2012 Tour

So, we seem to have speculated on just about everything Sy-X here, and that includes MJR's underpants (boxers or briefs), any speculation on the "special" goings on for their PPUSA appearance in a few weeks?

Anybody from the forum attending besides me? Make sure to say "hi" if you see me there...:headbang:

So, we seem to have speculated on just about everything Sy-X here, and that includes MJR's underpants (boxers or briefs), any speculation on the "special" goings on for their PPUSA appearance in a few weeks?

Well, considering they hinted on Facebook as to doing something to commemorate Divine Wing's 15th anniversary this year, I'm assuming it's going to be something to do with that, like maybe playing the album from start to finish, followed by a "best of" from each album (hey, a guy can dream, can't he?), and hopefully recorded for a DVD. I'd say it's definitely possible, especially considering that as the closer they have no set time-limit and can play for as long as they please. :headbang:

That is, unless the big news about doing something to commemorate the album happens to be releasing it on Vinyl, in which case I will be absolutely pissed off. :mad:

Still on the fence about attending this one. I'm in Charlotte so it's not a far drive, but I wouldn't go all that way just to see the same set I saw on the tour. Now if we are somehow able to get a hold of the setlist prior to the show and it's something awesome like the whole DWoT album I will be there with bells on!

Well, this is a bit disappointing :(:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/symphony-x/2012/peppers-club-san-jose-costa-rica-1bdc4198.html

Aside from The Odyssey, I gotta say I'm now a little relieved I didn't buy a ticket to the show on the 11th.

Wow. What a complete disappointment. I've seen them play The Odyssey plenty of times, and while it's never bad, I wish they'd play something like Rediscovery or Divine Wings. There's nothing exciting here for the older fans whatsoever. I'll probably pass on the show on the 14th.

Why does the band think that Electric Messiah is a good song? It's so filler...

Why does the band think that Electric Messiah is a good song? It's so filler...

I read in an interview with Romeo that it's apparently one of the songs they tend to get a really strong reaction from in concert, along with Dehumanized. I'm personally indifferent to it, but I certainly wouldn't say it's among their better songs.

Anybody from the forum attending besides me? Make sure to say "hi" if you see me there...:headbang:

I'll be there. :kickass: I'll be fighting my way up front for Amaranthe, Epica, and especially Symphony X. There's an interview linked on the PP2012 webpage where Romeo says they are planning something special for that show. One can only hope for something fun like DWOT, Communion, Egypt, or Evolution > Fallen. Don't get me wrong, I like the new stuff too, but I never got a chance to see much of the older stuff live.

Jdub - I'll come and say hello, I assume you're the same guy in your avatar. I'm driving down from Charlotte.

I'll be there. :kickass: I'll be fighting my way up front for Amaranthe, Epica, and especially Symphony X. There's an interview linked on the PP2012 webpage where Romeo says they are planning something special for that show. One can only hope for something fun like DWOT, Communion, Egypt, or Evolution > Fallen. Don't get me wrong, I like the new stuff too, but I never got a chance to see much of the older stuff live.

Jdub - I'll come and say hello, I assume you're the same guy in your avatar. I'm driving down from Charlotte.

That's because you're a true fan, not one of those naysayers who keep on trolling this forum! :headbang:

Well, this is a bit disappointing :(:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/symphony-x/2012/peppers-club-san-jose-costa-rica-1bdc4198.html

Aside from The Odyssey, I gotta say I'm now a little relieved I didn't buy a ticket to the show on the 11th.

80% of the songs from Iconoclast and PL.........And that have been the case on most,if not all of their concerts. I find their setlists rather unbalanced. Come on guys, 6 songs from Iconoclast? I know it's the album you're touring for and all, but 3-4 would be more appropiate. And as for PL, there are better songs than STWOF and Serpent's Kiss( title track, Walls of Babylon, Revelation) though I imagine the former is rather energetic live.

The third thing which kinda annoys me is their choice of songs from the older material. Sins, Smoke and Inferno are all good songs, but none of them are on my top 10,or even top 15 list of SX songs. I understand they can't play too many of the longer tunes when they devote so much time to new material( or, can they? I see they've been playing Odyssey some times lately. What about using those 24 minutes on Rediscovery and Looking Glass?), but I wish they could be a bit less predictable, rotate their setlists a bit more. Throw in songs like Fallen, Egypt, Wicked, or the underrated Orion the Hunter. Or even better, songs like Communion and Church(which IMO are two songs they SHOULD play at every gig.)

I've never seen SX, so I guess I will be somewhat happy whatever they play,as long as I get to see them! But I totally understand the disappointment from those of you who've seen them before. Symphony X has so much more to offer than their setlists suggests.

Islandstone said:
I've never seen SX, so I guess I will be somewhat happy whatever they play,as long as I get to see them! But I totally understand the disappointment from those of you who've seen them before. Symphony X has so much more to offer than their setlists suggests.

My first time seeing them was back in March when they were on tour with Iced Earth, and even though they did play heavily from Iconoclast and PL (with only Inferno and Sins being of the "older" material), I can't deny it was still one hell of a show, and I was indeed singing along to every lyric (I sounded like I smoked two packs a day after that, combined with singing along to IE).

Still, they've been known to do stuff like this for as long as they've toured. Back in 2000/2001, they would start each show by playing the first 2/3 of V, followed by select songs from their other albums.

Same thing for Paradise Lost. Take a look at this setlist from the year PL came out:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/symphony-x/2007/peabodys-downunder-cleveland-oh-43d5172f.html

First five songs all from that album, in order, followed by the most popular from other albums.

But then a year later (if you check other setlists) they started bringing in more obscure stuff into the set, and rotating it nightly (ie. Egypt, Death of Balance, Through the Looking Glass, Church of the Machine, King of Terrors, Masquerade, etc.) I'm really, REALLY hoping that's what the setlist for next year is going to be like.

Please do! Yep, that's me. I'll probably be wearing a Cubs hat, and I'll be working the fest, best job in the world! See you in Atlanta!