SYMPHONY X - 5/01/08 ATL

7thSaviour

Power Metal Maniac
Jul 8, 2005
Dixieland USA
Who's gonna be at the Masquerade tonight to catch this gig? I'll be there! See y'all soon! Can't wait to see and hear all 3 bands!:worship:rock::kickass:

Nobody here knows me, but I will be there. Crew-cut & Manowar t-thirt.

How is parking around the masq? Never been before.
Should be fine. Someone last week drove up to me and asked where the lot was. So in case you can't find it, it's in a fenced-in area next to the venue with a street in between. The entrance has a little white station-building thing next to it.

Should be fine. Someone last week drove up to me and asked where the lot was. So in case you can't find it, it's in a fenced-in area next to the venue with a street in between. The entrance has a little white station-building thing next to it.

Cool. Thanks. Time for a nap (what? I'm old!) and just a few more hours.

I won't be attending the show itself but everyone can look for me this evening outside the venue acting like a beggar child passing out flyers for the Metal Festivus on June 14th.

:p

*cheap plug*

Into Eternity had us by the balls for their entire set. That was hands down my favorite set of the evening, and I'm probably going to buy one of their albums. I was slinging hair for Epica, too. But .... did anyone notice that Michael Romeo's guitar was not very audible?? I was at the barrier right in front of Russell - and next to an awesome guy in a wheelchair and this kid who pretty much got everything Symphony X owned :lol: - so maybe that's why I couldn't hear him as well; but to be the only guitar player, his amp should've been cranking a little more than it was so that people up front could hear his stage sound. As soon as the stage-hand chugged the E-string, I knew it was gonna be hard to discern him through the stage mix. *shrug* Oh well, at least Russell was dead-on and the bassist was cool :D

I was about 15' back on the right side of the stage. Sound was pretty good where I was standing, although there seemed to be a couple of audio technical pops or buzzes about 3 songs in. Allen's vocals seemed to get lost in some of the passages where he sings in a lower register. All in all, Symphony X was outstanding. Russel is one of the best frontmen out there. Funny, genuinely excited to be doing what he does and most of all, an exceptional vocalist. I particularly enjoyed his pirate impression.

IE didn't do much for me and I have Scattering of Ashes, so I was familiar with some of their set. Epica is good at what they do, just not my cup o' tea.

The worst sound at the Masq is apparently near the stage. I find it best about central between the stage and the soundguy. If you get too far back the ceiling tends to disrupt the sound.

But sometimes the sound might just be bad.... the acoustics of the room can't be easy, so sound guy for a band who might be in thep lace for the first time is probably going to struggle.

You guys are in for a treat if Sym X is anything like they were last night in St Pete, Fl. They were absolutely on fire. Russell Allen kicked serious ass, and the band was tighter than hell. Fantastic show!
They kicked butt! I think they've actually gotten better since I saw them a few years ago, and the new songs killed! Also, they played "Masquerade"!:lol::headbang::kickass:

I won't be attending the show itself but everyone can look for me this evening outside the venue acting like a beggar child passing out flyers for the Metal Festivus on June 14th.

:p

*cheap plug*
:lol: It was great seeing you out front, Hoyt!:headbang: Thanks again! That flyer under my car's wiper blades rode all the way back home with me!:lol:

Into Eternity had us by the balls for their entire set. That was hands down my favorite set of the evening, and I'm probably going to buy one of their albums. I was slinging hair for Epica, too. But .... did anyone notice that Michael Romeo's guitar was not very audible?? I was at the barrier right in front of Russell - and next to an awesome guy in a wheelchair and this kid who pretty much got everything Symphony X owned :lol: - so maybe that's why I couldn't hear him as well; but to be the only guitar player, his amp should've been cranking a little more than it was so that people up front could hear his stage sound. As soon as the stage-hand chugged the E-string, I knew it was gonna be hard to discern him through the stage mix. *shrug* Oh well, at least Russell was dead-on and the bassist was cool :D
No joke about IE! 11/10! They ended with my favorite IE tune: TIMELESS WINTER!:worship:rock::kickass:
Epica were spot-on as well! 10.5/10 Amanda was awesome on stage! She deserves her shoft in the limelight after serving so ably and faithfully on the sidelines all these years!:headbang::kickass:
SX had a great set, as well. 9.5/10 Romeo was on fire!
"Something, something, something DARKSIDE...Something, something, something COMPLETE!":lol:

I was about 15' back on the right side of the stage. Sound was pretty good where I was standing, although there seemed to be a couple of audio technical pops or buzzes about 3 songs in. Allen's vocals seemed to get lost in some of the passages where he sings in a lower register. All in all, Symphony X was outstanding. Russel is one of the best frontmen out there. Funny, genuinely excited to be doing what he does and most of all, an exceptional vocalist. I particularly enjoyed his pirate impression.

IE didn't do much for me and I have Scattering of Ashes, so I was familiar with some of their set. Epica is good at what they do, just not my cup o' tea.
I could have heard Epica and IE play 2 hours each and it would've been a killer show, even without Symphony X. There appeared to be at least 600 souls on hand for the show. Not too shabby for a weeknight.