Your growers...

Nevermore's "Dreaming Neon Black" except for the title track (which I fell instantly in love with) this was the hardest of the Nevermore albums to delve in for me.

But oh boy, once it made clicky... It became one of those albums that DESTROY me upon listening.

Haha, damn dudes - nah, my Dad and I shared film soundtracks (specifically Star Trek), and that was predominately what I listened to until I was around 12, when I thought listening to pop/pop rock/nu metal was the cool thing to do :lol: Then when I hit 8th grade I picked up the guitar, got into Metallica, and lost all my old shitty CD's on a plane (there was supreme turbulence right before we landed, so I got the fuck out and accidentally left my CD wallet in the seat-back pocket; personally, I think it was fate!), and following that rebirth have been a straight metalhead sinc!

Does anyone have any reverse-growers?

My example is Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters. I really liked it at first, but the more I listen to it the less I enjoy it. I still find some riffs and sections to be amazing, but the album as a whole has a lot of filler IMO.

On the topic of growers, Cynic's Focus is one of the ones I remember being underwhelmed at first. I think it's because all the reviews exclaimed it as "progressive death metal". I was expecting something like early Atheist or Pestilence and so the album seemed really tame at first. I grew to like the album and definitely appreciate it for everything that it is after a few listens. Funny though, I thought Traced In Air was absolutely amazing and fresh to me at first listen; considering that it has received so many mixed reviews.

:kickass: to you Felix!

Hell yeah, bro :kickass:

That's awesome!

I was still very much into David Hasselhoff at that age.

and still I am...

Hahahah @slash, I still know...in the Kindergarten.."Apenluken for fridooom.." Great time :)

I think it was fate!

Hahahahaha yeah, Marcus :lol: I had a time (as I was about 14 years old) I sold all my "normal" Heavy Metal cd´s, to spend all money for Black Metal records :D After a couple of years, I bought it all back again..lol

Hahaha, fuck dude, I NEVER would have been able to handle Death at 9 years old, hats off to ya! :headbang:

I first heard Sacred Serenity from Symbolic when it came out in '95...(so I would've been 12 I guess), and fucking loved it. I think Death's melody made them easier to digest than slightly more brutal death metal. But yeah, 9 is pretty young to be into death metal.

My younger brother took 'Vile' by Cannibal Corpse into his end of term last-day-of-school back in '96. He'd have been 10.

Apparently the teacher didn't approve of the song titles and the picture of the tortured corpse with his dick riddled with maggots flapping about. :lol:

Pfff @ 9 being old for Death metal.

My brother showed me "Fucking Hostile," when I was 4.

I loved it. I used to get into trouble for walking around saying "OHHHHHHHHHH FUCKING HOSTILE!"

I needed some time to really get into Meshuggah (but I was 14 at that time) nowadays I really dig em-never had problems with stuff like cynic or dream theater...
Got into metal through my brother (3 years older than me) so he started listening to Metallica when he was 10,
so I bought Ride the Lightening when I was 7 from my pocket money...
At the age of 8 1/2 I bought Hypocrisy's "Osculum Obscenum"-the dude only sold it to me because my father (he was like "yeah, I see, tortured siamese twins...no I think my son could handle this") didn't care...
But until ten I listened to almost everything, beatles cds from my parents, rolling stones albums that my uncle forgot at our house and slayer from my brother...
With 13 I started my first "band" (we only existed for 2 rehearsals)-I "growled" and played guitar...

Growers:

METALLICA - And Justice For All.
I was 13 when the allbum was released, I was quite noob in Metal, and I thought that album was a piece of shit, was too heavy. Now is my favorite Metallica's album.

RAINBOW - (any album).
In 1992 I was a fan of the wave of german power metal and rainbow sounded old and too rockanroller for me. Now is one of my favourite bands.
Probably the most influencing band for the bands of the 80 and 90's.

RAMMSTEIN - (any album)
When they began in 1997 or so, I was a true metaler and Rammstein was for me false metal. In 2002 my mind opened to other styles of metal, I liestend to Reise Reise and now is another of my fav bands.

Reverse grower:

RHAPSODY - Emerald Sword.
FREEDOM CALL - All albums
Tons of crappy powermetal bands.