11 year old kid plays Inferno

You guys are underestimating the power of practice/training and the capabilities of 11 year olds. Yeah, the kid plays cool stuff, and fast. He must have worked very hard for it. Kudos for that, and keep on the good work. But it is not as big a deal as some people make of it. I think many people around here don't realize how malleable are kids, specially when they are very young. I invite people here to read and understand how the brain works, and you'll see how non impressive this is.
I've seen 10-12 year olds pull all sorts of amazing tricks. Is that because they have a special talent? Most of the time, no. They just have started doing whatever they do at an early age, and thus "kick ass"[1] at it. 11 year olds are nothing different from 20 year olds, save the fact that the former are much, much better at learning than the latter. If you ask me, I'd find it much more impressive if a 30 year old grabbed a guitar, with no previous musical experience[2], and managed to play Inferno the way that kid does.
Please stop underestimating young kids. They are much better than us at many things, including learning how to play an instrument, and emorizing digits of Pi. If they do something great, then encourage them to keep on the good work, and congratulate them. Don't be amazed or impressed because it is not amazing or impressing[3].

[1] Read: do stuff we wouldn't be impressed if it was an adult who did that, but are impressed due to the age of the kid.
[2] That is, hasn't played an instrument before.
[3] Of course, act amazed and impressed in front of the kid to encourage him.

Reactions: Tubbs
the fact i say its amazing because he is a kid is not underestimating him because he's a kid! its just a well known fact the youngers now days for one don't listen to metal, and they also have a million and on others things they'd rather do than play guitar! So when i say amazing its cool since its rare we see a kid interested in music like that, especially interested in symphony x ;) \m/

Why is compositional skill more appreciated? Being able to write well is a skill that takes a lot of practise to master, just like playing an instrument well. There's no difference here... both should be respected. Also, somebody who is playing fast material is always dubbed as the player who doesn't "feel it". Some people "feel" things differently than others... you know... personal tastes.

i suggest that it can be likened to throwing paint on a canvas. if you know what you're doing it will be great art, whether you do it quickly or slowly. if you don't, it'll look like nothing at all. doing so at great speed increases the probability of the latter outcome. it does not encompass all situations.

You guys are underestimating the power of practice/training and the capabilities of 11 year olds. Yeah, the kid plays cool stuff, and fast. He must have worked very hard for it. Kudos for that, and keep on the good work. But it is not as big a deal as some people make of it. I think many people around here don't realize how malleable are kids, specially when they are very young. I invite people here to read and understand how the brain works, and you'll see how non impressive this is.
I've seen 10-12 year olds pull all sorts of amazing tricks. Is that because they have a special talent? Most of the time, no. They just have started doing whatever they do at an early age, and thus "kick ass"[1] at it. 11 year olds are nothing different from 20 year olds, save the fact that the former are much, much better at learning than the latter. If you ask me, I'd find it much more impressive if a 30 year old grabbed a guitar, with no previous musical experience[2], and managed to play Inferno the way that kid does.
Please stop underestimating young kids. They are much better than us at many things, including learning how to play an instrument, and emorizing digits of Pi. If they do something great, then encourage them to keep on the good work, and congratulate them. Don't be amazed or impressed because it is not amazing or impressing[3].

[1] Read: do stuff we wouldn't be impressed if it was an adult who did that, but are impressed due to the age of the kid.
[2] That is, hasn't played an instrument before.
[3] Of course, act amazed and impressed in front of the kid to encourage him.

I disagree. Theres a reason why 11 year olds cant get drivers licenses, drink alchohol and so on.

Theres a major difference in MATURITY level. Maybe your Country is different, but not here in the States.

i suggest that it can be likened to throwing paint on a canvas. if you know what you're doing it will be great art, whether you do it quickly or slowly. if you don't, it'll look like nothing at all. doing so at great speed increases the probability of the latter outcome. it does not encompass all situations.
Kenneth, what you forget to mention though is what happens when you do something too slow. If you do something too slowly, it just gets boring to listen to. Personally, I vaue speed, but it still means nothing if they can't compose a solo. It's like a division problem for me. (Stupid people can zone out here)

X = Speed/Skill

If Skill is anything greater than O, than the problem will work. But still though, if Skill is 1, then that would mean that X is bigger, so we'll consider X to be how high my self esteem is after listening to said solo. :p

Whenever i listen to Michael Angelo Batio, I think to myself "God, he really can play fast. But if only he can fucking write!!" But then I go and give Speed Metal Symphony a spin, and I piss my pants every time I listen to Concerto.

Well I for one was pretty impressed by the video. The kid has a really good command of the instrument from a technical standpoint, and that's all you can really expect from an 11 year old. I don't buy the whole "He's just playing someone else's music" argument, because that's all that a major symphony does, and to say they are not talented musicians is ridiculous. So I suggest we all just admire the kid's effort and interest in the genre and move on.

i totally agree with ElPredicador..
indeed, most of the pianists, guitarists, and all of those REALLY good musicians, started to play at 4, 5 years old. like Jordan Rudess, Rick Wakeman, Arcadi Volodos and most of the guys we use to hear and stuff
kids can learn faster and better then old people, you can notice it watching a 2-3 years old child learning to speak, play soccer or any other game..

what impresses me is a child at 11 to hear and like SympX. =P

I disagree. Theres a reason why 11 year olds cant get drivers licenses, drink alchohol and so on.

Theres a major difference in MATURITY level. Maybe your Country is different, but not here in the States.
That is a different matter. A 11 year old kid can "technically" drive a car better than any of us (given a car of the right size). The problem lies not in the difficulty of moving the car, but rather in the difficulty of working in an environment responsibly (and that doesn't even work always on adults). Thus, the problem is about "understanding" what you are doing, not actually doing it. Train a kid to drive from a young age, and he will beat your ass in any race. However, he probably won't cope with driving in a city, because he hasn't have enough experience in other realms needed for doing that (assimilation of consequences, observation of other people's behavior in different scenarios, and others).

As for the alcohol... that responds more to a biological need: alcohol disrupts normal development of the body (brain included), thus it is not wanted to "undeveloped" people to drink it.

And finally, I fail to see on how any of this makes a kid playing a song more impressive.