren engineered it! :headbang: And I wonder what Romeo used for his tone on "The Odyssey"? Since it was a few years ago, I don't think Line 6 stuff could sound that "real" back then, so I'm guessing Sansamp

I think The Odyssey was Rectifier, believe it or not.

Probably one of my favorite metal productions. I love the guitar sound.

I think, it was the Behringer V-amp..but not the pro :lol: No serious..I really would like to know it, too!

Hell yes, Jens Bogren did awesome job on this album, indeed!

I think The Odyssey was Rectifier, believe it or not.

Probably one of my favorite metal productions. I love the guitar sound.

Well I will say that the eq controls on the Rectos are mighty powerful, so there's a lot of potential for pretty different tones - that said, it doesn't sound AT ALL like any Rectifier I've heard!

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=69

"SOT: Quick question about gear…. What did you use to record the album and what will you use to tour with?

MR: For the album, I used a couple different amps. I used a Dual Rectifier and I had Engle amp. Most of the rhythm was done with that. And I still had the Line 6 that I used that for some parts…even some different amp sounds…. Like parts where I needed a semi-dirty sound or a clean-electric sound. It was pretty that… the Rectifier, the Engle, and the Line 6 for the album. For live, I was using the POD for the last year or two. It’s cool that it has all the different sounds you can use, but I think the heavier sounds weren’t quite what a Rectifier would do.
"

Romeo's obese hands make the rectifier cower in fear that's why.

Romeo's obese hands make the rectifier cower in fear that's why.

And I missed this the first time, but good god, his fucking sausage fingers always crack me up :lol: But goddamn can he use 'em!

And thanks Felix! That would've been pretty wild, teaching Michael Romeo a thing or two about tonez :D

Architects - Hollow Crown: First time I listened to this all the way through I thought, "meh this is decent, kind of generic breakdown/core stuff..." Then after giving it a couple more spins a few weeks later it I was online buying a plane ticket to go see them in Winnipeg since I missed the local dates :lol: That's easily my fave of the year so far, the atmospheres and melodies in the riffs are so much deeper than they seemed at first listen.

This.
My favourite metal/hardcore album in years, and it took me a few spins to appreciate quite where they were going for, but it's the vocals that did it for me mostly.
One of the best metal vocal performances in years tbh!

Akercocke-antichrist, at first i was like ehh generic black/death.. but then i started to get past their terrible production and realized most of their shit is pretty fucking awesomely evil !

Gojira has got to be the ultimate grower band for me. at first your like this shit is kinda boring. and then you keep listening. after a while you cant stop listening!

...Anyway..Romeo´s sound on "paradise lost" is absolutely okay, so all is cool ;)

Really? I love the songs on the album, and the over all production is worlds better than Odyssey, but I still don't like his guitar tone on Paradise Lost. That's always been my biggest gripe about Symphony X, the guitar tone. But the playing and the songs are absolutely killer.

Death - The Sound of Perseverance.
First extreme metal album I heard : I was 9 years old.
At first I thought it was really weird, and then it grew onto me, I still love it to this day.

one i can clearly remenber: pantera - far beyond driven.
it took a lot of listenings to get into that, don´t really now why now and i haven´t heard it again in a long time

Hahaha, fuck dude, I NEVER would have been able to handle Death at 9 years old, hats off to ya! :headbang:

Thanks dude, I've been in metal for a while. :headbang:
Compared to a bunch of you guys, I'm still a "beginner", but at school I'm kind of like the walking metal encyclopedia, even though I don't have the troo metalz look. :lol: