NIGHTWISH 2007 USA TOUR

Moving forward to 2008. Has there been any news on the Spring US tour dates? I remember seeing something that said there would be some more California dates & a special Canada show. If it's in Montreal or maybe even Toronto, I'll likely be there but I get the feeling it'll be the other side of Canada as they're already playing in Montreal & Toronto this time through.

And those going to Jaxx tonight, have fun. I'll probably be avoiding this thread after tonight since I don't want to know the setlist.

Heh. The legendarily shitty opening bands are Harpos are such a joke....except when it's actually there in front of you and you just can't understand what you did to deserve this torture. Are they on a mission to find the worst "bands" ever?! Do people in other cities have to put up with similar crap?!

Yup. I will never get suckered for their warm up bands again. Combined with a later arrival, and more fruitful entertainment options, I know how to do it now. We are going to say at the Hampton Inn just under a mile up the road too.

Just found out from my friend that his landlord said no so we can't stay at his place (he's out of town this weekend). Which means we can't go to AF w/o driving more than I would like to after the show or getting a hotel room which is the last expense we need. So I guess I'll just be going to NW and I'll say hi if I see you there. I'll have some Century Media swag with me but there may be a few of those people. I was even getting on the guestlist for AF :( Damn. Maybe I can somehow get an early birthday/christmas present from my parents. I really wanted to see them again as it's unlikely they'll be back for awhile.

NM previous comments. Ended up getting a hotel through priceline in Mass at a reasonable price. I'm on the guestlist and should be receiving swag from Century Media for both The Agonist (opening for AF) & Paradise Lost to hand out at their respective shows.

Heh. The legendarily shitty opening bands are Harpos are such a joke....except when it's actually there in front of you and you just can't understand what you did to deserve this torture. Are they on a mission to find the worst "bands" ever?! Do people in other cities have to put up with similar crap?!
Yea, read up to the show in NH.
Wow, painful.

Cindy & I are going to be at the Atlanta gig. In fact, we are taking the band out for a drink afterwards.

And you're going to ask them to headline Prog Power IX, right? Because, considering, by THE Michael's highly important opinion on the entire Prog Power forum, Dark Passion Play is certainly the best album of 2007 and has propelled Nightwish to status of best possible band you could book for this festival.

Tuomas owns my soul :worship:

The Michael

And you're going to ask them to headline Prog Power IX, right? Because, considering, by THE Michael's highly important opinion on the entire Prog Power forum, Dark Passion Play is certainly the best album of 2007 and has propelled Nightwish to status of best possible band you could book for this festival.

Tuomas owns my soul :worship:

The Michael

I dont think he wants Nightwish to headline tbh

Just got back from the Jaxx show. Both Paradise Lost and of course, Nightwish was just friggan AWESOME!! I thought Annette handled the older material very well. What is even cool was that after the show, they setup some stools and the band came out to sit down while they let people line up and file by for a meet-n-greet. Thankfully, I was near the very beginning of the line, so I got to go through and spend a little bit of time to chat with them as well as get some pretty cool pics. They seemed to be some really cool folks and they seemed to be excited to finally get to play there at Jaxx to a very enthusiastic audience. Afterwards, I got to shoot the shit for a bit with several members of Paradise Lost. Those guys are so cool, and I am looking forward to seeing them again in November! Paradise Lost was the real surprise for me, as I've never really heard any of their material, let alone, see them live. Pretty cool mix of power metal and doom metal type of sound. I was impressed and even bought their In Requiem album. I'll have to go and chase down some of their older material (There is a band suggestion for a future ProgPower!). The only gripe I had about this show was that it took friggan fooooreeeeveeer after Paradise Lost finished and before Nightwish started. They must've dicked around up there for nearly hour and half before Nightwish finally started their set! I was actually hoping this was going to be a somewhat early night, but not after that long ass delay. Still, it was a good show with two great bands, plus finally, after all these years, to get to personally meet the members of Nightwish.

Still, it was a good show with two great bands, plus finally, after all these years, to get to personally meet the members of Nightwish.

Damn! That kinda makes me wish that we would have stuck around to meet the band. I didn't think they would be coming back out so soon after the show.

I thoroughly enjoyed Nightwish's set and I'm happy to say that for the first time ever I was able to actaully understand the lyrics to the Nightwish songs sung by a female vocalist. (I know I'll probably catch some hell from fanboys/fangirls for saying that, but oh well.) I know not everyone loves Annette, but I thought she was awesome front-woman who interacted with the rest of the band very well, looked like she was really enjoying being up there and sang beautifully. There were times that I thought she could have used a little more power behind her voice, but overall I think she sounded great! :headbang: The whole band seemed genuinely happy to be performing for an American audience. I won't give away the set list, but they played a good mixture of the new album and a lot of previous hits. Plus, it didn't hurt that last night was one of the few times I've been at Jaxx and felt that the sound mix was excellent.

My only two gripes (and they are minor ones) have to do with the merchandise:
1. No DPP CDs for sale. - I really wanted to purchase the new CD direct from the band, but I guess I'll get it at my local music store. Not a big deal.
2. $50 for a girlie hoodie! :zombie: o_O - I that's the standard price for men's hoodies, but this one was smaller (girl's size) and thinner. I guess I was hoping the standard had changed when I bough that really nice Pagan's mind hoodie at PP this year for only $35. (What a great buy!)
On the bright side, it was nice that they even had a hoodie specific for the ladies. Plus, the guy who was running the merch table was super nice and polite (wouldn't even take a tip when I offered).

We actually got to Jaxx late and missed all of Paradise Lost's set and almost missed Nightwish because I was in such a rush getting out the door :loco: that we drove all the way to Jaxx before I realized I left my ticket at our house. :cry: I went inside (9 PM) to check with the door guy about what time Nightwish was going on before we drove back to Baltimore and completely missed the show. When he told me 9:30 (which actually ended up being more like 10/10:30), I explained to him the situation and he was so kind to help me work out something with a guy who had just shown up and had a extra ticket because one friend bailed on him. I would have been willing to buy another ticket if I had to, but the door guy made it out to be a gift. I realize now that I thanked the door guy, but neglected to find out who the guy with the spare ticket was so I could thank him. If by some chance you know who this guy was or you are him, please let me know, because I certainly owe him at least a drink or two. :kickass: If it wasn't for him, I (and my boyfriend) would have missed the majority of an awesome show!

1. No DPP CDs for sale. - I really wanted to purchase the new CD direct from the band, but I guess I'll get it at my local music store. Not a big deal.
2. $50 for a girlie hoodie! :zombie: o_O - I that's the standard price for men's hoodies, but this one was smaller (girl's size) and thinner. I guess I was hoping the standard had changed when I bough that really nice Pagan's mind hoodie at PP this year for only $35. (What a great buy!)
On the bright side, it was nice that they even had a hoodie specific for the ladies. Plus, the guy who was running the merch table was super nice and polite (wouldn't even take a tip when I offered).

That is the going rate for hoodies at shows usually. Remember, the venue adds more to the price so they can make money too. I try not to buy at shows, but from the bands' shops.

That is the going rate for hoodies at shows usually. Remember, the venue adds more to the price so they can make money too. I try not to buy at shows, but from the bands' shops.

I knew it was the going rate for standard sweatshirts, but I had hoped since this one was smaller and made of thinner material it would be a little cheaper. I also forgot about the venue fees. :erk: That makes a little more sense now. I would buy more online if the shipping wasn't typically so high from overseas bands, but I have gotten into the habit of checking bands online stores more often since they usually have a good deal more merch there than they ever bring on tour.

Damn! That kinda makes me wish that we would have stuck around to meet the band. I didn't think they would be coming back out so soon after the show.

That's to bad, because they really were very humble and personalble. Annette truly is a sweetheart and she obviously enjoys being with Nightwish. As difficult as a decision Marco had to make in letting Tarja go, but from what I can gather, it seems it may be the right decision in the long run. The band certainly does not seem to suffer in my opinion, plus the new album truly is a work of art to behold! Now, this is a money shot (and if you only knew how many years I've waited for that opportunity!)! :headbang:

IMG_2125Medium.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed Nightwish's set and I'm happy to say that for the first time ever I was able to actaully understand the lyrics to the Nightwish songs sung by a female vocalist. (I know I'll probably catch some hell from fanboys/fangirls for saying that, but oh well.) I know not everyone loves Annette, but I thought she was awesome front-woman who interacted with the rest of the band very well, looked like she was really enjoying being up there and sang beautifully. There were times that I thought she could have used a little more power behind her voice, but overall I think she sounded great! :headbang: The whole band seemed genuinely happy to be performing for an American audience. I won't give away the set list, but they played a good mixture of the new album and a lot of previous hits. Plus, it didn't hurt that last night was one of the few times I've been at Jaxx and felt that the sound mix was excellent.

I can certainly agree with everything you said above. After last night, I am now really a bit fan of Annette. Not only did she sound good, but she really was a great gal. Of course, never having seen the "Tarja" era Nightwish live and how she treated fans, I have no direct comparison, but from my experience, I think Annette really does add to the band.

Good thing I decided to buy the new album at ProgPower. I thought about waiting until I got to Nightwish show itself, but I just couldn't wait and really wanted to hear it. I wonder if they did have it there but sold out of them. As for the t-shirt prices, I was a bit taken aback by the $30 they wanted for just a t-shirt.

We actually got to Jaxx late and missed all of Paradise Lost's set and almost missed Nightwish because I was in such a rush getting out the door :loco: that we drove all the way to Jaxx before I realized I left my ticket at our house. :cry: I went inside (9 PM) to check with the door guy about what time Nightwish was going on before we drove back to Baltimore and completely missed the show. When he told me 9:30 (which actually ended up being more like 10/10:30), I explained to him the situation and he was so kind to help me work out something with a guy who had just shown up and had a extra ticket because one friend bailed on him. I would have been willing to buy another ticket if I had to, but the door guy made it out to be a gift. I realize now that I thanked the door guy, but neglected to find out who the guy with the spare ticket was so I could thank him. If by some chance you know who this guy was or you are him, please let me know, because I certainly owe him at least a drink or two. :kickass: If it wasn't for him, I (and my boyfriend) would have missed the majority of an awesome show!

That sucks, but cool it worked out in the end! Usually, in this order, I check that I have 1) Tickets, 2) Earplugs, and 3) Camera before heading out to a show. Paradise Lost did put a great show, and in fact, I was impressed enough with it that I bought a copy of their latest as well as bought a ticket to see them on the 18th of November. I guess if you really want to seen them, there is your chance.

Managed to snap a few pictures of the show (although that heavy fog they generated up there makes it difficult to get good, clear shots):

IMG_2124Medium.jpg

IMG_2123Medium.jpg

A couple of Paradise Lost:

IMG_2090Medium.jpg

IMG_2082Medium.jpg

Can you please post more details about the show, what songs from the older albums did they play? I will go in Detroit next week, I can hardly wait to see them. Awesome pictures :worship: You was so lucky...my respect....

As difficult as a decision Marco had to make in letting Tarja go, but from what I can gather, it seems it may be the right decision in the long run.
Agreed. Making that kind of significant change in a band is generally never an easy decision to make.
Good thing I decided to buy the new album at ProgPower. I thought about waiting until I got to Nightwish show itself, but I just couldn't wait and really wanted to hear it. I wonder if they did have it there but sold out of them. As for the t-shirt prices, I was a bit taken aback by the $30 they wanted for just a t-shirt.
They did not have the album there. I asked. :erk: As for the t-shirt prices, I generally expect those to be somewhere in the $20-30 range whenever I go to shows. The more popular a band is the more I expect their prices to be. Nightwish sold out, so I had a premonition that their t-shirt prices would run on the higher end.
Usually, in this order, I check that I have 1) Tickets, 2) Earplugs, and 3) Camera before heading out to a show.
I need to make me a check list like that by our door. :lol: Actually, I was pretty mad at myself for forgetting the ticket, particularly because I have not done that in awhile ... Then again, Nick usually asks me if I've got mine before we walk out the door. :rolleyes: :oops:
Can you please post more details about the show, what songs from the older albums did they play? I will go in Detroit next week, I can hardly wait to see them. Awesome pictures :worship: You was so lucky...my respect....
Well, I hesitated at first 'cause I didn't want to spoil the show for anyone, but since I don't really remember the song order completly and most folks who don't want the show spoiled probably won't check here, I'll attempt:

Bye Bye Beautiful (I know this was the opener.)
Dark Chest of Wonders (3rd or 4th song)
Eva
Nemo (I believe they closed their set with this.)
Wishmaster (Think this was part of the encore.)
Wish I Had an Angel (Closed the encore/show)

They played a good amount from the new album, but I am not yet familiar enough with it that I know the titles of all the songs.

I think they also played Tenth Man Down, but I might be mistaken about that since I don't know there entire catalog by heart.

Like I said in a earlier post, previously it has been difficult for me to understand the words to most of Nightwish's songs, thus I know alot of the melodies, but not alot of the lyrics or titles. Sorry, hope this list helps a little. I'll try to post some pictures later. Enjoy the show! :headbang: