SYMPHONY X - 5/01/08 ATL

The worst sound at the Masq is apparently near the stage. I find it best about central between the stage and the soundguy. If you get too far back the ceiling tends to disrupt the sound.

But sometimes the sound might just be bad.... the acoustics of the room can't be easy, so sound guy for a band who might be in thep lace for the first time is probably going to struggle.
I watched the Symphony X set from the back of the room and thought it sounded decent.

I was really impressed with Epica and their substitute singer. She's really good.

Symphony X was good, but the setlist could have been a bit better in my opinion. The sound was pretty good from where I stood, in the middle of the room, in front of the tables.

Into Eternity was alright. I liked some of the previous shows better. Their singer really needs to cut down on the between-song banter. I don't remember him being that cheesy.

And oh yeah, the lighting guy can eat a dick. Should have brought my sunglasses.

Agreed. All the people bitching about the lights at PP a few years ago should be thankful they didn't see these. By far the brightest lights I have ever seen at a show.

Their setlist was pretty weak, but Russel was a lot more interactive with the crowd this time than the last time they were here. Decent show overall, although Epica was missing their cover of "Crystal Mountain."

I was at the barrier right in front of Russell - and next to an awesome guy in a wheelchair and this kid who pretty much got everything Symphony X owned :lol:

Bwhahahahah. That was my little brother and me right behind him!

Into Eternity were amazing. I'd love to see them on there own tour and play for a lot longer! Splintered Visions, Surrounded by Night, Timeless Winter were the highlights of there set for me.

Epica sounded great too. But there set (or just there music) lacked a lot of power. It was a lot harder to get into them right next to Into Eternity.

Symphony X were so damn awesome! The whole band was spot on. The set was badass. I don't know what more I could ask for! Russell was so extremely nice to me and my brother! Best concert I've been to yet!

Into Eternity was pretty good. WAY too much between song banter from the lead singer though.
Epica was ok. Nothing personal, but the substitute lead singer did nothing for me. I felt the band was a letdown after how I saw them perform at PP.
SX was great. I wished for a more varied set list but still the band kicked ass.

next to an awesome guy in a wheelchair and this kid who pretty much got everything Symphony X owned

I should have moved over by you. I was next to some dick who didn't seem to know any of the songs, flipped off the band a couple of times, yelled "play some of your own songs", and every once in a while do a little mosh pit move and try to bump into the people around him. What a cock. I don't understand people like that.

We drove down from Columbia, SC for it and had a blast at the show. Into Eternity was great, performed their stuff better live than I expected, even with the technical difficulties. Stu had the good stage presence to keep people from getting bored while they were fixing everything. Loved getting Surrounded by Night (which apparently was their first time bringing it on stage, so that was cool). Epica performed really well despite lacking Simone. They played pretty tight, and Amanda really pulled everything off beautifully (though I don't know if she is as much a stage performer as she is a vocalist, some of her dancing around seemed pretty forced). My friend's girlfriend passed out on the rail during Consign to Oblivion, so we ended up carrying her outside for the last song, and hung out on the wall for Symphony X.

Symphony X's performance really impressed me. For being the "oldest" band in terms of band member age, I found them to easily be the most high energy. They played extremely tight, and Russell's voice killed. I would've loved to hear "Sacrifice", but since they played almost every other song off the new album, I guess that's asking a little much :p.

All in all a great show.

Epica sounded great too. But there set (or just there music) lacked a lot of power. It was a lot harder to get into them right next to Into Eternity.

The power in the performance was there, but not in the sound :erk: IE's guitars were very present on stage (i.e. not through the house speakers), but I had a hard time feeling the riffs early in Epica's set. It wasn't until they were playing familiar songs (that I heard at ProgPower) that my brain was able to fill in the blanks - leading to further whiplash damage :loco: I think those Rectifiers just weren't turned up enough, relying on the mics instead. Probably it sounded great to people mid-crowd and back, but not for us at the stage. Same for Romeo - let the tubes in that Engl burn, man!

That's awesome that was you and your brother next to me. Your bro was one HAPPY kid :cool:

I should have moved over by you. I was next to some dick who didn't seem to know any of the songs, flipped off the band a couple of times, yelled "play some of your own songs", and every once in a while do a little mosh pit move and try to bump into the people around him. What a cock. I don't understand people like that.

He was probably saying "play some of your old songs" but that's still major douchebaggery.

I won't be attending the show itself but everyone can look for me this evening outside the venue acting like a beggar child passing out flyers for the Metal Festivus on June 14th.

:p

*cheap plug*

I talked to you for like 5 seconds haha.....i was like yeah i go to the Progpower forums and you were like cool but i gotta hand out more flyers and walked away

haha :)

Into Eternity had us by the balls for their entire set. That was hands down my favorite set of the evening, and I'm probably going to buy one of their albums. I was slinging hair for Epica, too. But .... did anyone notice that Michael Romeo's guitar was not very audible?? I was at the barrier right in front of Russell - and next to an awesome guy in a wheelchair and this kid who pretty much got everything Symphony X owned :lol: - so maybe that's why I couldn't hear him as well; but to be the only guitar player, his amp should've been cranking a little more than it was so that people up front could hear his stage sound. As soon as the stage-hand chugged the E-string, I knew it was gonna be hard to discern him through the stage mix. *shrug* Oh well, at least Russell was dead-on and the bassist was cool :D

Get "The Scattering Of Ashes" right now. 11/10. Seriously.

Here's my review:

Ok so I went to Symphony X/Epica/Into Eternity last night.

I asked my dad to go with me since Symphony X doesn't scream (he hates harsh vocals) and I figured he'd like em, plus I just wanted to show him what a metal show is like. We both love music, but he likes the total opposite of what I do.

Anways, got there around 7 and got in. I got a SX shirt and went to the stage. It took forever for the show to start. Saw my friend from church and was talking to him for awhile, then FINALLY Into Eternity comes on at 8. Don't know why it took them so long.

Into Eternity:

Started off with a new song, then went into Severe Emotional Distress. A lot of people say they are hit and miss live but tonight they were pretty good. I could hear most of the solos and his voice was really good for the most part. The only thing that was kinda weird is when he tried to sing the old songs. It sounded good, but off a little. But hearing Splintered Visions was awesome live. He nailed the solo in the beginning. They didn't play Spiraling into Depression for some reason, kinda disappointing, but they ended with Timeless Winter and it was awesome. The crowd wasn't that into em but enough for them opening I guess.

7/10

Epica:

Ok I will admit I'm not the biggest Epica and they bore me. But last night they surprised me. They are WAY better live IMO. The stand - in vocalist was great and sounded just like Simone. She looks ok too, but not as hot by any means lol. Anyways, they were great. The guitarist/death and black growls could make his own band. He has an awesome black metal scream. They weren't very energetic, but I would definitely get a live album now. My dad said he liked them the best and was very impressed.

7/10

Symphony X:

Ok this is who I came to see so I was very excited. They came out to the intro to Paradise Lost, and went straight into Set the World On Fire, which was awesome live. Everyone was singing along on that one. They played Domination and a few more from the new album, then played Masquerade...at the Masquerade (venue name) haha. That song was way better live than on album. Paradise Lost was very cool live but the PA went out during it there was a buzzing so they stopped and started playing again. They played a few more songs, which were great. Russel's voice was great live, but my only complaint was the bass was too loud. Usually the bass isn't loud enough, but it wasn't the case this time. The good thing was for the most part, you could still hear the keyboards and solos. They also played most of them flawlessly. IMO the highlights were Inferno and Eve of Seduction. They were just amazing live, plus I really like those songs. I got to shake either the keyboardist's or drummer's hand (not sure) and some girl that was going crazy singing every song got her mask signed.

9/10

Overall, great show. Glad my dad went. Maybe now he can appreciate that I like stuff other than "that screaming crap" haha. If you missed this, you missed out. Symphony X was amazing and I hope they come back soon.

To poster above, the doors opened at 7. I'm pretty sure the Masq usually allows one hour for the doors to open before the show starts - so IE was right on time.

That's why I came at 8 o'clock :)

I was really impressed with Epica and their substitute singer. She's really good.

Symphony X was good, but the setlist could have been a bit better in my opinion. The sound was pretty good from where I stood, in the middle of the room, in front of the tables.

Into Eternity was alright. I liked some of the previous shows better. Their singer really needs to cut down on the between-song banter. I don't remember him being that cheesy.
I liked IE better this time than the first time I saw them. They played 3 songs I really wanted to hear, and the new stuff was cool, too. Epica was off the charts! Amanda should look into doing something similar to what Tarja is doing. SX was decent, but I was really tired at that point, so I was really just ready to go home but stayed until the end anyway. "Something, something, something ENCORE!":lol::headbang:

To poster above, the doors opened at 7. I'm pretty sure the Masq usually allows one hour for the doors to open before the show starts - so IE was right on time.

That's why I came at 8 o'clock :)

When I go usually, the show starts around like 7:15 or 7:30

It was very unusual this time....do you go to the Masq a lot?

It was an awesome night of music, for sure. I was looking for you, GameFreac! What color shirt was your pops wearing?

Sorry should of posted a pic first....my dad was wearing a black shirt (plain) and a braves hat

I was wearing my Enslaved Ruun World Tour shirt...probably was 5 rows from the front to the right of the stage where the bass player was