2012 Tour

So guess what I found out...

My friend went to the next show after mine, and Symphony X played Evolution from V!
Which is so funny, because I talked to Pinella and he was telling me how V was his favorite, and we kept talking about and about what songs they could play from it one day, I wonder if I was the inspiration for it!
:D

He probably got Evolution and Of Sins and Shadows mixed up. They have similar qualities...and your friend just may not be as acquainted with SX to know which is which. Or he drank too much.

It's not that I think Evolution is a bad song or anything (when viewed as a whole, V is a masterpiece), but in my book it just doesn't hold up to tracks like Communion, Egypt, Fallen, and Rediscovery. I'm also not a huge fan of power metal-styled choruses, but Evolution does have a decent one.

This.
I'm not a fan of power metal or straight-forward structures, but Evo just does it so well that I can't not enjoy it.

I went to the show last week in NYC, and of the 5 times I've seen them, this was my least favorite show, though that's not to say I did not like it; I always try to make a Symphony X concert whenever possible.

I think it was the co-headliner with Iced Earth that shortened their act by 1/4, and that this was their album push tour with not-so-great IC choices that led to some disappointment, though nothing against IE's setlist.

I'm probably more optimistic than I should be that their next US tour will be a more balanced set with a few deviations from the norm. Unfortunately, I can already foresee Inferno, Sin and Shadows, StWoF, Eve of Seduction, and Serpent's Kiss as sure things. I like some of those songs, but they could use a break from the setlist for awhile or forever.

I do miss the shows that were in the smaller venues, which had more personality, interaction, and better sets. I guess as the venues get bigger, the more they cater to a generalized audience. Ah well, despite all that, I still thoroughly enjoy their shows.

He probably got Evolution and Of Sins and Shadows mixed up. They have similar qualities...and your friend just may not be as acquainted with SX to know which is which. Or he drank too much.

The last Symphony X show I was at, I had so many Blue Moons that I thought Eve of Seduction was Shades of Grey. True story.

I think it was the co-headliner with Iced Earth that shortened their act by 1/4, and that this was their album push tour with not-so-great IC choices that led to some disappointment, though nothing against IE's setlist.

I agree about the poor song choices from IC. I understand that it's their first tour after IC was released, but they could have picked better tunes from it. Where were Reign In Madness, Prometheus, and Heretic? Instead we got filler stuff like Bastards and Electric Messiah. And as much as I've come to appreciate Children lately, there is better live material on IC.

I'm probably more optimistic than I should be that their next US tour will be a more balanced set with a few deviations from the norm. Unfortunately, I can already foresee Inferno, Sin and Shadows, StWoF, Eve of Seduction, and Serpent's Kiss as sure things. I like some of those songs, but they could use a break from the setlist for awhile or forever.

Again, agreed. There are so many songs that are better than these that are not overplayed. How about Church of the Machine, King of Terrors, Fallen, Wicked, A Fool's Paradise, Absence of Light, Eyes of Medusa, or Walls of Babylon? If you ask me they should drop all but one song from PL, since it was the album before the most recent one. How are they not sick of playing some of those songs?!

Since its release, 'Iconoclast' has grown on me a lot. I'm not a new fan, mind you; I got into them in 2000, and 'V' remains my favorite album of theirs. But despite having some issues with lack of variety, I find 'Iconoclast' very enjoyable. Their show in NC a couple of weeks ago was my second time seeing them, the first being last May in Atlanta, and even though their set featured way too many new songs, it was still a great show. I think Russ is mistaken, though, when he says that it's a whole new generation of fans coming to the shows. I'd rather say that they're seeing new faces mostly because they've been touring a lot more (at least in the US) in the last few years, and for some of us older fans (myself included), this is the first opportunity we've had to see them. Songs like 'The Damnation Game', 'Dressed to Kill', 'The Edge of Forever', 'The Eyes of Medusa', 'Orion - The Hunter', or anything from 'V' would have been fantastic additions/substitutions, and they have a lot of old songs including some of those that would sound very heavy in a live setting, certainly heavy enough to appease this alleged new fanbase. Well, oh well. I hold out hope that they'll play a wider variety of songs at their ProgPower appearance this year.

P.S. I'm with everyone who hopes the rest of the band gets to contribute more music to the next album. \m/

P.P.S. Strangely, at the same time I've been getting into 'Iconoclast', 'Symphony X' has also grown on me. Could they be more different?!

I think he did too. He doesn't at shows, lol. Just a glass of wine everyone once in a while with his wife.
I'm pretty sure he just got confused.

Awesome! They dared to replace Inferno with Sea of Lies? I could actually see them playing Evolution or Wicked before the year is over.

Baby steps.

Glad to see Sea of Lies in there, but I still think they're overplaying STWOF, Serpent's Kiss, and OSAS. But as AsoTamaki said, "baby steps."

I also like that they put Heretic in there instead of other tracks from the new album, since I think it's a pretty exciting live song. Now they just need to put Prometheus in there somewhere and play a few older tunes in place of the PL ones (my suggestions would be Church of the Machine and King of Terrors).

What? You guys prefer Sea of Lies over Inferno? I must be in the minority that really enjoyes Inferno and that doesn't care much for Sea of Lies. That song never grabbed me. Its chorus and main riff are horrible. Inferno ftw!

I never liked Sea of Lies until I heard it on the live album. I've always thought that in the studio version, Russ sounds kind of retarded singing liiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeyayasssssssssssssss or whatever.

When I saw them live, almost after every song people were shouting "sea of lies, sea of lies..." until they finally played it (not sure it was on the original setlist or they just wanted to satisfy the audience).

I don't understand what the fuss is about either. There are way better old SymX songs.

I think Inferno is a better song than Sea of Lies, but it's nice to see that they played something that hasn't been in the set for the last year or so. Sea of Lies used to be just as overplayed as OSAS, though.

I'd rather hear Church of the Machine and King of Terrors. Or hell, whip out some underrated gems from Twilight like Relic or Orion (I only say Twilight because most of the really good tracks from Divine Wings are too progressive for the 'modern' Symphony X to play). If they have to play stuff from PL, at least make it Domination (which some people may not like but don't deny it isn't a great live song) and the underrated Babylon. STWOF and Serpent's Kiss are two of their most overrated songs. And Eve of Seduction, while better, isn't that great live.

At least they dropped Smoke and Mirrors, though. Yeah, it's a classic track, but it's just as overplayed as OSAS.

I like Inferno better than Sea of Lies too. I also agree that Sea of Lies sounds better live than on the album because of the way the chorus is sung. If they wanted to add another track from DWOT they should have played Out of the Ashes. Way better than SOL.

We are pleased to announce the following six shows for September:

09/08/12 Circo Volador - Mexico City, D.F. - MÉXICO
09/10/12 Howard Theater - Washington D.C.**
09/11/12 Soundstage - Baltimore, MD**
09/12/12 Altar Bar - Pittsburgh, PA**
09/13/12 Mojoe’s - Joliet, IL**
09/15/12 Center Stage - Atlanta, GA (Headlining ProgPower USA)

Pre-sale tickets and exclusive V.I.P. tickets (1-hour early entry and Meet & Greet) are available for shows marked with ** at EnterTheVault.com. After May 12th, tickets will be on sale through normal ticketing outlets.

This is awesome. Now I'll actually have a chance to catch them on the 13th (they hardly went anywhere in the Midwest last tour). Hopefully they'll headline and play longer, too. And only two days after is ProgPower; I wonder what their set will be?

I flew all the way up to Worcester (despite the fact I live south of Baltimore) to see them with Iced Earth back in March. Best night of my life, aside from the fact they didn't play anything from V.

I would definitely go to either the Baltimore or DC show to see them again, but my only concern is what if they play the exact same setlist again? I compared the dates to the shows that IE played without them after SX dropped off the tour, and they match up pretty perfectly. Same states, same venues even (for the most part). So that got me thinking, what if these dates are just a way of saying to the fans in these areas "Sorry we couldn't come down to see you with Iced Earth, so we're coming back and giving you exactly what we gave the other shows on that tour"? I would be pretty pissed if it's the same thing.

Though, they posted this on FB:

SymphonyX said:
Hmm.. the Divine Wings cd is 15 years old this year.. how shall we commemorate this milestone.. *ponders*

So, what if they play DW in it's entirety? Or even just the title track? I wouldn't want to to miss that! I just don't know what to think.

So, what if they play DW in it's entirety? Or even just the title track? I wouldn't want to to miss that! I just don't know what to think.

I didn't know they said that. My guess? They'll whip out the title track for ProgPower.

*drools*

All we can hope is that maybe they'll film a DVD at ProgPower. Hell, they may even play more Divine Wings tracks at the other shows, too. I'm not getting my hopes too high, though. We'll have to wait to see what they'll play in June.

So, with the possibility that this may be the last Prog Power USA, and the fact that Sy-X is headlining the last night, and the hints at a special set, anybody from this forum thinking of taking a ride down South for what could be one of the mosty epic sets from Sy-X in a long time? They headlined the first one, and they are headlining what MIGHT be the last one. The stars are aligned......There should be magic in the air.......:Smokedev: