2012 Tour

I can't believe how tone-deaf this band is. We've had this discussion before (during the Euro tour) and they're still playing the same boring stuff. And as I've said before, it's not just that they're playing so many new songs from Iconoclast (which I regret buying at this point) - it's that they can't pick any interesting songs from their back catalog to spice things up. And Eve of Seduction and Serpent's Kiss are mediocre, overplayed and in no way classic songs that should never even get close to the encore section of a show!

My problem isn't with the fact that they're playing so much from Iconoclast. This is the Iconoclast tour; it is to be expected. I wish they were playing different songs from Iconoclast, but oh well. My problem is with the lack of any deep cuts whatsoever. The two "older" tracks they're playing are some of their most straightforward material from those eras, and are both massively overplayed. And yeah, I agree about the PL songs. I'd prefer it if they played nothing from PL, but if they must, why not the songs that are actually good?

Here's a set that I would consider reasonable:

Iconoclast
Heretic
Dehumanized
Reign in Madness
When All is Lost
Prometheus (I Am Alive)
Dressed to Kill
Fallen
Out of the Ashes

King of Terrors
Church of the Machine
Domination

Iconoclast songs are still the bulk of the set, but after that, every album other than the first is represented.

My problem isn't with the fact that they're playing so much from Iconoclast. This is the Iconoclast tour; it is to be expected. I wish they were playing different songs from Iconoclast, but oh well. My problem is with the lack of any deep cuts whatsoever. The two "older" tracks they're playing are some of their most straightforward material from those eras, and are both massively overplayed. And yeah, I agree about the PL songs. I'd prefer it if they played nothing from PL, but if they must, why not the songs that are actually good?

Here's a set that I would consider reasonable:

Iconoclast
Heretic
Dehumanized
Reign in Madness
When All is Lost
Prometheus (I Am Alive)
Dressed to Kill
Fallen
Out of the Ashes

King of Terrors
Church of the Machine
Domination

Iconoclast songs are still the bulk of the set, but after that, every album other than the first is represented.

This would be reasonable, except Out of the Ashes would have to be swapped with something that isn't awful (any other track from DWOT)

I saw SX in San Francisco on Friday Night. While I too dislike the setlist, their show was still great. Iced Earth on the other hand, were horrible. Uninspired, monotone songs.
I did find it interesting that many fans left after their set. Hard to believe. But the highlight of my night was seeing Jax and getting a big hug from her! She IS the Forum Goddess.:worship:

The weird thing is that while I find the material getting worse and worse, I find they`re liveperformance better and better... I`m pretty sure that it is because of them turning more metal. I find them, especially Iconoclast, less creative and the music less giving.
I saw them in Barcelona in march 2011, and they`re performance was very good, though they`re music didn`t give me as much as before. I got my girlfriend into SX via the Allen/Lande "The Battle", and she likes the new stuff better than the old stuff. I thinking of going to Sweden Rock this summer, just to see them, but for the first time of my SX-history, I`m hesitating I`m afraid... Cos the setlists they`ve come up with lately, just doesn`t cut it...

I just realized that I probably won't get to see them on this tour. Our university wind ensemble is going on a recruiting tour for 3 days next week, and the last day is when the show in Houston is going on. I'm kind of upset because I already paid for tickets, and if I would have known our ensemble was going to do this, I wouldn't have bought them. I really did want to see Iced Earth, as I wasn't expecting the setlist for SX to be that great anyway.

I'm new here, but I just wanted to share some feelings. I'm a Symphony X fan from Israel, I've been a fan since the V era, and when I found out they were coming to Israel it was a dream coming true.
And then I took a look at the setlist, and... oh god why. It was such a huge disappointment. I mean, Iconoclast isn't a bad album, but it's not even close to the level of their older material. (PL I actually do like for what it is, yet I still prefer the older stuff.)
I'm holding my fingers crossed that what was quoted earlier in the thread about them doing a more balanced setlist when playing in new places is true...

I know, I've been to setlist.fm. I'm just referring to what you've quoted, where they said they're playing mostly new stuff because they've just been on tour to those places. (As opposed to Israel, which is going to be their first visit ever.)
But yeah, I'm trying to prepare myself to getting the setlist they're playing in the USA... :(

I hear you. That's what happened when they first came to Tunisia last year after their European tour, they didn't change the setlist much which isn't exactly what I prefer they played. :( But hey it's still Symphony X, awesome show nevertheless. Enjoy! :kickass:

Hey guys, I'm gonna write in a few things that I know Detective, XJapan, Gentleman, Purveyor, etc. will debate... Good for them too, cuz these guys are CLEARLY DIE HARD FANS! They have been with the X since Evolution began (no pun intended, jk). So for that, they deserve the utmost respect. The band in itself does as well too..Especially on their own website. Most have been courteous with their remarks, but some have been..well...dicks. And I look down on that... It's just immature.

Well I guess I get to express my own opinion too a bit, don't I? God I love forums...
I Love Iconoclast. I saw Symphony X for my first time last night in KC and it is the best show I have ever been to. And I have been to some fudgin shows....
I also love SX too. Though I cannot say that I am a "DIE HARD" because Iconoclast is what drew me in and I have only been with them for about 10 months (goddang this is starting to sound like a relationship, "will you go to prom with me?"). However, I am relatively new to prog and power M in general, so it is still a learning experience for me.
Once I got into the X though (roughly a year ago), I dug into some older stuff. My older brothers told me about the epics.. DWOT and Odyssey. I listen to those on my bike marathons. But my ambitious ass looked into the albums more as well as the band as a whole. I found greatness, talent, uniqueness, beauty... you name it. I love V, Twilight and DWOT.....But I love Iconoclast more. Paradise Lost is okay in my book. But machines taking over the world and all of Romeo's drop D licks and Russel's amazing vocals put into one?.....Oh yea, that's Iconoclast.
As far as Iconoclast goes as a whole, I only love about 3 or 4 songs. But I love them more than I love anything on V or DWOT. Some do sound alike, I agree with that. But if you could see the effect that When All Is Lost has had on me and my buddies' lives, you might crap your pants. Love you all and SX rocks.

Well welcome aboard. :)

When All is Lost is an awesome song. Anything that has Russel singing with a clean voice in it is probably awesome.

When All Is Lost is definitely one of the better tracks on the album, although I find it to not be as strong as most of the older tracks of the same style. Lately I've been listening to Iconoclast more, and there are a few songs that have grown on me (most notably Children, Bastards, and even Lords a little bit). I still think LUTN is the worst song they've ever done, though. Seriously, Shades of Grey is better.

The problem I have with Iconoclast is that most of the songs sound the same. They use mostly the same tonality - that Dm thing that uses D, Eb, F, G, Ab, and C. To my knowledge, they started using this tonality on Paradise Lost, but only in a few songs on that album. Almost every song on Iconoclast just seems to be more concerned with being "bad ass crushing metal" than actually conveying emotion. Getting heavier is one thing, but they didn't need to sacrifice melody to do it.

Romeo needs to get out of this funk he's in where every song sounds the same - atonal and mostly devoid of emotion. I also wish Russ would start actually singing again; maybe that Adrenaline Mob garbage will serve his "angry yell-singing" need so he can actually sing for real in Symphony X. More V, less "I wanna see you drown in flames, yaaaargghhhhhhh!!!"

Oh, and ItsOjMang, welcome! Glad to know you also appreciate the band's older works. And just FYI, Romeo and Lepond play in D standard, not drop D. What are the three or four songs you love on Iconoclast?

The problem I have with Iconoclast is that most of the songs sound the same.

Most is an overstatement, but I can agree that there's some truth in this, especially when compared to their earlier work. With Iconoclast it feels like they've reach the peak of what they can do with this style, so even though it's my favourite SX record, I would like to see them mix it up with the next one.

Romeo needs to get out of this funk he's in where every song sounds the same - atonal and mostly devoid of emotion.

It's not devoid of emotion, you're just devoid of the ability to feel it.

Most is an overstatement, but I can agree that there's some truth in this, especially when compared to their earlier work. With Iconoclast it feels like they've reach the peak of what they can do with this style, so even though it's my favourite SX record, I would like to see them mix it up with the next one.

I'm glad that despite your love for the album, you can see that it does lack the diversity of their previous efforts.

It's not devoid of emotion, you're just devoid of the ability to feel it.

I said "mostly" devoid of emotion. Why is it that I can feel the emotion on their previous albums (including Paradise Lost), then? Only a handful of moments on Iconoclast have any feeling to them, which is quite a surprise after Romeo said that they "really worked hard on the melodies this time." But maybe being cold and emotionless was part of their plan for this record; robots trying to extinguish human life don't exactly have feelings.

Thanks guys.

Detective, thanks for clarifying that they play in D standard. That might help when I pick some of these songs up on my axe this summer :dopey: My favorite songs from Iconoclast would have to be these, and in this order too:

1) Iconoclast
2) The End of Innocence
3) When All is Lost

For me, put those 3 songs on loop all day and I'm good to go :loco:
Well actually just within this week after seeing them live, otherwise I'd probably get sick of them. I don't care much for side 2...Electric is okay, and I actually do dig Light Up the Night, though it sounds like some of the other songs. Lords is good too.

As far as conveying emotion goes, songs from Iconoclast do that for me. Iconoclast gets me pumped a lot, and WOIL just speaks to me like it knows what I've been through. Whether it is interpreted right or not it's lyrics are that powerful to me. "Lose you fear and free your soul, or the mysteries of life you'll truely never know"

Accolade II does this for me too. The break in the middle is just friggin beautiful. "I wish to stay to be here with you, you were my strength I cannot go on"

Paradise Lost is another example of emotion. "So I've cheated, and I've lied..." followed by that wonderful break and "Of Paradise". That stuff gives me goosebumps.

Out of the Ashes has emotions running through me too. It is another song that allows me to reflect on the past and savor it.

Sauna, I don't believe anybody is devoid of the ability to feel the emotion. What I do believe is that, and please nobody take this personal because it is something we all posses, our ego and stubbornness has the potential to block what fresh emotions may be trying to make their way through. For example, I was only into oldies and rap growing up. You either give me Three Six Mafia or Pink Floyd...and that's it. I hated metal. Then something happened, and I really, really started to like it. Dream Theater kicked me in the nuts one day when I youtubed Honor Thy Father. That pretty much did me in, but it still took some time to get into my other favorites (Maiden, Opeth)
The thing is, if I were listening to SX from the beginning and then they came out with records like Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, I too would have to say, wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? :guh: Did they sell out? Are they getting old? and so on...
A massive change in style and pace is quite a blow to the belly sometimes. Imagine what the band members themselves are feeling, although I'm sure they are getting enough shows to keep their minds off of it. And good for them. After seeing them in KC this weekend, I feel bad for anybody who decided to pass up this year's show. :fu: I'm sorry, but that icon is awesome and I had to use it. Don't take it personal.

Sauna, I don't believe anybody is devoid of the ability to feel the emotion. What I do believe is that, and please nobody take this personal because it is something we all posses, our ego and stubbornness has the potential to block what fresh emotions may be trying to make their way through. For example, I was only into oldies and rap growing up. You either give me Three Six Mafia or Pink Floyd...and that's it. I hated metal. Then something happened, and I really, really started to like it. Dream Theater kicked me in the nuts one day when I youtubed Honor Thy Father. That pretty much did me in, but it still took some time to get into my other favorites (Maiden, Opeth)

This is actually kind of what I was trying to say. Saying Iconoclast has no emotion is weird since it does so much so many fans of the band. There's obviously something getting in the way of enjoying it for Detective and co. though, whether it's what you wrote or a simple non-preference for this kind of stuff. The latter would seem strange to me since they haven't changed that much.

How is it that everyone I've talked to that prefers Iconoclast or Paradise Lost also really likes the old stuff, but you people who prefer the old stuff consider IC and PL vastly inferior? It doesn't make prog fans seem like the open-minded listeneres they're supposed to be when such a minor change (in the scale of music in general) makes them turn on a band.

It might make sense if the band sucked at the new style, but that's not the case here. I don't think there's a single band in the world making Iconoclast-style music better than SX.

I agree with you, Sauna. I started listening to SymX with the Odyssey, completely loved it. So, I bought all the older cds, loved them equally, even though I look at them all differently. Paradise Lost came out, and I loved that album, very good songs, some killer chorus'. Iconclast is great, too, some really good songs on there. I like the fact that SymX has embraced the heaviness. I can see where some of the older fans would be put off by it. My only thing would be to tell them to live with it, or move on. I have done that with several bands in the past. I was disappointed, at first, but moved on to something new.

My only request for the band would be to saturate the live setlists with songs from every cd. I know they want to sell/promote the new cd, and they need to, as well. But, the number of new songs is a little on the heavy side, I could see 4 new songs, then do a variety from the rest of the albums.

My music background is quite diverse. I listen to a lot of thrash metal, like Slayer, Testament, etc. I listen to prog metal like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc. I listen to country and bluegrass, too.

I found this message on the band's facebook page:

Did you know..
that the only reason 'When All is Lost' made it to the setlist is because you asked for it? They *did* listen to what you said in the poll..
Jax

I'm pretty sure nearly everybody is thinking the very same thing.

:bah: