Your impressions about The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR.

Nice job translating the first part- being Israeli, I wouldn't have done it as well as you did it.
However, regarding the last sentence-
"Wa'ani toch lev aniyo
Bayafi eto me'ili":
"aniyo" [usually pronounced "oniya"] here is spelled with alef, not aain- so it's "ship" and not "poor".
"Me'ili" is "my coat" ("me'il+i).
So the last sentence is probably along the lines of "And I, inside a heart of ship, am covering the beauty with my coat".
..I'm butchering this, really. :err:

(Probably we will get some translations on the booklet of the album... only one more month to go!)

Thanks a million, Whiskey. : )))

Truth to tell, Hebrew was never among the languages I can use with some proficiency.
Found the whole poem, though. So it goes like:

הָרְשׁוּת בֶּאֱמֶת נְתוּנָה לָךְ שְׁלוֹמַת הַחֲתֻנָּה

אַל יְסִיתֵךְ צָר מְמֻנָּה בַּת וְאַל יַשִּׂיג גְּבוּלִי

בַּחֲרִי מִבְחַר מְקוֹמוֹת הֵיכְלֵי שֵׁן הַפְּנִימוֹת

וַעֲלִי מִתּוֹךְ תְּהוֹמוֹת וּשְׁמְעִי תַמָּה לְקוֹלִי

... and so forth.

Splendid!

I also found another version of the song, a little longer, that uses the "A wonderful cup is in my garden, juicy and winy" and "Take from my right hand the poured cup that was chosen for me" stanzas (I hope I'm not being wrong again). Loved it.

Somehow, someday I will learn this fascinating language. :)

Can't wait for the album to come out!

Ever since I got to hear this song on youtube and I have been listening to it throught the past days.

I also tried making it my ringtone.

Cannot wait.

I definitely hear Steven Wilson's keyboard magicianship in Sapari's undertones, and Shlomit's voice totally hypnotyzes me. An absolute hit!

Cool, Scandi-bro,' we're picking up on some REAL TASTEFUL (dude does not overplay; that's rare) magic emanating from Wilson's keyboard/s. Yeah, UNDERTONES! I know what you're referring to. He's not playing, uh, 30-50-something Hz sub-bass keys (thank God), oh no, but, still, he's UNDER the music, cradling it, truly supporting the entire gestalt that is Sapari. Mother of God (I guess I'm Catholic tonite; I'll select another tune tomorrow)! SWEETER than SWEET.

Oh, God, yeah, I'm with you on Levi's vocal wizardry, so we can be hypnotized together! She sings with the tune, around it, over it, under it...there's nothing she can't do with that otherworldly-beautiful voice! I mean, it's so stunning, how the band sets the chugging groove, real fundamental Yemenite chant (got me drumming on the table in a trance), and then, it's like a rocket takes off when she joins in, as if the band was rumbling before takeoff. "Houston, We Don't Have a Problem." Oh baby baby baby what musical nirvana!

Yay! Okay! Be good, or don't. But be kind, 'cause I really want that New Jerusalem. You with me on that?

RAWK the IIIrd Temple,

Hill

I get it Anton, you are a huge fan. And right you are. Shlomit is a gifted singer. Something happens to you when she sings:)

She reminds me of Ofra Haza, Of Blessed Memory. Totally different singer, clearly-duh, but that ability to sing like a flock of well-coordinated gifted birds, my GOD GRACIOUS! Whatever: I'm very grateful for Shlomit Levi's talents; I love Yemenite singing and I've been yearning for something like this for so long.

Yes, you're not the same person after hearing her sing, not if you can hear and appreciate music just a wee bit. She turned me into a puddle of musical bliss on Mabool. Now she's entering Phase II, and, I'd never dare dream it, nor would I even envision it, but she's even more transforming.

WOW.

Thanks a million, Whiskey. : )))

Truth to tell, Hebrew was never among the languages I can use with some proficiency.
Found the whole poem, though. So it goes like:

הָרְשׁוּת בֶּאֱמֶת נְתוּנָה לָךְ שְׁלוֹמַת הַחֲתֻנָּה

אַל יְסִיתֵךְ צָר מְמֻנָּה בַּת וְאַל יַשִּׂיג גְּבוּלִי

בַּחֲרִי מִבְחַר מְקוֹמוֹת הֵיכְלֵי שֵׁן הַפְּנִימוֹת

וַעֲלִי מִתּוֹךְ תְּהוֹמוֹת וּשְׁמְעִי תַמָּה לְקוֹלִי

... and so forth.

Splendid!

I also found another version of the song, a little longer, that uses the "A wonderful cup is in my garden, juicy and winy" and "Take from my right hand the poured cup that was chosen for me" stanzas (I hope I'm not being wrong again). Loved it.

Somehow, someday I will learn this fascinating language. :)

Can't wait for the album to come out!

I'm fluent in Hebrew--native. Where did you get those words, please? That "...and so forth" is a mega-tease. Oh! Thank you for getting me onto this, yeah. I reckon that if I don't find the full text, there's the album around the corner. Anyhow, this is poetry: The language is pregnant with many meanings. So fluency per-se won't be enough for this one: I'll need to study it with a Yemenite poet, or perhaps a flock of poets.

Kicka**. Sapari...tell me. "Ali mi'toch ha't'homot..." Rise from the depths. Good idea.

(dude does not overplay; that's rare) magic emanating from Wilson's keyboard/s. Yeah, UNDERTONES! I know what you're referring to. He's not playing, uh, 30-50-something Hz sub-bass keys (thank God), oh no, but, still, he's UNDER the music, cradling it, truly supporting the entire gestalt that is Sapari. Mother of God (I guess I'm Catholic tonite; I'll select another tune tomorrow)! SWEETER than SWEET.

I don't know if I've ranted about this earlier but, I MISSED SEEING THE MAN PERFORM IN MY OWN DAMN COUNTRY - TODAY !!! :mad: :cry: The concert got over about 10 mins back I guess and I'm banking on SW's words that they'll be back real real soon. He's one of my favourite musicians and considering that I was on a complete Blackfield and 'The Incident' or just the general Porcupine Tree trip, this is depressing as shit!!

I don't know if I've ranted about this earlier but, I MISSED SEEING THE MAN PERFORM IN MY OWN DAMN COUNTRY - TODAY !!! :mad: :cry: The concert got over about 10 mins back I guess and I'm banking on SW's words that they'll be back real real soon. He's one of my favourite musicians and considering that I was on a complete Blackfield and 'The Incident' or just the general Porcupine Tree trip, this is depressing as shit!!

Daggum, Ananth, you are a devout concertgoer; I can literally feel your pain :cry: and I hope you get those boys back soon, with you in the audience. Hell on fire, they just played in India? Whoa. IDK SW, but I doubt he lied when he said he and his crew will be back on your shores "real soon." Huh. I don't have a clue about Porcupine Tree! I know of their existence, but that's not cutting it. Any recommendations to get a sense of that band? You know--seminal albums, etc.... You talk the talk of someone who knows the prog-bands well. Give me a tutorial any time you please. Please! H

Shlomit gives lectures on some of the famous Yemenite songs. She "discovered" her roots again singing those songs with Orphaned Land and started to investigate about the songs. Then she was frequently asked about the songs and their history and now she gives lectures.
By the way, we sell her album in the Orphaned Disciples (Hayatom) webshop!
Debut_CD_4b2e69328ac85_120x120.jpg

http://www.hayatom.com/shop/shop?page=shop.browse&category_id=10

It's a bargain and that woman's got more talent in one finger than most "stars" have in, oh, their entire body. Yes, I ordered a copy from hayatom and I feel good! I wonder if her lectures on the songs and so on will be available on DVD. That stuff interests me a whole lot more than watching yet another Southern Rocker talk about how "ah learnt these here tunes from gramps back in the day :Smokin:...yep, we'd all be a'fishin' in the creek down yonder, & I'd cop some 'tude, but gramps jest kept on tawkin,' yessir, tawkin' an' a'singin' lahk his lahf depended on hit. That ol' feller used to drag his big ol' doghouse-bass wherever the hey we'd a'go, see what ahm sayin?' Now that tayks dedication. He'd set the thang up n' start pluckin' n' bowin' lahk it wuz some tahny fiddle; sheeyit wuz he good! Ah reckon ah owe him one. God Bless you, grandpappy...now, back to my collection of Les Pauls..." Nope, I couldn't mimic a Yemenite's singer talking 'bout her roots; doggone would that be fascinating. Hillz

Daggum, Ananth, you are a devout concertgoer; I can literally feel your pain :cry: and I hope you get those boys back soon, with you in the audience. Hell on fire, they just played in India? Whoa. IDK SW, but I doubt he lied when he said he and his crew will be back on your shores "real soon." Huh. I don't have a clue about Porcupine Tree! I know of their existence, but that's not cutting it. Any recommendations to get a sense of that band? You know--seminal albums, etc.... You talk the talk of someone who knows the prog-bands well. Give me a tutorial any time you please. Please! H

Dude, you guys have way too many concerts for your own good ! Our concert-starvation is evident in the subsequent PCD [new medical condition - Add it to your psycho work :D ] or Post-Concert Depression. PCD occurs to me when I've been anticipating a particular show for quite a while, and that musical extravaganza which gives me a sense of purpose in life [as lame as it may sound] gives way to the usual redundant life. That's when you truly feel like shit! Others have a lot more bothering them in life, so do I, but music is a very integral part of my life as is for most of you methinks.

Blackfield is a project of Steven Wilson with Aviv Geffen [you might have heard of him from your stay in Tel Aviv]. My Israeli friends tell me that he [Aviv] is very popular with teenagers there. I love it a lot for their expression of pure emotion. Not to say that his other works have no feel as from my experience, anything with the SW stamp is amazing and loaded with something that touches you. But I guess in Blackfield he found a partner with whom he could express his ideas freely without the pressures of a band dynamic.

His solo album 'Insuregentes' is brilliant as well. My personal favourite is 'Harmony Korine'. He named it so just because he liked the name :D This is an audio-visual nirvana.

Progressive as his style might be, Steven Wilson's music isn't too progressive IMO. Its more artsy, throwing in a bit of psychedelia and post-rock influences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you guys have way too many concerts for your own good ! Our concert-starvation is evident in the subsequent PCD [new medical condition - Add it to your psycho work :D ] or Post-Concert Depression. PCD occurs to me when I've been anticipating a particular show for quite a while, and that musical extravaganza which gives me a sense of purpose in life [as lame as it may sound] gives way to the usual redundant life. That's when you truly feel like shit! Others have a lot more bothering them in life, so do I, but music is a very integral part of my life as is for most of you methinks.

Blackfield is a project of Steven Wilson with Aviv Geffen [you might have heard of him from your stay in Tel Aviv]. My Israeli friends tell me that he [Aviv] is very popular with teenagers there. I love it a lot for their expression of pure emotion. Not to say that his other works have no feel as from my experience, anything with the SW stamp is amazing and loaded with something that touches you. But I guess in Blackfield he found a partner with whom he could express his ideas freely without the pressures of a band dynamic.

His solo album 'Insuregentes' is brilliant as well. My personal favourite is 'Harmony Korine'. He named it so just because he liked the name :D This is an audio-visual nirvana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClzBQmZZBc

Progressive as his style might be, Steven Wilson's music isn't too progressive IMO. Its more artsy, throwing in a bit of psychedelia and post-rock influences.

You're right, Ananth, we've got here in the US of A too many shows for our own good and most of us don't even deserve them in the least. Heck, so many times I see stoners at shows so into their weirda** "visions" that if you told 'em they were visiting granny right there, they'd a' believed me. So I dig it, and feel awful for the deprivation. You're a serious concertgoer, no doubt about it. And, yeah, sadly many of us have plenty that bothers us in life in addition to missed or post-concert issues. But that's all the more reason to go to concerts: We get to focus on 100% awesome beauty and forget about our woes. GREAT medicine, however you cut it.

That PCD shares many characteristics with the "down," near clinically depressed state that folks enter after, say, their girlfriend visits from who-knows-where and it all goes great but then she leaves and she won't be back for ages and you follow, I'm sure. That's PGLD (Post-Girlfriend-Liaison-Disorder). And, in general, when we have something we appreciate and so on and then--poof--it's gone, well, the higher our appreciation of the "fill-in-the-blanks" multiplied by the time-lapse we expect until that "something" will return multiplied by our attachment to that "thing" multiplied by our emotional sensitivity (there are many ways to measure that, Ve have our vays!), heck...sheeyat it all...the more severe the Post-You-Name-It (except Traumatic) Disorder that kicks in like a mule with rabies.

I used to get it as a little boy after my birthday parties. Shoot, I did :cry:

PM me any time you need to unload about this or what-not. That's what friends are for!

He works with Aviv Geffen?! Wow! That family keeps cranking out musical monsters; excellent. I actually didn't have a clue about Blackfield, b/c, until recently, I was totally immersed in (non-prog, i.e., I guess, PRIMITIVE) metal & psychedelic funk-rock/plain ol' psychedelic rock. But this isn't the prog I remember from when I was aged in the single digits. Less pretentious, more "human," if you dig what I'm saying.

Thank you for the vid! I'll be making some orders for music, just as soon as the Holiday shopping damage to my account (huh? what account :erk:) gets undone just a tad.

Be Well, blood,

Hill

Massive OT detected :(

OT? Oh, "Off-Topic?" Yes, you're right. Yep. Still, at least a few of us are still keeping an eye on the Forum: You're always around. I usually am. It can be fun here, ridiculous, or even educational. But whichever way you slice it, I try to check on the mail at least every other day. The chat's the culprit? That's OnTopic (OT2)! Ananth's all excited about SW's work, and, well, he's OT2 w/Re to this album. No SW, no album, no thread.

Heck, it's a dilemma: What to do? You read a comment, and it just seems cold to leave it hanging if you know that's what'll happen. And that's the climate on this board these days. Yeah, yeah; it's b/c everybody's anticipating the album-release, getting ready for Christmas or whatever floats their boat/s.

All the same, the Forum's not hopping like it should be given what's coming up. And excitement can be expressed in just about any chit-chat. So where's everybody? I mean, like, nobody's bothering to post.

I was happy to read from Ananth. I was wondering what he was up to. Yeah, OT, but at least it's OnForum.

Man, you know I'm a big fan of yours. But, you excluded, I just don't get this august forum of scholars sometimes.

H

Och- we can' t talk OL all the time- people might take us for being obsessed. O la laaa
Am I the only one not getting PT and Blackfield? I love the sound, but in a show it is a bit boring to me. Maybe I should just try again until "I get it"
And Ananth, it is not 'sad' to look forward to shows like that. I have seen hundreds of shows and I still get excited every time. There is nothing like a night out with friends, letting yourself be taken to another place on the wings of music. Or going to a show all by yourself and meeting friendly people- having a nice chat.
If you find yourself not getting excited about those things anymore, well that would be a shame!

Och- we can' t talk OL all the time- people might take us for being obsessed. O la laaa
Am I the only one not getting PT and Blackfield? I love the sound, but in a show it is a bit boring to me. Maybe I should just try again until "I get it"
And Ananth, it is not 'sad' to look forward to shows like that. I have seen hundreds of shows and I still get excited every time. There is nothing like a night out with friends, letting yourself be taken to another place on the wings of music. Or going to a show all by yourself and meeting friendly people- having a nice chat.
If you find yourself not getting excited about those things anymore, well that would be a shame!

Yeah, Nathalie, that's one cool HTML ad-banner you've got @ the bottom of your post. Clearly y'all have quite a collection of graphics from this brilliant Jordanian artist. Will the guy be able to get public credit for his work, like on the CD? I'm guessing not and if I'm right, dammit! If I'm wrong, great, but I'd worry for his safety. Screwed up world. Peace On Earth, whatever your beliefs, life-style, nationality, melanin-concentration, etc., everybody. Sheesh. Peace, Shalom, Salaam, we all know what it means, as do those who speak languages I (and I do apologize) have never represented. Give me a language-lesson, Ananth! C'mon, just, say, "Peace?"

I like your reply to Ananth. Looking on the bright-side's a good thing to do unless it prevents you from avoiding a raging bull. Yeah, man, Ananth, Sister Morticia's got a great point. I reckon I'll quit crying too on account of her counseling. But I'm not an avid concert-goer like you two. I've got more CDs and music-DVDs than Amazon and BN combined, but, as a leftover from my gigging years, I get frustrated watching others perform. That's because I've been working for a year now on getting back on stage again. There's no lack of bands needing bassists--most "bassists" can't play so the competition is ludicrously easy, beating morons like that up and getting an offer; it isn't like with gui-tard (that was like a joke) auditions, etc. But the local bands here suck eggs plus all I've met are ignorant rednecks with a sixth-grade vocabulary. I'm not being a snob: I like simple people. But around here, the simple people come with a nasty side-effect--they're dangerous (just check out St Louis crime stats). I have to stay here for work; if I returned to the East Coast, I'd be hooked up. But I can't. Blech. When I gigged, that was all I needed, show-wise, 'cause we either opened for a great band or they opened for us, or there was an entire festival-deal going on and...GROOVY :headbang:

I think my limited expressional ability sent the wrong message out :D I meant that the gigs are fucking awesome, completely mindblowing but after the show, the end of a brilliant day complete with catching up with old friends, making new ones, bitching about the organizer between sets, taking digs at the friends onstage as a part of the opening act, all that ends. The looking forward isn't the 'sad' bit but moreso the 'holy-crap-the-best-musical-experience-I've-ever-had-just-got-over'. Its a complete mindjacking phenomenon :D On one hand you get to see artists you've grown up listening to and are very much a part of you, but on the other hand, you get this feeling that its pretty much a once in a lifetime thing.

P.S. - as an afterthought
I have a heck of a time at pretty much any concert I go to. I don't whine or crib much, it got OT-ed with what started off as mild jest as we don't really get many concerts here!

after several listening sessions, i can say that that ORwarriOR is their best work so far.
In therms of sounds and production is a BIG step foward (thank you mr. Wilson), in therms of composition is... simply different. The starting point is obviously Mabool but ORWOR is more solid, well balanced (the electric and acustic stuff are incredibily well stuck togheter) and, yes, a bit heavier: The Path #2 reminds me the Sahara era with an ending part in perfect Schuldiner style!

Good job, guys!!! :headbang:

Yeah, Nathalie, that's one cool HTML ad-banner you've got @ the bottom of your post. Clearly y'all have quite a collection of graphics from this brilliant Jordanian artist. Will the guy be able to get public credit for his work, like on the CD?

In fact the banner was made by a friend from Jerusalem who does these kind of things for a living. It is made up from parts of the artwork of the album.
And don't worry about the artist getting not getting any credit. This is someone who already had his own scene. But the lecture on this artist I will save for another day.