Your thoughts about AtWB

Thanks, that means a lot. One of my goals has always been to never release a weak/filler song. Sometimes that means it takes longer between albums, but I think it's worth it in the end. :)

Definitely worth it. It really shows that a lot of hard work as well as lots of (sounds corny, but I can't think of a better way to put it) heart and soul went into each of these songs. Well worth the wait.

I concur. I don't think there's any filler here or on any of their albums. I also appreciate how the lyrics have a depth that is not always present in a lot of Christian music lyrics. Definitely a candidate for album of the year (right next to Dream Theater's new one for me).

Seriously guys STOP WRITING SUCH CATCHY MUSIC!!!! I haven't stopped listening to this since it came in the mail, absolutely stunning...and it gets better with each listen! No weak tracks, fillers, or bad points, definitely Divinely inspired.

I AM - feels like God is just speaking to my heart. The middle part with the piano is totally headbanging mania!! Probably my favorite...song....ever??? So good!!

The Master Storyteller - is like the story of God writing the Bible, with the chorus sticking in your head for days. Great solo too.

Nailed - Its amazing how Theocracy can make such a heavy song, then turn the chorus into a praise/powerful song with a breakdown in the end...:worship: One of the best on the album for sure and one of my new favorite songs.

Hide in the Fairytale - Chorus and ending is so catchy! Amazing lyrics of the old/new man (never thought I'd hear that concept in a METAL song!!:kickass:)

The Gift of Music - Took a while to get into but now its one of my favorites! So emotional and passionate...Its like Matt just telling us his heart for music. Double bass anyone??? AMAZING!!!

30 Pieces of Silver - Beginning riff is heavyyyy! Didn't love the chorus at first...now i can't stop singing it!! Lyrics make you think (as all of Matt's does) and the solo is so sweet! Val. you are such a good shredder!! Some other shredders don't have feeling or emotion but you play so effortlessly and beautiful...oh and fast!!!

Drown - Love that beginning riff (though i do wish it lasted longer...). The chorus i think more experimental in the chord structure? Its very good though and the lyrics are awesome! How he can turn a Bible story into everyday life while still maintaining the emotion of the story that happened so long ago is great!

Altar to the Unknown God - Where to begin!?!? Awesome chorus, awesome verse, awesome solos. What a song!! Top 3 on the album for sure. And that riff in the middle is so headbangingly ingenius!!! So heavy!! Beast song

Light of the World - A little turned off by the intro as it sounded a little cheesy. But the verse is very powerful. This one is not as much of a headbanger as a catchy power metal song i think, but i love those so this is no exception. Lyrics are good and very challenging as a Christian and it seems like this song is definitely aimed at Christians so its not as mainstream, but i love this one.

As the World Bleeds - Wow! Took me like 5 listens to fully grasp this one as there is a lot going on, and the chorus originally didn't grab me like others did, but now i can see just how good this is!! Brutal riff near the end and VERY challenging and convicting lyrics that are so true!

Thanks Matt and all the guys for not being ashamed to speak the truth and having awesome music!!! :headbang:

I've only had the album for 5 days now, so I'm still getting used to it. I actually haven't read most of this thread yet, because I don't want others' opinions of the songs to sway me until I've come to my own conclusions. After about 10 times through the entire album, I do have one observation so far: Hide in the Fairytale might end up being my favorite Theocracy song ever. Wow, wow, wow! I cannot stop listening to it. The lyrics are amazing. The chorus is possibly one of the most catchy they have ever written. It is constantly in my head and I end up walking around and pumping my fist to the "Day and night" running through my head (my co-workers must think I'm crazy :Spin:). I am constantly hitting repeat on this song.

I did a quick search in this thread just to see what people said on that one song: wow, you are all crazy! I can't believe the lack of love for it.

@SeaStorm
I really, really, love Hide in the Fairytale, too. I don't know if it's my favorite, just because I like all the songs so much. But it's way up there.

I've only had the album for 5 days now, so I'm still getting used to it. I actually haven't read most of this thread yet, because I don't want others' opinions of the songs to sway me until I've come to my own conclusions. After about 10 times through the entire album, I do have one observation so far: Hide in the Fairytale might end up being my favorite Theocracy song ever. Wow, wow, wow! I cannot stop listening to it. The lyrics are amazing. The chorus is possibly one of the most catchy they have ever written. It is constantly in my head and I end up walking around and pumping my fist to the "Day and night" running through my head (my co-workers must think I'm crazy :Spin:). I am constantly hitting repeat on this song.

I did a quick search in this thread just to see what people said on that one song: wow, you are all crazy! I can't believe the lack of love for it.

Hide In The Fairytale is a super-catchy song, definitely. It may end up being the most underrated track. Personally, I find The Master Storyteller to be the catchiest song on there, but that's me.

Actually, the whole album is catchy. Every song is instantly memorable and can easily get stuck in your head. That's something that's sometimes lacking in metal, in particular prog metal or prog-leaning metal. A lot of times I will listen to song and while I'll be impressed with the artists' work, I might have trouble recalling how it went afterward.

No problem with that on ATWB though. Come to think of it, I've never had that issue with ANY Theocracy song. Which kind of ties in with what I was saying earlier, I guess.

This album has to be the best CD I have ever owned! I have owned A LOT of music too. It's heavy, its slow (not in a bad way, but the beginning of The Gift of Music as an example), its catchy and fast..everything a person could want for any type of music. I definitely agree with Verbum Lux on the consistancy and the length of the tracks. Some bands' 3 minute songs seem longer than MoS at 23 minutes because of their lack of ability to really display their passion for the song or song material. I hear influence from bands that I have enjoyed for years now, except now it's got Theocracy's stamp on it and they have stepped up the quality of the music once again and Matt's crafting of songs is that much stronger. I am really hoping to see you guys live someday, it would definitely be an honor!

Yesterday it finally arrived! A bit late and a bit more expensive than the shop I usually order my cds, but it's signed! How cool is that! :D Anyway, I listened to it in one take, sufficiently amplified. :)

First impression: :OMG:

Yesterday it finally arrived! A bit late and a bit more expensive than the shop I usually order my cds, but it's signed! How cool is that! :D Anyway, I listened to it in one take, sufficiently amplified. :)

First impression: :OMG:

Precisely what happened to me yesterday, good day. I've resisted the temptation of throwing the album on my iPod like cheap trash to give it the full attention listening it deserves.;)

*Warning, here comes the speech*

Thanks Theocracy, without a doubt I knew this album would be worth the long wait, but you guys never stop stunning me with your fantastic music. May God bless you five!

Listened to the album 11 times and a bit, today. Gonna call it a day. :)

Whilst I have been listening to the album many many times after downloading it from iTunes on the release date, today I just received the CD from Amazon! It's really well presented, and I love the different artwork for each song. Really compliments the album.

As for the album itself, I can't stop listening to it. It is absolutely brilliant, no song excluded, and it's obvious from the sheer quality that the album received a lot of care and attention from every member of the band. Every song is finely crafted and feels original, exciting and fresh even after many listens.

Keep up the good work Theocracy!

Okay, so I was listening to I Am the other day while I was cleaning and my mom happened to be in a nearby room. After the song ended my mom promptly asked me "Who was that?". Know my parents usually are not fans of the same music I am, I was sure she was going to say it was too loud or she did not like it. I answered "It was Theocracy" and she quickly replied "That sounded really good...that's who I thought that was" (because I have been raving about the album ever since I got it). For her to like it, it must be good.

I love all the details they put into the songs. The use of reverse reverbs, the delays, the short descending violin after the line "The actors greatest role" Very cool stuff.

After all this time listening, the song ranking goes like this:
1. I AM, Altar to the Unknown God
2. Gift of Music, Light of the World, Drowned
3. Nailed, Master Storyteller, Hide in the Fairytale, As the World Bleeds.

I AM and Altar are still always my favourite songs, but the rest go up and down like that.

I love all the details they put into the songs. The use of reverse reverbs, the delays, the short descending violin after the line "The actors greatest role" Very cool stuff.

I like that too, but I think it's a guitar :p

On a side note, I AM has now 46 listens... And, because in order for the counter to increase, the song has to completely end, that's NOT counting all the times I stopped it at like 5 seconds before it finished to make it repeat (or skip the Master Storyteller to jump straight to Altar and get back later), or the dozens of times I listened to it in the car...

I love this album. There’s a passion and intensity which draws me into the music. After a month of heavy play, I’m not tuning out any of the songs and still want to listen to it.

The lyrics fit perfectly with the music and the mood of each song fits with the lyrics to form a nice, tight package. The songs are vivid so that it’s like reading a book. I see the ‘loving family man’, or a group of people toasting our loss, or Jesus dying silently while angels waited for him to call. It’s the attention to the small details—the correctly placed emphasis or right sound for the mood—that pulls each song together to make it work. Each aspect seems to have been given a lot of thought so that the components work together to form an excellent finished product.

Oh and the cover art is great. I don’t have the physical CD to see the inside, but the front cover is very cool.

Anyway, I appreciate artists who seem to put every ounce of effort they can to make their product as good as they possibly can, and I feel like that happened here. Great job and $10.00 well spent.

Okay, so I was listening to I Am the other day while I was cleaning and my mom happened to be in a nearby room. After the song ended my mom promptly asked me "Who was that?". Know my parents usually are not fans of the same music I am, I was sure she was going to say it was too loud or she did not like it. I answered "It was Theocracy" and she quickly replied "That sounded really good...that's who I thought that was" (because I have been raving about the album ever since I got it). For her to like it, it must be good.

Heh...so, it's Mom-approved. Awesome!

---Prem