10 essential death metal albums I MUST own!

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Right, I'm trying to get into more death metal bands (of any type really, although not ones that a what I would call frenzied noise without much to enjoy).

Some I currently like from what I've heard: Cryptopy, Nile, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames...etc.

I'm perhaps more into the melodic stuff atm, but I'm quite open minded, although like I've said I doubt I'd really be able to get into anything REALLY brutal, but the bands I mentioned above I really like.

Basically, it would be great if you could list 10 death metal albums that you think are essential for the death metal fan to own - ie. if they could only own 10 DM albums - which would they be?

Thanks for broadening the scope of a fellow metalhead!

:D

check out some of these...

immolation- unholy cult
psypheria- embrace the mutation
extol- undecieved
cephalic carnage- lucid interval
hate eternal- conquering the throne
mortal decay- forensic
vader- litany
death- human
decapitated- nihility
exhumed- anatomy is destiny
anata- dreams of death and dismay
severed savior- brutality is law

that should give ya a good start haha. enjoy
~gR~

Just a word of warning, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility and In Flames aren't DM.

I'll list some of my recent favs:

Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus (Here and Beyond)
Hate - Awakening of The Liar
Severed Savior - Brutality Is Law
Esqarial - Inheritance
Anata - Under A Stone With No Inscription
Dissenter - Contamination
Necronomicon - Pharaoh of Gods
Vader - Revelations

At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Darkane - Rusted Angel, Expanding Senses
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait
Death - Human, Leprosy
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Aeternus - ...And So The Night Became, Ascension Of Terror
Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Decapitated - Winds Of Creation or Nihility

From melodic-death to brutal death.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Death - Human
Death - Symbolic
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of The Mutilated
At The Gates - Slaughter of The Soul
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Carcass - Heartwork
Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Still Life

cryptopsy - none so vile
immolation - close to a world below / unholy cult
martyr - warp zone
behemoth - satanica
atheist - elements
spawn of possession - cabinet
necrophagist - onset of putrefaction
cynic - focus
death - individual thought patterns
theory in practice - the armageddon theories

those should do you well...

Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Dying Fetus - take a pick

And now I am gonna list 7 more that were all triggered by Suffocation in one way or another, really brutal stuff but for me and in certain circles they are as essential as is In Flames for some other death (?) metalists. ;-) Here goes:

Prophecy - Foretold, Foreseen
Brodequin - Instruments of Torture
Brodequin - Festival of Death
Devourment - 1.3.8 (which is actually "Molesting the Decapitated" + some added stuff)
Disgorge - Consume the Forsaken
Deeds of Flesh - anything

Hmm can't decide about the 10th one, so I will list a few:
Malignancy, Foetopsy, Stabwound, Retch, Lividity, Cinerary, Sect of Execration, Synthetically Revived, Enmity, Saprogenic, Lust of Decay, Putrid Pile, Spawn of Possesion, Vile, Pyaemia, Disavowed, etc.

Ageless said:
Just a word of warning, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility and In Flames aren't DM

Well aren't we the clever one!

:rolleyes:

If you'd read my message, you would know that I said I was in to the melodic stuff as well, however un-tr00 it may seem to you.

High On Maiden said:
Well aren't we the clever one!

:rolleyes:

If you'd read my message, you would know that I said I was in to the melodic stuff as well, however un-tr00 it may seem to you.
Well Dark Tranquillity isn't DM by any standards, just listen to their Iron Maiden inspired heavy-metal riffs. :)

10 death metal albums that you MUST own eh? hmm....

Sceptic - Pathetic Being
Avulsed - Yearning The Grotesque
Arcane Sun - s/t
Vehemence - God Was Created
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
At The Gates - Slaughter of The Soul
Death - Individual Thought Patterns/Human/Sound of Perseverance
Anata - Dreams of Death & Dismay
Decapitated - Nihility/The First Damned
Iniquity - Iniquity Bloody Iniquity
Neuraxis - Truth Beyond
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenfris
Obscuris Romancia - s/t
The Crown - Deathrace King
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Immolation - Unholy Cult/Close To a World Below

....umm, okay. I went a little overboard. But that's okay. :) :kickass:

btw, thanks for all the recommendations so far. I've only recently started experimenting with the more brutal music, but it is growing on me fast!

I just listened to a few mP3s from Suffocation - :D

Great band!

The reason I want these core of 10 albums is because being a student I am on a limited budget and so I want to use my money in the best way possible!

Death - Sound of Perseverance.... is a must have! Absolutely perfect, you'll love it..... just read the review and comments of the album in the Review forum.... they speak for themselves...

Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation ..... probably my favorite DM album.... many people think its their worst.... dont listen!!! awesome riffs, great atmosphere and production, and the lead playing is absolutely orgasmic.... both extremely chaotic and melodic at the same time.... "God of the Forsaken" probably has my favorite guitar solo of all time....

High On Maiden said:
btw, thanks for all the recommendations so far. I've only recently started experimenting with the more brutal music, but it is growing on me fast!

I just listened to a few mP3s from Suffocation - :D

Great band!

The reason I want these core of 10 albums is because being a student I am on a limited budget and so I want to use my money in the best way possible!
That's AWESOME man!!! COngrats and welcome to the dark side. ;) The music and vocal delivery is an acquired taste for most....kinda like beer. You dont know what to think at first but it slowly grows on you and you love it. Most people just have a hard time getting over the vocals...but the music is ingenious for the most part....highly complex passages, and unbelievable musicianship. Imho, only jazz has more proficient musicians in the scene.

BloodStainedWalls said:
That's AWESOME man!!! COngrats and welcome to the dark side. ;) The music and vocal delivery is an acquired taste for most....kinda like beer. You dont know what to think at first but it slowly grows on you and you love it. Most people just have a hard time getting over the vocals...but the music is ingenious for the most part....highly complex passages, and unbelievable musicianship. Imho, only jazz has more proficient musicians in the scene.

Thanks, that's very encouraging! As I've said, my tastes are still developing, and I agree that the vocal styles (not just in DM) are an aquired taste to many newcomers. I really feel that the music wouldn't be the same without it though, and like you said, the musicianship is just fantastic to listen to!

Here's to my continuing journey in metal! :kickass: