Your Phobia/s?

Originally posted by Lina
Having to walk into somewhere, not knowing where my friends are. UGGGHHHH, those few minutes of searching with all eyes on you (seemingly) are just the worst. I feel uncomfortable in front of crowds like that. I'm way too paranoid about people watching me in social situations. Like, at a concert, I'll be obsessed with the way I'm standing, whether my hair is OK, whether I'm blocking anyone's view, etc. I hate it, but I can't help it.

And yet, I have no qualms about dancing in front of people, which doesn't quite fit.
i'm really self-counscious too.. i hate it :cry:
like right now i'm thinking if it's too stupid to post this.. and i'm doubting... :err:

Having to walk into somewhere, not knowing where my friends are. UGGGHHHH, those few minutes of searching with all eyes on you (seemingly) are just the worst. I feel uncomfortable in front of crowds like that. I'm way too paranoid about people watching me in social situations. Like, at a concert, I'll be obsessed with the way I'm standing, whether my hair is OK, whether I'm blocking anyone's view, etc. I hate it, but I can't help it.

And yet, I have no qualms about dancing in front of people, which doesn't quite fit.

Originally posted by astarte
i'm really self-counscious too.. i hate it :cry:
like right now i'm thinking if it's too stupid to post this.. and i'm doubting... :err:

I think that people shouldn't be worried about what other people think, if you go through life being what other people want you to be, you are not being yourself, I am not saying that you are both living for others, I am just making a point. But why should you care about what poeple at a concert think about you, especially since you'll never see most of them again, and why care what people think of your posts in this forum, you'll never be able to please everyone, post whatever you want to post. I'm sure there are people on this forum who would love to see me removed, but I don't care, some people have fun with me on this forum, and that is what counts.

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
I think that people shouldn't be worried about what other people think, if you go through life being what other people want you to be, you are not being yourself, I am not saying that you are both living for others, I am just making a point. But why should you care about what poeple at a concert think about you, especially since you'll never see most of them again, and why care what people think of your posts in this forum, you'll never be able to please everyone, post whatever you want to post. I'm sure there are people on this forum who would love to see me removed, but I don't care, some people have fun with me on this forum, and that is what counts.

Well, it's not just living for someone else or being yourself.
They probably need to find their place "in the crowd".
One example from my life is when I started posting here.
I was like astarte, didn't know if I should post things or not,
thinking "oh, that's just silly, it's been said before" etc.
But now I don't care because I feel more comfortable in here....
It's the same thing when walking into a place with lots of
unknown people; you need to find your place....

I hate Big crowds of people, expecially when they are drunk, like dances and shit.

Blackspirit, I'm the same way here now, too. Exactly what you wrote is the same with me.

And S4R, I know everything you wrote is the smart approach. I KNOW these things. And yet, I can't turn it off. But I've definitely gotten better about that in recent years. I used to curl my hair and wear makeup every time I left the house, and now I'm just like, fuck it, I'd rather sleep in. And it's not like I'm whining to OTHER people about, "does this make me look fat" or something retarded like that. I keep it all inside. I can't stand people who are outwardly insecure either. I hate people who always have to be accompanied to the bathroom in public.

But the people who ask questions in a big lecture, for instance, piss me off -- it seems uninhibited to a fault, very self-centered to think you should take everyone's time rather than go to the professor after class -- EVEN if I have the same question! :p

I think my constant analysis of my own actions and what other people think of me is caused by the same part of my personality that is constantly questioning/debating social issues in my mind. It's an inability to TURN IT OFF and chill out. :loco:

I think my constant analysis of my own actions and what other people think of me is caused by the same part of my personality that is constantly questioning/debating social issues in my mind. It's an inability to TURN IT OFF and chill out. :loco:

I'm the same way-- I can't turn it off, to the point that all my actions require a great deal of reflection-- sometimes I don't even feel human. I've never felt innocent in my life. :cry: That's why I do philosophy and stuff. It's the curse of being a bit smarter than most people, less instinctual. I guess it's justified in the end. I have learned to "turn it off" though.

my two cents

btw, you arachnophobes (sp?), have you ever had a spider in your mouth? Just few days ago, I had been sipping on can of soda and found a nice surprise in my very last sip. Hehe. I spat, I shouted, I murdered that thing. And now I double check cans I leave unattended for any amount of time. No big deal, I actually (somewhat) like spiders.

Originally posted by Blackspirit
Spiders or anything that's crawling....
That's it I think....
Spiders just freak me out....

yeah i hate spiders, i dont get scared or anything i just have this fear of them crawling up my mouth, nose, ears etc. i dont mind em when i have my trainers on though :heh:

Hmm. I can relate to a lot of this. I forgot most of my fears until they were mentioned here. It's good to know that your not alone in the way you feel about certain things.

it's easy to say.. but really i can't help it.. i tend to double (x10) check everything.... actually after that post i started thinking if "doubting" was misspelled... hehe
when i'm talking to somebody i have to think again and again if what i'm going to say would sound stupid and after i say it i keep thinking about it...
i'm afraid people will think i'm not smart enough, pretty enough, interesting enough and shit like that... i'm a perfectionist so i can't help it.. i wish i could tho :cry:

btw, i've never had a spider in my mouth but i had a HUGE grasshoper jumped to my face... i still shiver when i think about it *shivers*

btw, i've never had a spider in my mouth but i had a HUGE grasshoper jumped to my face... i still shiver when i think about it *shivers*

There you go! Bing bing! There's a fear I have. I'm desensitized to spiders and so on, but those freaking grasshoppers!! :mad: :mad: I forgot all about them- grasshoppers and anything that looks like them such as locusts.

Come to think of it, I'm also deathly afraid of butterflies (not moths). Those things are basically grasshoppers with wings!! (hmm not sure if I'd be afraid of them anymore, but grasshoppers.... :mad: :mad:)

I have a wierd thing with heights...not really a phobia, but it's scary as hell....to show myself I wasn't scared, I went skydiving over the summer...it was so much fun. I'd probably be addicted if it didn't cost so damn much

aah! moths! i hate them.. once i had one flapping between my ear and my hair.. i'm deathly scared of them since then.. somehow i manage to stay cool when there's people around 'cause they think it's completely stupid to be afraid of moths.. but when i'm alone i have to run away screaming

seemingly i've been attacked by every insect in nature :cry:

Originally posted by Sadistik
to show myself I wasn't scared, I went skydiving over the summer...it was so much fun. I'd probably be addicted if it didn't cost so damn much
me too! me too! no one likes heights, but i went mainly to conquer my fear that i don't participate in things enough. i'd always thought it looked like so much fun but i figured it was one of those things i'd spend my whole life wanting to do and never doing. so i signed up with a bunch of people, and one by one they all dropped out, which only made me more determined to do it! i loved it too.

aah! moths! i hate them.. once i had one flapping between my ear and my hair.. i'm deathly scared of them since then.. somehow i manage to stay cool when there's people around 'cause they think it's completely stupid to be afraid of moths.. but when i'm alone i have to run away screaming

seemingly i've been attacked by every insect in nature :cry:

hehe,

this recalls my Brooklyn ghetto days. there's nothing like waking up to find a huge cockroach on your stomach! I'm not talking about those small ones either! I'm talking about those plump 3 inch motherfudgers that can fly and run like the wind! :rolleyes:

hahaha...I lived in Brooklyn from 82-88 (until I was six) in a cracked out neighborhood (but all of Brooklyn was cracked out in the 80's) and I still have memories of those big fucking bugs....