2012 Tour

Seems Purveyor kind of flipped, but wouldn't you all be at least a bit pissed if the general opinion on this forum was the other way around? If everyone was going on about how much V sucks in comparison to Iconoclast and Paradise Lost? I mean, that's not an opinion that anyone seems to have (nor should they if you ask me), but just imagine it.

If you're even mildly annoyed by a few people writing they prefer the new records, think about how maddening it is when nearly everybody constantly writes about how much the new records suck. And it's not like there's a correct opinion on which albums are best, unlike many of you imply.

And it's not like there's a correct opinion on which albums are best, unlike many of you imply.

I don't see how anyone implies that their opinion is a correct one? I mean, everyone obviously thinks their own opinion on music is the correct one simply, because it is, for them. What is the difference in saying "V is easily a better album than Iconoclast" and "I think V is easily a better album than Iconoclast"? Nothing really except that the second sentence highlights that it is my opinion while the first one assumes that the reader understands that because I am the one who wrote it, it is my opinion.

I don't really get the point of your question overall either. Would I be slightly annoyed if I was posting on a music forum where the majority of people had different opinions on stuff? I don't know. I find I probably disagree with a lot of people here simply because I don't find V to be Symphony X's best album. I post on a lot of forums. I find it mostly funny when people have retarded opinions and I might even go ahead and tell them why they are wrong, but I don't recall getting mad at anyone. I'm pretty tolerant.

To sum up, if everyone here loved Iconoclast and thought V was shit, I'd probably be able to tell my views the same as I do now anyway. Wouldn't change much.

I cannot fucking believe how some of you slag the band on THEIR OWN forum! They are a fucking metal band! They are sounding the way they are supposed to sound. Like a metal band. I'm sorry I ever posted on this forum, I'm sorry SX has to deal with fairweather fans, and I'm sorry a lot of you have no fucking manners. What a bunch of crybabies! I'm done with this forum. I hope none of you miss me because I won't miss any of you. Except for Sauna. At least he has class.

Ah, you're another of those guys who think every band labeled as Metal should behave the same. Grow muscles, don't ever shave, have lots of booze and tits, talk tough shit, wear black clothes only, keyboards are inferior instruments, women don't belong in metal. That kind of shit. But tough as you sound, who's the actual crybaby? Who's leaving in tears? I won't miss you. The only thing I miss is a band that doesn't try to fit the stereotype.

Who the fuck cares about stereotypes.

I still think Iconoclast is a good album despite all the negativity. I think this setlist is really disappointing though. What was even the point of the poll? LOL

Not that it matters since they probably won't come here again for like the 6th year in a row unfortunately...

The main reason I posted the setlist in the first place was not to poo poo on the band. I personally really enjoy the majority of the new stuff (although it's not even close to as unique or finely crafted as previous ventures), and Iconoclast fairly regularly gets a full run through on my Zune.

Regardless of my opinions on the direction the music has taken, I am just disheartened that a band I have been listening to for 15 years would pretty much disregard the music that made us all come here to talk about them in the first place. I will continue to support the guys for all the great years they have given me to this point, but I would love to feel like when I go see them live (this would be my 5th time) that it's not the same old song and dance.

I know that not everyone here likes Iced Earth, but think about this... they are co-headlining with Symphony X, have 10 studio albums studio albums to date, and their setlist consists of songs from 8 of those albums! 8 ALBUMS!! This is what Symphony X should be embracing in my humble opinion.

I don't see how anyone implies that their opinion is a correct one? I mean, everyone obviously thinks their own opinion on music is the correct one simply, because it is, for them. What is the difference in saying "V is easily a better album than Iconoclast" and "I think V is easily a better album than Iconoclast"? Nothing really except that the second sentence highlights that it is my opinion while the first one assumes that the reader understands that because I am the one who wrote it, it is my opinion.

This is all obviously true, but not what I was getting at. Whether one starts sentences with "I think" or not is indeed irrelevant, but there is a clear undertone of elitism to be noticed in many posts around here. They're written with the underlying idea that people who like the new stuff better are generally somehow less worthy as fans of music or have a lesser "understanding of music". Whether you want to call an attitude like that an opinion as well is up to you, I however find it narrow-minded and ignorant.

Just to be crystal clear, I'm not complaining about how people write here. I like it when people speak their minds straightforwardly, but I can also see how someone might be annoyed by this stuff.

Regardless of my opinions on the direction the music has taken, I am just disheartened that a band I have been listening to for 15 years would pretty much disregard the music that made us all come here to talk about them in the first place. I will continue to support the guys for all the great years they have given me to this point, but I would love to feel like when I go see them live (this would be my 5th time) that it's not the same old song and dance.

I know that not everyone here likes Iced Earth, but think about this... they are co-headlining with Symphony X, have 10 studio albums studio albums to date, and their setlist consists of songs from 8 of those albums! 8 ALBUMS!! This is what Symphony X should be embracing in my humble opinion.

I thoroughly agree with this sentiment.

If you're even mildly annoyed by a few people writing they prefer the new records, think about how maddening it is when nearly everybody constantly writes about how much the new records suck. And it's not like there's a correct opinion on which albums are best, unlike many of you imply.

I can see how that would get frustrating to fans of the new material. To me, the two latest records don't suck. In fact, it's far from it; if taken by themselves, they are very strong albums. But to me these albums don't have the same spark that their first six albums did (not so much the debut one, though). They seem flat in comparison, and a lot of us are frustrated that the band whose songs we used to love every second of now seem to be nothing more than a shadow of their former self.

I think this setlist is really disappointing though. What was even the point of the poll?

My guess is that the poll was created to influence the set of a future headlining tour where the band will get to play a little bit longer. I can't think of another reason why the band would blatantly ignore almost all the suggestions on the poll.

I would love to feel like when I go see them live that it's not the same old song and dance.

That's how a lot of us feel, too. Songs like 'Sins and Shadows' and 'Inferno' are massively overplayed, and it seems the band just doesn't understand that or actually believe those songs are amongst their best material. Either way, I feel that the best chance of us hearing more of their progressive stuff would be if they toured with a band that is much more progressive than metal.

Yep. I used to like Iced Earth a lot more than I do now (back in the strong Barlow era), but their set is amazing. It's not over-saturated with the new album's songs or Ripper-era songs, and thus has plenty of room for classics. Plus, they're playing both 'Damien' and 'Dante's Inferno,' which is amazing. Now they just need to add 'Dracula' and the trilogy of awesome Iced Earth 'D' songs will be complete.

When I go see them on March 17th at one of the shows Symphony X is too cool to play, they'll probably play even more older goodies. Speaking of that, did Symphony X give a reason as to why they wouldn't be playing the last five shows on the tour, or can we just assume that they hate the Midwest?

Will SX play in France this summer?

I don't know, but if they do, I hope France really likes Iconoclast and Paradise Lost.

The DVD for this tour should be called Live on the Edge of Boredom.
Haha, DVD. Yeah, right.

It's possible that SX is just trying to reel in as many IE fans as possible with this tour, and the logical way of going about this would obviously be to play the more straightforward stuff of the new albums since IE fans are fans of power metal. Also, IE is bringing out some of the longer, epic, multi-part songs they haven't usually played (like the 16-minute Dante's Inferno), so maybe they're thinking the same thing the other way around. It's a co-headlining tour after all.

It's possible that SX is just trying to reel in as many IE fans as possible with this tour, and the logical way of going about this would obviously be to play the more straightforward stuff of the new albums since IE fans are fans of power metal. Also, IE is bringing out some of the longer, epic, multi-part songs they haven't usually played (like the 16-minute Dante's Inferno), so maybe they're thinking the same thing the other way around. It's a co-headlining tour after all.

As much as I dislike the setlist, you have presented the most logical theory in this entire thread.

No issue with the set. Some older songs would be nice too, but the band wants to play newer stuff, and I am cool with that too. I think Iconoclast is a very good cd, and I can't wait to see Romeo handling some of these solos live. My only desire would be to see DWOT as the closer the same way the Odyssey was brought back for the last tour.

I think they can do as many bands now,when there is an anniversary they can
play the entire cd in order to make happy all fans as Queensryche do.Who wanted to see them palying live "tribe" or "hear in now frontier"? As they decided
to get the entire "Operation " live,Milan was sold out many months before the gig

This setlist is the reason I opted out of seeing them this tour. There's no variety and, quite frankly, I'm sick of songs from Paradise Lost. I find it hard to believe the band doesn't feel they're overplayed. Most bands like to change up their setlist tour to tour

I'm hoping for a different setlist when it comes time for Prog Power. The guys go back to PPUSA 1.0, and here it is 11 years later...It'd be cool if they'd do something out of the norm.....