Your Top 2009 releases so far...

I generally only dig on bootlegs there's some sort of personal connection to. Perhaps the idiot screaming "FREE BIRD" was me or maybe cloing my eyes allows me to recreate every pose/stage move because I saw the band so much during that period. Still, I generally prefer an excreable quality boot to a nice glossy overdubbed pro-tools nightmare of a "live album" that's honestly only a thinly veiled best-of compilation.

I hate to get off topic, but the mention of "old school bootlegs" made my ears perk!

I used to go to Record Conventions back in the late 80s at the Hillside Holiday Inn. I got into SO many metal and punk bands from buying cassette bootlegs.

Somewhere (either in my crawlspace, parent's house or storage) have tons of old thrash and punk bootlegs.

I remember first getting into metal and searching for the Opeth videos... there was the "Forest of October" and "Demon of the Fall" bootlegs which were really awesome.

This is actually the same exact video... It was the first result on youtube, I guess people still consider it a good one...

In Absentia is my favorite PT too. The following CDs were great but they just couldn't top this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken from the Opeth forum.

"http://dreamtheaterforums.org/forum/...?topic=23336.0

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 13, 2009

New York, NY:

Progressive metal veterans DREAM THEATER have announced BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS as the title of their tenth studio album. The band commenced work on the album – their second for Roadrunner Records, following up 2007's Systematic Chaos — in October of last year.

Roadrunner will release the record on June 23. In addition to the standard version CD, the album will also be available on vinyl LP, as well as a three-disc Special Edition CD that will include the full album, a CD of instrumental mixes of the album and a CD of six cover songs, the titles of which will be revealed at a later date.

Six weeks prior to the June 23 street date, Roadrunner will release one cover song per week through digital retailers.

Drummer Mike Portnoy and guitarist John Petrucci are once again at the helm as producers, while Paul Northfield mixed the record.

The band will embark on a world tour in support of the album beginning in Europe throughout June which will be followed by the second edition of the band’s PROGRESSIVE NATION tour featuring Zappa Plays Zappa, Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish throughout North America in July/August.

A video for the first single, "A Rite of Passage" will be shot in late March.

The track listing for BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS is as follows:

1. A Nightmare to Remember
2. A Rite of Passage
3. Wither
4. The Shattered Fortress
5. The Best of Times
6. The Count of Tuscany"

It's top releases so far this thread, that means releases you've liked that have come out so far, not one that is scheduled for the 4th quarter 2009. :p

Well, people have been talking about not yet realesed albums in this thread before. I think this thread should be about 2009 music overall, kind of pointless having another thread about 2009 music not yet released.

New Dream Theater should kick butt though, but from the samples I've heard, it sounds like they're trying to capitalise on sounds from the past.... which sure, it would be good, but at what cost? :D

I haven't heard that much from Dream Theater. I have Train of Thought and the latest one and Train of Thought is way better than the latest. I would rather see them do something new... Without La Brie (or whatever his name is).

Fun Fact-- My roommate Willie was the guitar tech on that Opeth/Nevermore tour from 2001, and they're using my old Carvin guitar amp in that video, lol. A few dates into the tour, one of the guitar amps got busted and it was right before the Chicago date, so when I came out to the show I brought that head for them to use and they used it for the rest of the tour. Dunno which one of them is using it here, Mike or Peter.

It's funny that my amp got to travel to places and perform in venues that I still have not, LOL.

Anyhow, sorry to go off-topic, seeing that video just made me remember all that....

Wait who you think I am? Vito??

Well then you and the band can go call Mike up and see if he'll come play his cleaner tighter guitar playing for you guys, I'm sure that'll go well. We're just an Opeth wannabe band anyhow, according to some.

Ironic that everyone here seemed to react to that comment so quickly, heh.

Hahah, sorry Larry. Every band ever made is an Opeth wannabe band, at least in metal.... according to Opeth fanboys..... :)