2 OPETH Albums??? Your Thoughts...

...Trapped in a corner from the opeth board here...

I am a bit 'iffy' about this project. A totally heavy opeth album? And then a totally soft album? I think the whole beauty of Opeth's music is the fact that they can successfully integrate heavy with soft. A double cd from opeth is an awesome idea, but i am not too sure about the heavy and soft idea.

I have faith in opeth that they can pull it off, but still, i'm not sure if i could handle a totally heavy opeth, or a totally soft opeth...! I'm not entirely sure wether it would work, as the 'story' would not progress in emotion, it would be totally angry (...heavy) for an album, and then totally sad (...soft) for an album, and this would mean that there wouldn't be a variety of emotion throughout the album, only black and white...!

I think a double cd would set an awesome stage for the ultimate concept-album, it would be the most epic release in the world!

Yeah its a pretty good idea!!
i just dont like ugly riffs like the beginning of ..the funral portrait..
(my opinion)

the songs will be great if there is no ugly riffs
whatever if the songs are smooth or heavy

i will borrow the smooth cd to my mother and I ll be able to say that my mother listens OPETH :)

(sorry for my bad english by the way)

I think pulling off such a trick would make me more interested in the new Opeth album. It will be difficult, but it's possible--others on this board have already referenced Maudlin of the Well's "Bath" and "Leaving You Body Map", and that double-release was amazing and an artistic success. Let's see if Opeth can rise to the challenge!

i think everyones established that the fans here would purchase the album-

...some are worried about this whole totally heavy cd and totally soft cd prospect. all i know is im afraid that if there were a whole cds of songs like ''to bid you farwell', 'harvest', and 'benighted' that my heart would break! (hahanot from dissapointment, just from...the emotion in songs like these).

but i have no expectations! only the desire to see anything within opeth's artistic vision carried out!
i work in a cd store and ive directly sold over 20 opeth cds to people who've never heard them before, riding on the guarantee that if they thought it was horrible, they could bring it back and id personally buy it from them at my employee discount price for the album.
only two people came back, and that was to buy another opeth cd!

i have all faith in opeth. :)

Originally posted by Evisceratrix
i work in a cd store and ive directly sold over 20 opeth cds to people who've never heard them before, riding on the guarantee that if they thought it was horrible, they could bring it back and id personally buy it from them at my employee discount price for the album.
only two people came back, and that was to buy another opeth cd!

I like your style :loco:

Very nice Evis. And to Opeth, I will pre-order both CD's so I can have them the day they are released, i'm sure almost everyone on the Opeth board will do the same. Go for it, I know Opeth will get it right, they've always got it right in the past. My least favorite Opeth albums is one of my favorite albums I own. Tell them to do whatever they had in mind, I'll support their decision, I have yet to see them mess up in the past :D :loco: :)

I think it's funny that on the label's end there could be any question. CM/Music For Nations for chrissakes are huge. Dark Symphonies, a tiny-ass indie label released amazing the maudlin of the well Bath/Leaving Your Body Map set (which are 2 separate, brilliant albums that are tied together) with absolutely no question on the public success. If a tiny label and a tiny band can kick ass with a 2-cd release, so can MFN.

On another note to all of you who are saying, "if anyone can pull it off, Opeth can..."

Well, I disagree. Other bands have pulled it off and Opeth may come across as embarrassing if they think they are progressive for doing something like a simultaneous 2-cd release.

Anyway the point is MFN shouldn't doubt it because it has been done by smaller labels and smaller bands with enormous success.:err:

I fully support the double-album project - I believe in the band's artistic vision and this release can be an important turning point in their musical evolution. Thanks for coming out to the fans.

D Mullholand
------------------------
NP: Yes - Time and a Word