2012 Opinions

No, not directed at you at all. Was more refering to the OMG phrase mentality you brought up, and in general those that do choose ONE side entirely, rather than looking at all the odds, possibilities, what ever the case may be, what ever the subject. Part why Im seen taking a opposing view so often, just to get it out there, I do usually understand and accept some angles of my adversaries.

In the case of this topic, no one knows, we just dont know when the shit is going to hit the fan for human existance, the world as we know it or total devestation.

Im wondering if this Mayan interpretation fails to occur, what will the next target deadline be ? Though I wont subscribe to that either.

Well someone will always have dates. Eventually someone has to be right to some degree lol.

I don't think that the date (12/21/2012) specifically is noteworthy, but the two years surrounding that date. Too many other factors on the edge that I don't think won't blow by the end of 2013. It's the date + everything else going on that has me subscribing to a 2012ish timeframe for SHTF, individual date be damned.

Interesting article for the Vatican to release that, too bad it hadn't stumbled onto television perhaps convinced at least all of the catholic, ignorant Americans that perhaps we aren't the only ones in the whole universe.

12/21/12 is pretty damn specific for an occurrence to commence, you figure it would be more aimless and happen out of the blue.

It has to do with celestial patterns, the date itself is not important (as in , stuff isn't happening because your calender says Dec 12, 2012). Since the universe moves in series of cycles, this is just the next series.

I think the 2012 stuff is a load of bullshit. Seriously, the end of the world must have been predicted thousands of times and we're still here. The Mayans never predicted an apocalypse, all this has been dragged way out of context by idiots.

Their calendar was started at an arbitrary point in time as well, so I presume it ends at an arbitrary point in time.

From a more nihilistic point of view, there's no use predicting the end of the world, because no-one has a fucking clue, no matter how much they might try to persuade you otherwise. All we can do is guess, and there's no serious reason to suggest 2012 is kaput apart from these ridiculous sensationalist rumours. The really sad thing is that some people could well end up killing themselves over this, or spending all their money and ending up in mountains of debt. It's a fucking shame, especially because 2012 has come out and given the theories so much publicity.

Although you are correct that it's not going to be the end of the world, the above quote is wrong.

The calender was based on astral movement and alignment.

That's as may be, but there's no reason to suggest that something catastrophic will happen because of it.

I think people are taking the 2012 rumours too far. That's all they are: rumours. There's no point in arguing because, as someone else posted, if the world does end at that time no-one will be proved right or wrong, and if it doesn't end everyone who said it would will end up looking almightily stupid. As I said before, we can't predict when the world will end, no-one can. It ends when it ends. No-one knows when that will be.

This whole thing with 2012 is stupid, and it's fucking sad that people take it so seriously.

You may have noticed a recent trend of trying to fit every hackneyed doomsday prophecy into the same red-letter year of 2012. The theories are obtuse, their connections are flimsy and the perceived consequences are completely unsubstantiated. Unsurprisingly, these prophecies are enormously popular. The Mayans are probably the most-quoted of the 2012 doom prophecies, and can perhaps be credited with getting the whole fad started. Back when they were an advanced civilization living in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula about 3,000 years ago, they developed around 15 to 20 calendars, all with a slightly different purpose: the Tzolk'in was used to calculate crop cultivation, the Haab followed the cycles of the sun and the Long Count ticked off the harrowing last days until face-bursting ultimate destruction.

It's all fairly self-explanatory.

The Long Count calculates a period of time known as the Great Cycle, which is a count of about 5,125.36 years. Scholars paired up the dates of the Long Count with Gregorian calendars and found that the current Great Cycle began August 13, 3114 B.C, and ends on December 21st, 2012. Dum dum DUUUUUMMM!!! Bolstering their theory is that the date coincides with a winter solstice during which the Sun will align with the center of the Milky Way galaxy. When that happens, some say the Earth's poles will shift and every horrible natural disaster imaginable will come together to form a Megazord of planet crushing assbeat.

What Predictions (Supposedly) Came True?

Uh... It's a calendar. It accurately predicts the rise of the sun every day. Otherwise nothing.

Why it Might be A Bunch Of Crap:

First of all, the end of the Long Count holds no more significance than Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve: the Maya just had a celebration and then started a new calendar. Even they didn't think it was going to be the end of the world, and even if they had, why the fuck would they be expected to know? As for the winter solstice thing, that's just when the Sun is at its greatest distance from Earth. Our poles shifting because the Sun is aligned with the center of the Milky Way makes about as much scientific sense as saying you shouldn't drive at sunset because your car might crash into the sun. Besides, the solstice occurs in June in the southern hemisphere, so if the world looks like it's going to end we can all just move to Australia.

A less popular but equally convoluted source is the I-Ching. In the pre-800-number era of human existence, the people of China received their psychic advice from one of their oldest texts, the I-Ching. You asked the I-Ching a question and a certified physic flipped three coins in to the air, drawing a hexagram based on the results. This told your fortune, somehow. The I-Ching had nothing to do with the end of the world until a man by the name of Terence McKenna came along and made a pattern out of every possible result. After applying this pattern to a line graph accompanied by a timeline of recorded history, he discovered that the high and low points of the graph coincided with several significant events.

On December 21, 2012, the line slowly dips off of the chart, once again supposedly indicating a world-ending catastrophic buttfuck.

The Fall of the Roman Empire
The Discovery of the New World
World Wars I and II

Why it Might be Bullshit:

The reality is McKenna utilized a pattern of his own invention to create a timeline of his own invention, and then predicted world events that had already happened. After all, there's enough bad shit in human history that you could probably correlate several large scale catastrophes right alongside the peaks and valleys of a line graph showing Disney's stock price over the last decade. He couldn't even decide what the end of his timeline signified, claiming everything from the apocalypse to alien invasion to time travel. Honestly, what kind of half-assed prophet was this guy? Maybe the next Batman movie comes out in 2012 and it's a huge disappointment, and the I-Ching just takes it way harder than everybody else.

In the late 90s, some brainiacs created a computer program called Web-bot to make stock market predictions, perhaps out of a belief that large amounts of money would be the only way any of them would ever get laid. Web-bot works like an Internet search engine does, but it presents its results in the form of numerical trends. Basically, it was designed to tap in to our collective unconscious by analyzing information on the Internet and then make predictions based on its findings. So it's kind of like Trending Topics on Twitter, only people inexplicably trusted it to provide meaningful financial advice.

In 2001, the aforementioned brainiacs reasoned that if their program could be used to predict the stock market, it should be able to predict the future as well. According to the Web-bot, small nuclear wars will erupt somewhere in the world in 2009, initiating a series of events resulting in a major cataclysm sometime in--wait for it--the year 2012.

9/11
Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy
New York blackout of 2003
Anthrax scares at the U.S. House of Representatives
Hurricane Katrina

Why it Might be Bullshit:

The Web-bot's data pool is limited to what is being discussed on the Internet. If the National Hurricane Center predicts that an upcoming hurricane season will be a particularly bad one, and everyone online starts talking about it, the Web-bot will spring into action by helpfully predicting the upcoming hurricane season will be a particularly bad one. So why is the Web-bot predicting a cataclysmic event in 2012? Because end of the world alarmists are flooding the Internet with tons of information alleging some apocalyptic occurrence in 2012, that's why. Seriously, it's the Carlos Mencia of clairvoyant robots.

Based off ancient aliens I would assume there will be some alien invasion. If what they talk about on that show is real then you would assume there are many different groups of aliens who came to earth set up different laws in different lands to create dispute amongst all the people for example religious disputes regarding religious law. In 2012 the aliens will come back and either run tests on us (genetically modify us, create human/alien hybrids, etc.), fight an epic battle against another alien group or us humans (in which case would make sense because if all the countries are fighting with each other right now and we cant all come together that will make it easier for the aliens to kill us all), or they could just be trollin us all and not come back. Either way theres gonna be some alien shit going down.

Based off ancient aliens I would assume there will be some alien invasion. If what they talk about on that show is real then you would assume there are many different groups of aliens who came to earth set up different laws in different lands to create dispute amongst all the people for example religious disputes regarding religious law. In 2012 the aliens will come back and either run tests on us (genetically modify us, create human/alien hybrids, etc.), fight an epic battle against another alien group or us humans (in which case would make sense because if all the countries are fighting with each other right now and we cant all come together that will make it easier for the aliens to kill us all), or they could just be trollin us all and not come back. Either way theres gonna be some alien shit going down.
Yeah, we're sure to find that ancient predator hunting camp buried under Antarctica any time now.

How many end of the world predictions have there been in the last century? Probably too many to even begin to list. How many have come true?
None.

2012 is completely idiotic, i mean...seriously, the Mayans calender ends at some date and there for the world ends?
the thing about 2012 the only catastrophe that will happen
is that every one will freak out, start killing each other saying that u will thank them i heaven and raping people becuz its there last time to a little sugaaaaaaaaaa.... any who..2012= is nothing to get excited about.

2012 is completely idiotic, i mean...seriously, the Mayans calender ends at some date and there for the world ends?
the thing about 2012 the only catastrophe that will happen
is that every one will freak out, start killing each other saying that u will thank them i heaven and raping people becuz its there last time to a little sugaaaaaaaaaa.... any who..2012= is nothing to get excited about.

Actualy ,there's more thruth to this than you know because thats actually what is (99%) going to happen. I belive so ,not in a scientific way ,but because this all world-ending apoc. theme needs is a spark ,a robbed bank in the name of judgment day ,a kidnapped president and so on for something to start unraveling. The last day prophecy could be just the name to it and all kinds of shitload things to occur.
Not mentioning that the Sun is going to start to reverse its solar pole's and what effect will it cause to Earth's satelites and so in turn to human life.

Iam very sure the world will end anytime. But it's absolutely ridiculous to set a certain date for the world end: 21. december 2012..
It's what it makes complete bullshit. That's any kind of shit created by mad scientists saying the world is ending at a certain date because a calendar is saying it could never be a true evidence for an apocalyptic catastrophe.
Iam gonna drink my beer in 2012 and watch it go. I don't give a fuck anymore what happens. We polluted, raped and killed everything in 20-30 years and the oil recources will also run dry and we sit in deep shit then.
What I can assume is that this world is just getting more violent, kids getting always more aggressive and that's causing more and more social conflicts we have to face.