2012 Tour

That's the very show I was thinking of going to. Glad I didn't now. As much as I'd love to see the Odyssey, it's not worth sitting through what's essentially the same set I saw them play back in March.

Whatever happens for ProgPower, we'll find out come Sunday. If it really is the same thing but with Divine Wings the song, then oh well, all we can do is hope next year's tour will be more varied.

I went to Baltimore show last night & got a chance to chat with the band backstage after the show. Anyway, someone asked Romeo if they were going to play DWOT at PP, and he looked at them like they were speaking in tongues... So, unless he was playing coy, it doesn't seem like it's in the plans.

I'm seeing them in a few hours at the Joliet show. I know what the set will be, so I'm just trying to make the best of it. At least a few of the Iconoclast tracks will be great live, and while I'd rather see Divine Wings, The Odyssey never sucks.

Got to see them in Baltimore on 9-11 ,Russell shared his 9-11 story about being awakening by a friend who told him "World was ending " outside his window.Awesome show but crowd was small,still crowd was really into the show.:headbang:

Just got back from the Joliet show. The band was as tight as ever, but it was the same set they've had for the last few shows. The crowd really seemed to love Electric Messiah, and even though I'm not a huge fan of the song, it was very intense live. Bastards, on the other hand, should have been replaced with something else.

For some reason, they extended the groovy section in the middle of When All Is Lost so MJR could solo even more (for like two extra minutes), and I don't think it was needed. If I was impressed with one song (aside from The Odyssey), I'd have to say it was Iconoclast. Unlike much of the stuff from that album, it was amazing live.

The crowd was moderately sized, but I've seen far larger for Symphony X. Does anyone know if they have another show tomorrow night, or are they headed straight for Atlanta?

For some reason, they extended the groovy section in the middle of When All Is Lost so MJR could solo even more (for like two extra minutes), and I don't think it was needed.

They did that when I saw them too. I personally thought it was awesome, sort of like the extended solos in the live version of Through the Looking Glass. I always love when bands throw in something extra that's not on the album, since it seems like you're getting a little more bang for your buck.

I thought all the songs sounded epic when I saw them, but I have to agree that Iconoclast was surely one of the highlights, along with WAIL.

They did that when I saw them too. I personally thought it was awesome, sort of like the extended solos in the live version of Through the Looking Glass. I always love when bands throw in something extra that's not on the album, since it seems like you're getting a little more bang for your buck.

I certainly don't mind the concept of it; I love it in Looking Glass. I'm just not a big enough fan of WAIL in the first place to sit through several more minutes of it. I like the Celtic-sounding riff on the guitar and piano in the middle, and the groovy section is great, but MJR kind of overdid it with flashy out-of-place soloing that I don't think fit very well.

Big time thanks to the band for coming to ProgPower again. I'm just getting back to the hotel, I'm so glad that I came.

A huge thanks for opening the set with Divine Wings! When I heard the opening notes, I thought it was Iconoclast to open, then I heard the chorus opening for DWOT and the rest of the SX fans up front started going crazy.

This was my 5th time seeing SX live. I have never seen MJR play so freely, or sound so good. I was lucky enough to be 2 rows back, stage right in front of MJR, screaming my head off having a great time. You guys seemed really into the show, and Russell's stories and jokes were great. Rullo was an absolute terror tonight. I got to hang out with Olaf & Jake from Amaranthe a good bit of the night tonight, talking guitar and about their upcoming album. Seeing Olaf sing along to the Odyssey right next to me was pretty damned cool. Those guys are real fans.

Iconoclast, Serphents Kiss, End of Innocence, and The Odyssey were fantastic versions. Dehumanized solo was great, but during the song I was taking shots with the guys from Amaranthe. :Spin:

JDubya - I wanted to say hello, but every time I saw you, you were doing the cable monkey thing onstage, or running around like a crazy person getting shit done. That was some serious roadie skills on the double keyboard move during Redemption's closer on Friday night. Much respect. :wave:

Shit, if they played 3 of their 10 minute+ songs, they should have just played them all. That possibly could have been a cool setlist.

Also, does anyone know if they skipped the opening choir part like on the live album? Were there any differences this time than on the live album??

Well, I'm definitely a bit disappointed, but let's just hope they keep Divine Wings in the set when they go on tour next year. Now that I think about it, it probably would make for a pretty awesome opener or closer.

donKyle said:
Shit, if they played 3 of their 10 minute+ songs, they should have just played them all. That possibly could have been a cool setlist.

Hell, that WOULD have been awesome. I could see it now:

1. Divine Wings of Tragedy
2. Iconoclast
3. A Lesson Before Dying
4. Through the Looking Glass
5. Revelations
6. Rediscovery
7. The Odyssey

Nearly every album represented with one of the best tracks. I just put the times of all the songs into a time calculator, taking into account their tendency to play slightly faster live and excess time for stage banter and whatnot in between songs, and that brings us to just under 2 hours for the above set. WHY WOULD THEY NOT JUST DO THAT!? It's not like they had a curfew to meet, they could play as long as they wanted.

donKyle said:
Also, does anyone know if they skipped the opening choir part like on the live album? Were there any differences this time than on the live album??

The post up above makes mention of hearing "the chorus opening for DWOT" so I'm going to assume that means the "On the edge of paradise..." part. As for the rest of the song, I suppose all we can do is wait for Youtube footage to surface.