Your latest G.A.S. purchases

Well, if the routes are the same as my Prestige RGA, this is what I had to do to get the standard plastic EMG's to fit:

http://bbs.espguitars.com/showthread.php?t=64560

However, I didn't include that, but I did have to sand the bottom corners off the black EMG's for some reason, but not the ivory ones. I don't know what's up with that. I guess they make the ivory ones a little smaller.

A friend of mine assures me his EMG 57 is a tiny tiny bit smaller than his standard plastic 81's because he noticed a little gap between the pickup and the pickup ring that wasn't there before, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the Het Set will fit my RGA without too much trouble.

I believe the RGD doesn't have the wood block below the pickup, at least I don't remember it last I changed my pickups. in it.

You're giving me hope though in that you didn't have to make any modification to the cavity though. These might just work after all!

Once the pickups arrive, I'll let you know if there was any trouble installing them. Did your RGD originally com with some sort V7/V8 pickups? Or IBZ pickups? If they're the same kind, it might just be the same standard non-DiMarzio route that Ibanez uses for direct-mounting.

Once the pickups arrive, I'll let you know if there was any trouble installing them. Did your RGD originally com with some sort V7/V8 pickups? Or IBZ pickups? If they're the same kind, it might just be the same standard non-DiMarzio route that Ibanez uses for direct-mounting.

EMG just got back to me and said that there shouldn't be any issues fitting their pickups in the guitar.

The RGD comes with Ibanez designed crap pickups. I just put Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentient pickups in it and I hated them. Right now I have Dimarzio DActivators in it which are ok but I really want EMG's in this guitar. I think I'm going to put in an order for the 57-7H and the 66-7H pickups.

vbc.jpg

nice U87, mine is a few years older and looks similar demolished ;)
if you dont have a shockmount included, and dont want to buy a expensive, i can suggest you one of these:
they are called "DSM40" you may find other sellers who carry those, the thread of the locking mechanism on mine broke after 2years of usage, but doesnt matter, for this kind of price. i just ordered 3 ;)

nice U87, mine is a few years older and looks similar demolished ;)
if you dont have a shockmount included, and dont want to buy a expensive, i can suggest you one of these:
they are called "DSM40" you may find other sellers who carry those, the thread of the locking mechanism on mine broke after 2years of usage, but doesnt matter, for this kind of price. i just ordered 3 ;)

Pure gold! That's exactly what I've been searching for the last 3 days! Thanks!

What's different about the old U87 mics? I only heard the AI version and I was very surprised about the sound. Didn't like it at all.

What's different about the old U87 mics? I only heard the AI version and I was very surprised about the sound. Didn't like it at all.

From Neumann's website:

The letter A in the name indicates a more recent generation, as compared to the U 87 i microphones that were built from 1967 to 1986. Modifications apply to the electronic components of the microphone only; the capsule remained unchanged.

The present-day circuitry increases the operational headroom of the U 87 Ai by supplying the bias voltages for the capsule through a reduced resistance. The result is a higher sensitivity of 10 dB for identical sound pressure levels, and an improved S/N ratio of 3 dB.

Parts availability and metals/ manufacturing methods have changed quite a bit over the years as well. Not sure what the supposed sonic differences are really supposed to be betweeen the older u87's and the newer ones. Maybe you can find a comparison?

I think materials and manufacturing has a lot to do with how the older mics sound. I just did a vocal mic shootout between our vintage neumann u67 and telefuneken 251 and a new Rode classic 2. I'll post it up when I get the chance but it's a great illustration of old vs new mics.

Take a look at for a comparison between vintage and new U87s.
Talking with mic nerds here in Italy, they've always told me that the newer U87 AI should be a little more "aggressive" while the vintage ones should be smoother and, overall, better sounding... I tested mine against an AKG 414 XLII (the only other condenser I had around at the moment) on my voice, and it was night and day, obviously!!
The U87 has controlled bass, a nice midrange and smooth highs. It seems almost "already processed". Fuck, it just sounds good!

Last edited by a moderator: