Your Top 2008 releases so far...

This year sucked. I thought last year had a bunch of good stuff..

off the top of my head:

Decrepit Birth
Esoteric
Opeth - Thought was way better than Ghost...
Enslaved
Russian Circles - Station
Neil Diamond - Home Before Dark

I'm sorry, but did you just say "socksucker"????? :lol:

well I got it from an expression in my country "chupamedias" chupa is suck and medias is socks, literally a socksucker. a "Chupamedias" is a person who does everything for someone out of pure interest, normally because the other person is famous. If Jasonic does Pauls laundry and does him an excesive amount of dumb favors cause paul is famous and he wants to be pauls friend he is being a "chupamedias". but yeah it does sound really funny in english

Edit: a loose translation would be "flatterer" or something like that

I actually didn't listen all the new albums enough yet...

1. Enslaved - Vertebrea
2. Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War (yeah Holland)
3. Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living
4. Ayreon - 01011001 (only one here? :oops:)
5. Agalloch - The White EP
6. Opeth - Watershed
7. Evergrey - Torn
8. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
9. Bloodbath - Wacken Carnage (live... I know)
10. Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky EP

If Jasonic does Pauls laundry and does him an excesive amount of dumb favors cause paul is famous and he wants to be pauls friend he is being a "chupamedias". but yeah it does sound really funny in english

Edit: a loose translation would be "flatterer" or something like that

You're right on with your interpretation there... :lol:

Dear lord!!!

I prefer to be known as "Superfan" as opposed to "socksucker" BTW.....

dabears.jpg

Alright Jason, Ditka versus metal. Ditka is playing a 5 string bass though...

hey Jasonic, I'm your "super-fan,man. We all do favors for others from time to time, and if it's true that you washed Paul's "soiled" shorts,well, to me that's just fuckin' sickly amazing. On course, your posts are well thought out and helpful. That's why I'm your super-fan Jasonic.

I programmed myself years ago so that whatever opeth does I'll love it, hell they can turn Emo and I'll still be an Opeth socksucker (for the ladies).

I'm not trying to rip on you here, but do you realize just how pathetic this sounds? This is such a "sheep" mentality. This is what separates a fan and a fanboy, and not something to be proud of really. I'm sure the record company will love you for saying that, but somehow I think respectable musician would disregard any fan who no longer needs to think.

Sorry to be harsh but to me, it's comments like this that is a MAJOR problem with music today. If a band has too many fanboys like this, they can easily get lazy and write crap, because the fanboys will always suck socks or however you put it. :lol:

I'm not trying to rip on you here, but do you realize just how pathetic this sounds? This is such a "sheep" mentality. This is what separates a fan and a fanboy, and not something to be proud of really. I'm sure the record company will love you for saying that, but somehow I think respectable musician would disregard any fan who no longer needs to think.

Sorry to be harsh but to me, it's comments like this that is a MAJOR problem with music today. If a band has too many fanboys like this, they can easily get lazy and write crap, because the fanboys will always suck socks or however you put it. :lol:

no offense taken paul, i totally get what you mean, i guess you got it kinda the wrong way. I meant it more as the fact that Im not those "tr00 kvlt" fans who only like the first two albums of every band and the rest all suck cause they sold out (as in what those people say), instead I totally dig a band doing something new every album, and dont waste my time judging or analyzing if it surpasses the other. It is music people, music is made to enjoy and cherish not to judge!! And I mentioned Emo specifically because (yes, kill me) I enjoy and listen to many Emo-hardcore bands, so I know I could take it. So to put it straight, I said that because I am very openminded towards music (and sex but I wont discuss that right now, anything but penis and feaces please) and enjoy pretty much all kind of metal, rock, classical, jazz, and sometimes pop music. Plus I said that because i trust Opeth blindly, in the sense that they will always innovate but they wont put out a salsa record for gods sake. I love when bands evolve and do new stuff, thats why my favorite bands are opeth, Carcass (I love ALL ALBUMS equally), Mars volta, Tool. you get my point? youre totally right about what you said and it did sound like that, just hope with my explanation you let me off the hook?? probably if i wash your soiled underwear? suck your socks? dont hate me Mr Kuhr :)

no offense taken paul, i totally get what you mean, i guess you got it kinda the wrong way. I meant it more as the fact that Im not those "tr00 kvlt" fans who only like the first two albums of every band and the rest all suck cause they sold out (as in what those people say), instead I totally dig a band doing something new every album, and dont waste my time judging or analyzing if it surpasses the other. It is music people, music is made to enjoy and cherish not to judge!! And I mentioned Emo specifically because (yes, kill me) I enjoy and listen to many Emo-hardcore bands, so I know I could take it. So to put it straight, I said that because I am very openminded towards music (and sex but I wont discuss that right now, anything but penis and feaces please) and enjoy pretty much all kind of metal, rock, classical, jazz, and sometimes pop music. Plus I said that because i trust Opeth blindly, in the sense that they will always innovate but they wont put out a salsa record for gods sake. I love when bands evolve and do new stuff, thats why my favorite bands are opeth, Carcass (I love ALL ALBUMS equally), Mars volta, Tool. you get my point? youre totally right about what you said and it did sound like that, just hope with my explanation you let me off the hook?? probably if i wash your soiled underwear? suck your socks? dont hate me Mr Kuhr :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant. I do see your point now, and I would agree with some of it as well. You mention carcass, I actually was NOT a fan until Heartwork. I enjoy their "new" style.

Not including live albums or re-issues:
Virgin Black - Requiem - Fortissimo
Remembrance - Silencing the Moments
Dark Sanctuary - Exaudi Vocem Meam, Part II
Bloodbath - Unblessing the Purity
Agalloch - The White EP

Anticipating/Still need to get:
Arckanum - Antikosmos
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Mourning Beloveth - A Disease for the Ages
Marillion - Happiness Is the Road
Virgin Black - Requiem - Pianissimo
And I'm surely forgetting a host of others...

This year as been somewhat dissappointing for me, really. The new Opeth, the new Bloobath full-length, the new Metallica, the new Woods of Ypres... all albums that just aren't what I thought they'd be.

In Alphabetical order:

Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
Biomechanical - Cannibalized
Cynic - Traced In Air
Echidna - Insidious Awakening
Gojira - The Way Of The Flesh
Journey - Revelation
Kataklysm - Prevail
Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus
OHM - Circus Of Sound
Prostitute Disfigurement - Descendants Of Depravity
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Sieges Even - Playgrounds
Suspyre - When Time Fades...
Volbeat - Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood
Vomit The Hate - Of Ignorance And Self Destruction
Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver

hey Jasonic, I'm your "super-fan,man. We all do favors for others from time to time, and if it's true that you washed Paul's "soiled" shorts,well, to me that's just fuckin' sickly amazing. On course, your posts are well thought out and helpful. That's why I'm your super-fan Jasonic.

BEST.POST.HERE.EVER!

Paul and SlipkyesBass -
I am 50 / 50 on both your viewpoints.

To Paul's point, it has been proven that a lot of bands get lazy as they get more popular. In all honesty, I personally feel this is due to so many bands spending almost TOO much time on the road and not enough time writing material.

Let's take Opeth for example. I would venture to say its a safe bet that they took a lot longer time to write and record Blackwater Park than they have with their most recent output (That's not to rip on their newer material, but to speak to the fact that they tour a lot more now)

To SlipkyesBass's point though, as a superfan or fanboy (or whatever you call it), I can see how you would be able to relate to any material a band you like puts out. Speaking for myself, there are many bands where I am such a fanboy of that I could enjoy to some degree even the weakest albums from many long running bands (Such as Helloween, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, and Trouble).

I think any long running band who tours a lot is going to run into situations where they have to meet a deadline and rush out an album that might contain a few hits and a lot of misses (IE - filler).

So, not that you asked me to judge your debate, but I would call this one a wash, as I think you are both right and both make valid points that Jasonic agrees with.