2012 Tour

Need proof? Watch any Symphony X live video on YouTube and observe when the camera is not focused on Romeo or Russ. Doesn't happen often.

Indeed and I find it akward that often in their live shows, russ praises romeo and sometimes dont even introduce the other band members. Makes me feel like they think "Ok lets do this kick ass metal show again, we got this good band to back us up".

I lik paradise lost much more than communion

I like both. But Detective is right on the money.

Particularly, the two points about the band saying "Fuck it" when it comes to writing song endings and the guitar taking over EVERYTHING on the last two albums.

I remember a sad eyed Michael Lepond, telling me backstage at BB King's in NYC that unfortunately he didn't get to have any songwriting contributions on PL(before it came out).

Pinnella liking PL may be due to the fact that he helped to write the title track. Beyond that, and I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I hope that Romeo runs out of ideas(at least PL/IC inspired ones).

Fuck.

Beyond that, and I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I hope that Romeo runs out of ideas(at least PL/IC inspired ones).

No doubt he already has from a certain point of view. He at least can't pump out fresh PL/IC inspired ideas at a steady enough rate to avoid slight repetitiveness over the course of an entire album, as is evident on IC.

The only thing keeping IC from being a five-star record for me is the fact that every now and then there are bits and pieces that kind of feel recycled. I wish the next album would be more varied while still retaining all the original-sounding IC-type stuff Romeo manages to create.

I wish the next album would be more varied while still retaining all the original-sounding IC-type stuff Romeo manages to create.

Completely agree. I dig Iconoclast so much, but only because there are 3 or 4 songs on there that blow me away. The other ones are just kind of ehhhhhhh...lesser versions of the awesome ones.

Communion is way better than PL. I'm a new SX fan because I've really dug the new stuff first. But I've given V and even TIO (already been into DWOT and Oddysey) a shot and well... they're the shit, especially V.

Damn, I think V might be the best album as a whole 4 me. When I go to shows though, I do love in-your-face metal, if it's done right. It is just funner that way. I like to jump, haha, just ask SX about the 4 drunk guys up front in KC (It's a cork, bud..). And the tracks off of Iconoclast that were played are the epitome of that. Even V has some of that too, though (Evolution).

I remember a sad eyed Michael Lepond, telling me backstage at BB King's in NYC that unfortunately he didn't get to have any songwriting contributions on PL(before it came out).

I don't blame him for being sad. Along with Rullo (and to a lesser extent Pinnella), he went from what felt like full-fledged band member who was contributing ideas to the guy riding the coattails of MJR and Russ's success.

One of the reasons I find PL and Iconoclast to be one-trick-ponies when it comes to songwriting is due to MJR and Russ writing almost everything. For the other guys, perhaps it just isn't as fun to play something that they didn't write. Maybe this is why Lepond said his favorite album was V and Rullo said his was The Odyssey (I forget what Pinnella said; probably Divine Wings).

If MJR and Russ want the next album to be diverse, they should include the other three guys in the songwriting process.

(I forget what Pinnella said; probably Divine Wings).

I asked him what his favorite albums were and said V and PL.

Either your memory fails you or this guy really can't decide on his favourite.:D

Completely agree. I dig Iconoclast so much, but only because there are 3 or 4 songs on there that blow me away. The other ones are just kind of ehhhhhhh...lesser versions of the awesome ones.

I consider it to be the other way around. I don't think the best IC songs are better than the best songs of their other albums, it's more of a matter of every song being badass even though the album spans two discs.

If MJR and Russ want the next album to be diverse, they should include the other three guys in the songwriting process.

Yes, definitely. It would be nice if someone in the band could shed some light on why they're not getting to contribute. Romeo's probably just turning into a control freak or something.

Either your memory fails you or this guy really can't decide on his favourite.

Haha, I swear in an interview a while back he said Divine Wings, but I may be wrong. It was the same interview where Lepond said his favorite was V and Russ goes "really?!"

I don't think the best IC songs are better than the best songs of their other albums, it's more of a matter of every song being badass even though the album spans two discs.

Just curious - what are your favorite songs from Iconoclast? And don't say "all of them!"

I think trying to write "badass" songs may be part of the problem, as opposed to just writing what they feel (I say "they," but I mean MJR). With PL they wrote a heavier album, and with IC I think part of MJR just said "fuck it" and decided to do more of the same style (since PL was their most successful album at the time). And since IC will probably be their most successful album yet, I don't see much hope for the future.

So guess what I found out...

My friend went to the next show after mine, and Symphony X played Evolution from V!
Which is so funny, because I talked to Pinella and he was telling me how V was his favorite, and we kept talking about and about what songs they could play from it one day, I wonder if I was the inspiration for it!
:D

Just curious - what are your favorite songs from Iconoclast? And don't say "all of them!"

Picking any would be difficult since I don't consider it to have any standout tracks. I love Russell's performance on Bastards and absolutely adore the solo section of Dehumanized, so I would be tempted to name at least those two, but then again maybe not.

I think trying to write "badass" songs may be part of the problem, as opposed to just writing what they feel (I say "they," but I mean MJR).

Maybe he felt like a badass. :lol: Seriosly though, I still see no reason why Romeo would have been writing anything other than what he felt like writing on Iconoclast.

My friend went to the next show after mine, and Symphony X played Evolution from V!
Which is so funny, because I talked to Pinella and he was telling me how V was his favorite, and we kept talking about and about what songs they could play from it one day, I wonder if I was the inspiration for it!

what was the show? I can't find it on setlist.fm

That would be inaccurate. They definitely did not play Evolution in Charlotte. They played the same set as originally listed and I'm pretty sure they haven't varied anything to date on this tour. Was still a damn fine show though!

Evolution was the first SX track I ever heard so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Lol. But yeah, it's a great song. One of their better songs with a simple, straightforward structure.

It's not that I think Evolution is a bad song or anything (when viewed as a whole, V is a masterpiece), but in my book it just doesn't hold up to tracks like Communion, Egypt, Fallen, and Rediscovery. I'm also not a huge fan of power metal-styled choruses, but Evolution does have a decent one.