Your thoughts about AtWB

I certainly think this as well, except I'm playing around with "greatest Christian song since the mid-20th century."

Debating whether it is hyperbolic or whether I truly believe it.

Nah, I know that is very common among metalheads. I think for those of us who are Christians, though, Matt is a hero for the richness and density of his lyrical content (so rare in today's Christian music) and how well he blends Christian themes with metal. Actually, "blend" is a bad term. There is no separation of the "Christian" and the "metal" in his songs, they both flow from the same source of inspiration. I've heard several Christian metal bands, classic and obscure, and thus far I think that Matt is the only person who has done it successfully.

Well 2 things, one we know I'm atheist, 2 that aside I listen to lyrics on a band by band basis, there's no reason to listen to lyrics from Suffocation, etc. However NEvermore and a few others do peak my interest!

Well 2 things, one we know I'm atheist, 2 that aside I listen to lyrics on a band by band basis, there's no reason to listen to lyrics from Suffocation, etc. However NEvermore and a few others do peak my interest!
Hence my explanation :)

I do understand the band-by-band concern for lyrics, though. I was just saying that for Christian metalheads, we're usually embarrassed by poor lyrical (and often musical) quality from bands that share our convictions, so we can't help but get excited when a band like Theocracy comes along with intelligent and well-written lyrics.

Hence my explanation :)

I do understand the band-by-band concern for lyrics, though. I was just saying that for Christian metalheads, we're usually embarrassed by poor lyrical (and often musical) quality from bands that share our convictions, so we can't help but get excited when a band like Theocracy comes along with intelligent and well-written lyrics.

Oh yea I understand, those are quite difficult to find. Like I said I dig the arrangements a ton. I'm one of those people that if it's well done it's well done, end of story.

OK, I have some time, so I figure that I might as well post my initial thoughts track-by-track.

I AM - WOW. Honestly, I have a hard time imagining this song's conception except as direct inspiration from the "I AM THAT I AM" himself. It is beautiful music wonderfully constructed and performed from beginning to end. The lyrics, perfectly in tandem with the music, relentlessly paint a picture of the Christian God using rich language drawn from Scripture, tradition, society, and seemingly Matt's own imagination, doctrinally rock-solid, and the result simply brings me to my knees in wonder. God is truly doing something amazing through Theocracy.

The Master Storyteller - Great speedy anthem with a super-catchy chorus; here is where I first started to notice how wonderful the solos are: They display Jon's and Val's (in this case Jon's ;)) respective talent in spades, but are restrained and always complement the music, never overstaying their welcome.

Nailed - Definitely the heaviest and most aggressive Theocracy track in my book; great accomplishment. The music and the lyrics together give one an authentic sense of the strength of Luther's conviction, and while I have some Catholic sympathies, this is far too bad*ss to complain. "See these madmen peddling the works of dead men's souls, collecting on a debt already paid so long ago" \m/

Hide in the Fairytale - A great song, and I love the take on original sin in the lyrics but I think that this is one of the two songs that falls a bit under the radar within the album. Not to say that it is a bad song by any means, like the rest of the album I am constantly playing it over and over. I just think that, being surrounded by such gems, it shines a little less bright.

The Gift of Music - The Psalm of Matt Smith, plain and simple. Melodic glory throughout, and a wonderfully insane solo and buildup toward the end. The exuberently personal, thankful, and praise-filled tone of the song makes it stand out in what is otherwise quite a dark album.

30 Pieces of Silver - Ripping riffs, a catchy chorus, a wonderfully melodic solo, and hauntingly convicting lyrics make this an instant Christian metal classic, though it took me some time to recognize it.

Drown - The second slightly under-the-radar song, this one suffers not from any shortcoming in quality, but rather because its laid-back, mid-tempo rhythms and subdued tone (much less dramatic than the rest of the album) make it feel like an interruption to the general feel of the rest of the album. "The Writing in the Sand" from the last album would have felt the same if it was here, but just like that track, I think that "Drown" is a great tune. Perhaps if it had been the single as Matt wanted, it would have fared much better on its own.

Altar to the Unknown God - That skipping intro still bugs me a bit when I hear it, but as soon as it is gone, it is gone, and a rip-roaring, complex, extremely catchy track takes its place. I might be a bit biased, as the lyrics are based on one of my favorite passages in the Bible. I love the transformation of the song from story into sermon into call to worship. Yet another future classic.

Light of the World - Great melodies and convicted lyrics make for what I must (once again) say is destined to become classic.

As the World Bleeds - Didn't click the first two times, but the third time it was like a revelation - how could I have missed this epic?? Great all-around in every facet that we have come to expect from Theocracy. Love the chorus ("As the world lies bleeding...") and the reprise of the opening melody toward the end.

All around? I cannot rank Theocracy's albums, but As the World Bleeds once again fulfilled massive hopes and expectations, and brings the band's catalogue into darker and more complex territory without losing the melodic and lyrical eloquence.

The Master Storyteller - Great speedy anthem with a super-catchy chorus; here is where I first started to notice how wonderful the solos are: They display Val's talent in spades, but are restrained and always complement the music, never overstaying their welcome.

I just wish Val took the hint and was this restrained when we played live - it would give me my true moment to shine. ;) Just kidding Val!

In seriousness, that's actually me on the Master Storyteller solo. :kickass: Thanks for the words though :)

I just wish Val took the hint and was this restrained when we played live - it would give me my true moment to shine. ;) Just kidding Val!

In seriousness, that's actually me on the Master Storyteller solo. :kickass: Thanks for the words though :)
Oh wow, I don't actually have my physical copy of the album yet (stupid mail) and I guess I just assumed that since Val was listed as the "lead guitars" that I could safely assume all of the solos were his. Whoops! Sorry about that! Edited to give credit where credit is due ;) Great solo, though. Out of curiosity, which other solos are yours?

Ah-ha. As someone who really loves that song, that's really cool to know. :)

As for me, I'm a bit behind many people here, as I haven't had as much of a chance to listen to the album, so I'm still digesting things. I thought about posting some quick impressions, but I think I'll hold off until I can write up a proper review.

I will say this much though - I can already and without hesitation name it my favorite album of the year.

Oh, I saw something on Wikipedia I wanted to ask about.

This is the first album that the founder and lead vocalist, Matt Smith, has only contributed in writing and vocals, due to Val Allen Wood joining as lead guitar player.

Is this accurate? I was under the impression that Matt did the keyboards for the album.

Nice Nightwish avatar.

/off-topic

I have posted my review of this album over at Heavy Metal Haven, but I will have to wait until it is approved by the admin over there. I will link to it when I can. PS: See my signature :p

my physical copies arrived today. I am very impressed with the packaging and the art direction on the vinyl sleeves. my sister is giddy from being able to pop all the bubble wrap that came with the vinyls. hahaha
so nice to have lyrics on hand now

Is this accurate? I was under the impression that Matt did the keyboards for the album.
according to the booklet, Matt did do additional keyboards, but most of the piano and keys were Jon Hinds's handiwork

I feel that this part in Drown is really amazing

Like Peter all those years ago
Who looked away and sank below
When I sink in seas of doubt
Will You take my hand and pull me out?

Listening to that part I got a bit of teary eyes, like when we are in deep worship in the Lord's presence.

according to the booklet, Matt did do additional keyboards, but most of the piano and keys were Jon Hinds's handiwork

Ah, thank you. I didn't know Jon played keys as well.

That's the downside of cheaping it and getting the digital download. Maybe when I have a bit more money on hand I'll order the physical copy.

I think the album is well done with a ton of catchy hooks and well written progressions.

I like the fact Matt has stepped back and allowed other band members to contribute. What I mean by that is, allowing the guitar players to showcase their talents. Matt understands that it's about the band as a whole that makes for good music, not the individual.

This isn't always easy for people that start out on their own like Matt did. Some cannot seem to give up full creative control.

I have listened to Theocracy since the debut album and with every added member and production they get better. Good job fellas!

I feel that this part in Drown is really amazing

Like Peter all those years ago
Who looked away and sank below
When I sink in seas of doubt
Will You take my hand and pull me out?

Listening to that part I got a bit of teary eyes, like when we are in deep worship in the Lord's presence.

Yeah, that song is general is really growing on me. I like it much more now than I did at first.

Best album of the year (by far). At present I believe that I AM is my favourite track, but I've only listened to it once throughout. Matt and co have made yet another astounding album. The depth and creativity is amazing. Some day I'll decide on how good each song is, but right now I'm just blown away by Theocracy's newest album.

Fundy

Maybe when I have a bit more money on hand I'll order the physical copy.
Is it a lot of money, $15 in the US (or whatever country you live in)?
In Europe, even when you add the chipping cost ($8), it costs about 17€, and it's not something you have to save up for (even for us who are a "poor" family). It's less than half the price of a video game...

Is it a lot of money, $15 in the US (or whatever country you live in)?
In Europe, even when you add the chipping cost ($8), it costs about 17€, and it's not something you have to save up for (even for us who are a "poor" family). It's less than half the price of a video game...

No, it's not a large amount of money or anything. Sorry, it sounds like I was poor-mouthing there. Wasn't my intent. I've just had some big bills lately and I'm trying to be cautious, so it seems a little frivolous to buy both the download and the CD at the moment. Even when it's an album this awesome. :)

Ok....after listening to the album a dozen times here is my ranking of songs favorite to least favorite. But first let me preface this ranking by saying none of songs "sucked" or were "weak" by my standards. This album fully solidified Theocracy as my favorite band on the face of the planet. Every song on this album is amazing.

1.) Nailed-Instantly loved this song the moment i heard it. Love the heavy riffs.
2.) I am- Just a great song that has kind of a mirror of souls feel to it. (MOS is my favorite song ever so)
3.) Alter of the Unknown God- Kind of has this 80's style metal tinge to it, plus its super upbeat.
4.) 30 pieces of silver- cool song with some cool trash riffs
5.) Light of world- perhaps the catchiest song on the album
6.) Hide in the fairytale- also a catchy song..but not as catchy as light of the world
7.) Master Storyteller-just an all-around solid song
8.) Drown- loved the this song's lyrics
9.)As the World Bleeds-cool thrashy song that makes you think
10.)Gift of Music- Also kind of has this cool 80's feel to it, but too slow for too long.

p.s. to Val and Jon. You guys really stepped your games up on this album. The shredding on this album is fantastic. Shawn, the drums were amazing once again, Matt, vocals were amazing,especially in nailed. Jared, fantastc job on bass. You fellas should be very proud of this album.:headbang: