Your Top 2009 releases so far...

Guys... And Katatonic89, I'm not picking on you here...

Please don't openly admit to stealing music here. We all know it exists, and a lot of people here are OK with it, but some are not. My Dying Bride are very good friends of ours, so please respect that the same way we ask you not to talk about downloading our music. If you do it, FINE. If you want to discuss your feeling on the music, FINE. For all we know, you got a legit copy, and no one is the wiser, but please don't brag about stealing it.

That's all.

Lamers...I think samples are a pretty good way of checking out whether it's good enough to buy. I can't think of many instances where I listened to samples of an album, and then was disappointed after I bought it. Usually I can get a pretty good idea of whether or not it's worth my time and money from the online samples.

What's funny is......from what I have heard of the new MDB, I really like it!! Aaron's vocals sound better than.....well, ever, lol. It's got a really bleak doomy feel to it that hasn't been so prevalent with them for years, and that's part of what appealed to me about them in the first place. I'm not the biggest most devout MDB fan so maybe this just sits differently with me than it does for some of you guys. I have not heard the cd in it's entirety yet, but from the songs I have heard, I am eager to hear the rest.

I found this on lastfm regarding Porcupine Tree:

"At porcupintreeforum.co.uk, someone who was at todays signing session has said... "New album... is written. They start the recording this coming Sunday (15th March), hoping to get it finished by May, and the release is set for the end of September. It's scheduled to be a double. The first CD is one long 55 minute track ("Epic" said our man Steven). Then the 2nd CD will be a whole load of shorter tracks. "But plans can change" said Steven, so nothing is certain. I think he's going HEAVIER with this one, as there was mention of "drop B tuning" which to me sounds "interesting".""

If this is true I cant wait for this album! Porcupine Tree never fails to deliver something other than great music and it's nice to see that they still are changing (if it's true).

Completely forgot about the upcoming new TROUBLE, tentatively titled THE DARK RIFF.
Will be interesting to hear how Kory Clark fairs in the studio with TROUBLE.

I honestly like the new MDB. However, their "classics" never really did it for me. Dug on the really early stuff (whatever was compiled on Trinity) and 34.788572781953489-30852894529527052052375239852334 Complete but nothing else.

I know the material from "The light at the end of the world" to the present very well, and I know Turn loose the Swans and early kind of.... Its inbetween that, that I havent even heard.

Back to Topic, I really hope ObliterHATE, the death metal project featuring Dan Swano and James Murphy comes out this year

I might have liked the new MDB if the bass was more present... I can barely make it out a lot of the time, that makes the music seem a lot more light with less depth in my opinion... Though I think they really simplified their performances too. The addition of the violin is great but in almost all cases where a violin is present, other elements need to be stripped away to make room for it. :( I am not telling anyone not to buy it, by all means, this is a great band and I have always loved their work.... Just because the new CD is not for me doesn't mean you won't love it. ;)

Porcupine Tree is good too.... I didn't know they were making a new one already but that should be pretty swell.

Prff. FoaBP was a millions time better than Deadwing. I still prefer In Absentia though. I don't know really, all of their albums are great hahaha. I hear they're also releasing yet another live DVD.

I have yet to see a bootleg live video that I enjoy, the sound quality is always so terrible... even with bands like The Crown, who actually did a little mixing on bootlegs and released them officially. they just never get me wet

I've had some bootlegs that I've loved, actually. Audio quality is often inferior but that's not always a major detriment. Thank god for some of the old bootlegs from the "old days" of metal, otherwise certain performances and bands would've been completely lost to the ages.

Well the PT one I have was ripped from TV or something, it's very good quality actually. The set list is almost exactly the same from their first DVD though...

The bootlegs I really approve of are the ones of bands whom most would never get to see or experience otherwise. I've owned/viewed bootlegs of old Celtic Frost, DBC, Blind Illusion, Possessed, Sindrome, Devastation (the REAL Devastation from Chicago, not Tx.!!!), Winter, etc. I think it's great that they exist because most of us would never have gotten the chance to see those bands otherwise, or at least not the full-original bands in their heyday.

"Cliff 'Em All" is a collection of various bootleg clips, of varying quality. And while the lack of quality might be annoying to some, I think the general consensus, including that of Metallica themselves, is "thank god someone filmed this stuff!" Otherwise there'd be hardly ANY live evidence of Cliff Burton out there, other than those couple of semi-pro videos that were shot (and still never released officially other than on said compilation).

Anyhow sorry to veer so far off topic.

So far the only 2009 releases to catch my ear and interest are the new God Forbid (best thing they've ever done), and what I've heard of that new MDB.