Your thoughts about AtWB

Yeah I agree with Ry guy, the guitar work on this album is phenomenal! World class musicianship on all fronts.

I suppose I'll copy RyGuy and post my favorite to least favorite (and give reasons!). I agree with him on the count that none of the songs were bad songs, there were some that were simply better than others.

1. As the World Bleeds - Progressive chord shifts throughout, provoking lyrics. If Mirror of Souls was a tale of redemption and God's capacity to change lives, this is an all-out asssault on the corruption of the world. Unlike MoS, which had a resolution, this album ends on a challenge - we've made you aware of the problem, now what are you going to do about it?
--Music, 9.5; Lyrics, 10; Average, 9.75
2. Altar to the Unknown God - This song was pretty much an instant-hit for me. I love all things Paul, and the song itself is so good and so catchy. The riffing (especially in the bridge) is really cool.
--Music, 9.8; Lyrics, 9.5; Average, 9.65
3. The Master Storyteller - Very nice, American style Power Metal. Guitar-driven verses. Choral chorus. Solo. Fast hook. It's all there, plus a really cool lyrical concept.
--Music, 9.5, Lyrics, 9.7; Average, 9.60
4. Nailed - I will say, this one took a little bit to grow on me (about half a dozen listens), but now I love it. Martin Luther had some great writings, and held some pretty strong beliefs about the failings of works to attain righteousness - beliefs with which I happen to agree.
--Music, 9.8, Lyrics, 9.4; Average, 9.60
5. I Am - Very nice, but I agree with what someone said about the sound feeling out of place. AtWB is the heaviest Theocracy album yet, and this is more of a symphonic metal track than a power metal track. It's a great song (especially lyrically), but I tend to only listen to it when I listen to the entire album.
--Music, 9.2, Lyrics, 9.8; Average, 9.50
6. The Gift of Music - the biggest surprise for me. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did. The lyrics aren't even as cheesy as I feared they would be. Love the bridge and the outro. I don't know if anyone noticed, but the song could have stopped at around 6 minutes and sounded perfectly legitimate, but Theocracy just goes that extra step to ensure greatness.
--Music, 9.5, Lyrics, 8.9; Average, 9.20
7. 30 Pieces of Silver - This just barely beat out Drown, and only then because its heavier, and Matt's scream at the end is more impressive than his scream at the end of drown.
--Music, 9.0; Lyrics, 9.3; Average, 9.15
8. Drown - Cool riffing. Great allegory. It took me a couple listens to get past the "storytelling" parts of the lyrics to realize how personal of a song it is.
--Music, 8.8, Lyrics, 9.5; Average, 9.15
9. Light of the World - Good lyrics, but the intro is an instant turn-off for a metal song. The rest of the song is good, though there is a weird transition in the second verse.... "....like it's all relative after all. To stand like a wall...." ....the use of an infinitive there doesn't really make sense, but otherwise the lyrics are strong.
--Music, 8.5, Lyrics, 9.2; Average, 8.85
10. Hide in the Fairytale - sort of a watered-down version of The Master Storyteller musically, and about Original Sin lyrically. As per the standard with the Theocracy, this over-used concept is given fresh life and a creative touch to ensure it keeps the listener's interest, of course.
--Music, 8.0, Lyrics, 9.2; Average, 8.60

Is this album not being sold in UK mp3 stores? This is how I intended to buy it, but haven't seen it show up yet.

Oh, I want to add that the nail-hitting sound in Nailed always reminds me of Lord Jesus' crucifixion (as in the Passion movie when His hands are being nailed). I know it's actually about Martin Luther nailing the 95 thing on the door, but I prefer to meditate on the Lord's sacrifice when I hear that sound in the bridge section.

Ok, here goes my impression of the album:
  1. I AM
    My personal favorite! Great lyrics, epic chorus and instrumental section. I could never get enough of the multi-vocals part!
  2. The Master Storyteller
    This is one of those tracks that I simply don't like in the first listen, but grow to love and adore in the way. The verse is what I didn't like at first, but the chorus and solo sections are great.
  3. Nailed
    One of the favorites of the album, and it seems everyone agrees with this. The highlights of this song is the higher pitched "There's fire in my spirit" singing followed by the softer part with the classic guitar, the intro and outro.
  4. Hide in the Fairytale
    Probably my least favorite. It seems somehow inferior to the rest of the songs. Its redeeming quality is the chorus that is one of the catchiest of the album.
  5. The Gift of Music
    It seems that almost every metal album in the world must have at least one power ballad :p and this is a worthy power ballad to fit this album! How Matt managed to take such a simple concept and fit amazing lyrics around it is something not many people can do. The one thing I didn't like is how it transitions to the second half. Not that it's bad, and I may eventually grow to like it, but it could have been different.
  6. 30 Pieces of Silver
    This songs suffers from the same curse On Eagles Wings suffered. That is, it was released before the album! I got to listen to it so many times before that I can't decide what its place is compared to the rest of the album. Every other song is new, but this is not. Nonetheless, it's a great song and I totally dig the outro.
  7. Drown
    Like The Master Storyteller it didn't make much of an impression at first, but eventually got to like it. It has a catchy chorus and a nice solo.
  8. Altar to the Unknown God
    My second favorite, and it rivals I AM. Fast-paced, catchy chorus. The second verse and last verse (after the solo) have some kind of charm to them. They sound kind of similar to a faster version of "The light from the mirror you saw from afar, the mirror of souls shows a man as they are. You entered the hall, and you asked for the truth: The man that you saw in the mirror was you!" (from Mirror of Souls). After the second chorus, the guitar riffs get crazier with harmonics and licks. The higher pitched vocals that follow are an amazing buildup. The solo after them is one of the best of the album. There's simply not one bad thing I can say about this song!
    I've read somewhere that someone says they don't like how the intro cuts off. Even though that could be true, as I don't usually like artificial effects when it comes to the vocals, but it totally fits! I could say the same about the fade-in vocal effects that appear at some times.
  9. Light of the World
    This used to be one of my least favorite songs, but it's slowly growing in me and I like it a lot. The thing I like least about it is the chorus, but the rest is great.
  10. As the World Bleeds
    My biggest complaint about this song is that the beginning sounds way too much like a recurring theme from Mirror of Souls. If you don't understand which I'm talking about, it's the theme of "I question my fate, my end to die in this storm, Maybe this was the plan back from the day I was born." I usually don't mind it when parts remind me of other songs and I understand it that bands do that all the time, but in this case I feel it stands out too much :p. However, it's still a great song.

Overall, I'm very happy about this album and I'm glad that Theocracy are evolving. Val seems to have filled the last remaining gap. Anything I said I don't like is just me being nit-picky. Not one song is bad, but some naturally stand out more than others. I can say with certainty that this is a better album than Mirror of Souls and it has raised the bar to what Theocracy can do. I know it's too soon, but I can't wait to see what Theocracy has in store for us for the fourth album!

Well I finally listened to the whole album on Rdio (my pre-ordered CD hasn't arrived yet), and I am completely blown away.

I admit, I wasn't amazed by Thirty Pieces of Silver when it was released; I liked it, but it just seemed be missing a lot of instrumentation. So I was a tiny bit worried that this album wouldn't live up to Mirror of Souls. But as soon as I Am started playing, WOW! Amazing all the way through. Almost every song on the album was immediately catchy, musically complex, and lyrically moving. Theocracy's sound has only matured and gotten better, but I was also happy to hear some more progressive sections reminiscent of songs on the first Theocracy album, such as Serpent's Kiss, Healing Hand, etc. (such progressiveness was, I think, a bit lacking in Mirror of Souls).

Several people have been a bit down on Light of the World for various reasons; I couldn't disagree more. It might be my favorite one. From the introduction to the end, it was such a beautiful, catchy song!

What is most encouraging about the whole album is this: Theocracy songs always grow on me. Even Theocracy songs that I initially disliked (which were few) have all grown on me until they are favorites. So when nearly every song on the album is so immediately likeable, I know that with time this will become my absolute favorite album in my possession. :D:D:D

Can't wait for the CD to arrive!!

Well, after quite a few listens, I love this album. My favorites are the more progressive pieces--I Am, Nailed, and Gift of Music--the rest fight for dominance depending on my mood. In my opinion, there is not a weaker piece to be found.

---Prem

Just got it in the mail yesterday and am loving it!. Listening to it over and over. On the first play through, the songs that made me say "this one is awesome" was The Gift of Music and Altar to The Unknown God. And after listening to the album through a few times, now I just love every track the same. Can't really say I have a favorite cause I love jammin them all, so none is better than the other to me.

Only thing that threw me off just a little is when that keyboard solo thing came up on I Am, is that the melody switch was taken out. I was like "awww" Was so ready to jam out to that when I heard it start. Still awesome though, and I know how things change creatively so it aint no thing.

It's in this vid for those who don't know what i'm talking about. The melody switch on the keys at 0:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TtcUdnI4go

Just received it ! After 2 two full listens of it, I have only one word to say, amesome !!
Haha, and BTW the artworks in the booklet are really beautiful, a bit dark, but beautiful :D

As other did I will comment each track, and then the whole album :
- I AM : I already listened to it, but how great this track is !! It's one of my favourites, very progressive, and I love the keyboard section, and the ending is just... wow... you want it to continue, but it ends... this song is too short... really ! :D
It has only one flaw at the beginning IMO (after the intro when the guitars come, and just before the keyboard) it's a bit empty.
- The Master Storyteller : Perfect song. Really love the chorus, it's very catchy and epic. The solo is epic too. And the lyrics are very good as usual ! The lyrical concept is interesting, one of my favs !
- Nailed : Already listened to it on youtube, and I told what I think of it, it is really a great song.
- Hide in the Fairytale : I love all of this song, except the chorus, which does not sound as epic as the rest of the song.
- The Gift of Music : this was a great surprise. It begins like a ballad, I really love the guitars in this first part, very melodic. The second part is like one of the best moments of the album, epic instrumental part, epic solo, and epic speed metal fury at the end. This song rocks YEAAAH :D. One of my favourite.
- 30 Pieces of Silver : I already listened to it, I love the solo and the chorus. But there are some things that disturbs me, and it's probably my "least favourite".
- Drown : Absolutely great midtempo song. The chorus is beautiful, and the solo is powerful. I love the climax of this song. It's one of my favs ! It is also one of my favourites lyrically !
- Altar to the Unknown God : Instant like. Really good structure, and it is perfect from beginning to end (though the cut-off of the voice made me laugh a little at the beginning :rofl:), the chorus is epic, and the solo... just WOW !
- Light of the World : I see that a lot of people didn't like a lot this song, but this is one of the best for me : When you listen to it you instantly feel good, it is fresh, melodic, and the solos are... excellent... I'm currently listening to this song and I can't stop jumping on my chair in the second solo :rofl: !! Lyrically what you say here had to be said, and that's more or less the message our pastor gave to us in these weeks...
- As The World Bleeds : Just perfect, great guitar work, with a very progressive structure, a lot of speed guitar shredding, SOLOS, and an absolutely beautiful ending. I'm stocked OO. It's my all-time favourite song I think. I may say that because I just discovered it, but wow, this song is amazing. And I really love the lyrics, because it points out some truths that need to be said, and answer to a big question : "If there is a God, why is this world going so bad ? - Listen to As The World Bleeds and you'll know !"

As for the whole album, it's very different from Mirror of Souls, but still keeps that Theocracy touch we all love. Some tracks are very progressive and melodic, and tracks like 'I AM' have a thing that was missing on MoS : emotion.
It is as fresh as MoS, but with more... SOLOS, more melodies and progressive / instrumental touches... I think it really takes the best things from both Theocracy and Mirror of Souls and mix them together to have this result.

The only shortcoming of this album is that the structure Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Solo is a little bit redundant (The Master Storyteller, Hide In the Fairytale, 30 Pieces of Silver, Light of the World). But hopefully the songs are great and different enough to keep it interesting all the way...

Favourites : As The World Bleeds, I AM, The Gift of Music, The Master Storyteller, Nailed, Alter to the Unknown God, Light of the World, Drown (there is no particular order of preference)
Least favourites : 30 Pieces of Silver, Hide in the Fairytale

My vocabulary is a very limited and I cannot say exactly what I think, but this album is bomb for me !!
Thanks Theocracy, God bless you !!

^ yeah, I love Altar to the Unknown God, but I wasn't big on the techno-ish cut-off voice thing at the beginning. It would have been more epic to just hear the whole choir.

Yeah... it's surprising the first time (it made me laugh :rofl:), but I think it made a "funny" effect... But what really disappointed me was the beginning of Light of The World, because the intro does not sound "mature", but a little childish and cheesy, but if you exclude that part the song is perfect :)

Only thing that threw me off just a little is when that keyboard solo thing came up on I Am, is that the melody switch was taken out. I was like "awww" Was so ready to jam out to that when I heard it start. Still awesome though, and I know how things change creatively so it aint no thing.
Understand what you mean, I expected this part too. But the melodic line at the end seems to be gone in the vocals "I am power, I am glory..."

Actually, I really liked the opening of Light of the World. Oh well, to each his own. :) Only thing was it kind of jumped into the verse a bit suddenly.

Just something I was pondering today.....

With the release of ATWB, they've given us 3 albums, with 28 songs total. Multiple masterpieces. Not a single bad song. 5 songs over the 10 minute mark, and another coming close to it - yet none of them FEEL long, if you get my drift.

Pretty dang impressive, if you ask me. Not only is Theocracy a fantastic band, but they are so consistent it's almost scary. :)

Just something I was pondering today.....

With the release of ATWB, they've given us 3 albums, with 28 songs total. Multiple masterpieces. Not a single bad song. 5 songs over the 10 minute mark, and another coming close to it - yet none of them FEEL long, if you get my drift.

Pretty dang impressive, if you ask me. Not only is Theocracy a fantastic band, but they are so consistent it's almost scary. :)

Thanks, that means a lot. One of my goals has always been to never release a weak/filler song. Sometimes that means it takes longer between albums, but I think it's worth it in the end. :)