2012 Tour

No, man. It definitely is melodic. That can't be argued. I just don't think that many of the vocal melodies are creative, interesting or good. That's cool if you do.

The average Symphony X song length has always been ~5-6 minutes so nothing has changed in that regard. There's nothing wrong with songs like "Heretic". It's the lack of diversity within the album overall that's most disappointing. I don't really see how you can call it evolving and moving forward when so much of Iconoclast is extremely similar to both itself and Paradise Lost. There are only a few sections of music where something stands out as being unique. Yeah, they've become a little heavier too. Sure.

I think that's the key right there. They've always had heavy songs, but it seems that they've left most of their progressive elements in the past. Almost every song on Iconoclast is indistinguishable from one another; it's just heavy hitter after heavy hitter. There's simply no variety, save for one song.

Oh, and Purveyor, many people don't think that Symphony X has evolved. I'd say they've devolved, if anything. You know, like that gun they used in that terrible Super Mario Bros movie. Now it seems that Symphony X just wants to make HEAVY HEAVY SMASH SMASH music.

^ Hmmm... you're right. These heavy albums only generate temporary fans, not long-term fans like I've been, and originally expected to be. They lose their old fans, and they do not keep the new ones... interesting.

You are utterly, utterly wrong. This post is based on nothing. Also, this forum is the only place I've run into such negativity towars Iconoclast and Paradise Lost, two albums that have generally gotten a great response from both metal fans and metal media.

I also second everything that Purveyor of Evil has written in this thread.

As for the actual topic, I agree that the setlist is bad. Using a lot of songs from the latest album on a tour that supports it is generally a good thing, but this is taking it way too far. They've left no room for classics (except the two that they always seem to play) or, even more importantly, some unexpected curveballs.

I think that's the key right there. They've always had heavy songs, but it seems that they've left most of their progressive elements in the past. Almost every song on Iconoclast is indistinguishable from one another; it's just heavy hitter after heavy hitter. There's simply no variety, save for one song.

Oh, and Purveyor, many people don't think that Symphony X has evolved. I'd say they've devolved, if anything. You know, like that gun they used in that terrible Super Mario Bros movie. Now it seems that Symphony X just wants to make HEAVY HEAVY SMASH SMASH music.
After all, they are a METAL band. Are they not? If there was songs that were stylistically all over the place, then the bitching would start about lack of cohesion songwise. To me the album flows perfectly with WAiL as a break in the action. I really believe some of you people take this stuff too seriously. Heavy metal music is supposed to be fun.

As for the actual topic, I agree that the setlist is bad. Using a lot of songs from the latest album on a tour that supports it is generally a good thing, but this is taking it way too far. They've left no room for classics (except the two that they always seem to play) or, even more importantly, some unexpected curveballs.

"Unexpected curveballs" to Symphony X most likely means Smoke and Mirrors, Sea of Lies, or Evolution.

After all, they are a METAL band. Are they not? If there was songs that were stylistically all over the place, then the bitching would start about lack of cohesion songwise. To me the album flows perfectly with WAiL as a break in the action. I really believe some of you people take this stuff too seriously. Heavy metal music is supposed to be fun.

I realize that Symphony X is a metal band, but lately they've been completely neglecting their progressive elements (except for WAIL, which in my opinion is nowhere near as high of quality as their past progressive songs). It's as if they've completely forgotten their roots.

I speak for many people here when I say that I didn't originally get into Symphony X because they were "just another metal band." Those are a dime a dozen. I got into them because of songs like The Edge of Forever, The Accolade, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight Fantasia, Through the Looking Glass, Communion and the Oracle, Rediscovery, Accolade II, Awakenings, and The Odyssey. You know, songs that most other metal bands couldn't dream of composing.

I like their heavy stuff, too, but lately the problem has been that they write 90% heavy stuff, and the remaining 10% progressive stuff isn't nearly as high of quality as the songs on previous albums. Symphony X's music can be fun, sure, but for me the older stuff also had a lot of musical depth that the last few albums just seem to lack.

Whatever they do I still believe they will do all their best and they will never
disappoint their fans even when they get some solo project ( think about all
the good things Russell did with lande and Ayreon), and whenever they will come in Italy I will be there

That some people label the band as 'metal', which is a wide genre that has no clear boundaries, is not an excuse for making uninspired shit. Yes, music should be fun. All music is, in my experience, amusement. However, I do not get enjoyment out of aggression and repetitiveness.

I'm very disappointed with this setlist. I thought that, after they had those polls, they'd use the past few months for rehearsing some new songs. But it looks like they totally ignored us. Not necessarily fans of the old Symphony X, but every fan that voted in the polls. I hope they actually did rehearse something and that we'll hear that soon. Even if it's just a song or two, anything will do. The setlist can't get much worse.

That some people label the band as 'metal', which is a wide genre that has no clear boundaries, is not an excuse for making uninspired shit...

Thank you. This is exactly how I feel about these excuses being thrown around.

"Symphony X is a metal band"... ummm, I don't care? The music is boring and shallow. I have nothing against metal, as long as it is good, creative, inspiring etc.
Regardless, Symphony X was NOT just a metal band to me when I got into them 9 years ago.

Also, somebody mentioned that us prog-heads would be happy with disjointed songs (and others would complain about that instead).
Do you honestly think that is what good progressive music is? Do you think that is what we are looking for? Is that what old SX sounded like?
No.

Are summer blockbuster action movies fun? Sometimes. I wouldn't expect true movie lovers to label them as the best movies of the year. They may say that the movie was good for an action flick, but the true, deep films that work on many levels would be praised. I view Iconoclast as the former, and old SX as the latter.

What a weird thread. I just saw them in NJ on Friday night, and loved the show. They put on a great show still, and are one of my favorite live bands.

And frankly, if you don't like the shows, I'm sure nobody in the band will lose a wink of sleep. Bands play for 1 reason only: themselves. It's their art, their form of expression, and their form of creativity. If they feel most drawn to <insert song here>, that's their choice. People need to just sack up and realize this.

You are utterly, utterly wrong. This post is based on nothing. Also, this forum is the only place I've run into such negativity towars Iconoclast and Paradise Lost, two albums that have generally gotten a great response from both metal fans and metal media.

I also second everything that Purveyor of Evil has written in this thread.

This is probably the only place you have seen negativity because this is where some of the most die-hard fans are. A good chunk of us have been on this forum for as much as a decade or more (I have been here about a decade myself)!

How long have you been here, or even been a huge fan of the band?

Anyway, I have said this many times, but I will say it again. I don't think the last two albums are anywhere near horrible or anything; however, they don't do anything that tons of other metal bands already do, play heavy "in your face" music. I like this kind of metal along with many other kinds, but, SyX became my favorite band all those years ago because they were creating/playing music that I not only loved, but couldn't find anyone else doing. It is just like they have lost the schtick that made them great. I would bet that if SyX had never existed before PL/IC, and not had their more unique older albums to garner them attention for having a distinct and unique sound, these two albums would not be heralded by the metal media/community as highly as they are. I am sure they would get some good marks and such; however, I think they would be compared with so many other bands, whereas with their older albums it couldn't be done. Hell, because of their older albums SyX actually are used as an example to describe OTHER bands!

I just find it hard to even consider SyX my favorite band anymore because of the last two albums. If it wasn't for their older material, especially V, being so insanely good, I wouldn't even consider them anywhere in my top 5 favorites.

I'm a more recent fan of Symphony X. The first album I bought was Paradise Lost and it had a few tracks I really dug.
But it did not effect me like the other albums I found out about.

Though when I found out about the old stuff, I thought it was AMAZING and truly I could see what Symphony X became known for.
Absolutely incredible when I listen to track like the The Odyssey, King Of Terrors, Evolution (The Grand Design), Smoke and Mirrors, Rediscovery Part 1&2, A Fool's Paradise, Pharoah, Accolade.

Just incredible tracks that I want to hear so bad when I see them live. But now is looks like it's not going to happen, which I'm not trying to tell the guys what to do, I was just really looking forward to hearing the old tracks.
I like some of the new stuff, it just hasn't had a effect on me like the old stuff.

To me these past two albums sounds too much a like.
Yes. There's some good stuff, but I prefer the old stuff.

Imagine the sound of V or the Odyssey (album based around these albums), with a more a modern production.
It would be too awesome.

I'm really hoping these guys will return to the old albums, and the way they sounded. Such a great mix of musicality.

I'm pretty sure they don't play only for themselves so that's wrong.

If there's any backing to this statement I'd definitely be interested in hearing it. That's not exactly the impression I've gotten.

How long have you been here, or even been a huge fan of the band?

I've been registered for something less than two years but I fail to see what that has to do with anything. As for being a fan of Symphony X, I got introduced to the band around 2006 or something, got Odyssey, have been a fan since that. That would make it five years give or take, plenty of time to absorb both old and new material. I think it's all great but prefer the newest stuff which I consider to be unjustly frowned upon around here.

I'm a more recent fan of Symphony X. The first album I bought was Paradise Lost and it had a few tracks I really dug.
But it did not effect me like the other albums I found out about.

Though when I found out about the old stuff, I thought it was AMAZING and truly I could see what Symphony X became known for.
Absolutely incredible when I listen to track like the The Odyssey, King Of Terrors, Evolution (The Grand Design), Smoke and Mirrors, Rediscovery Part 1&2, A Fool's Paradise, Pharoah, Accolade.

Just incredible tracks that I want to hear so bad when I see them live. But now is looks like it's not going to happen, which I'm not trying to tell the guys what to do, I was just really looking forward to hearing the old tracks.
I like some of the new stuff, it just hasn't had a effect on me like the old stuff.

To me these past two albums sounds too much a like.
Yes. There's some good stuff, but I prefer the old stuff.

Imagine the sound of V or the Odyssey (album based around these albums), with a more a modern production.
It would be too awesome.

I'm really hoping these guys will return to the old albums, and the way they sounded. Such a great mix of musicality.

This was refreshing to read from a newcomer. :headbang:

Putting aside what we think about the last two albums, this is a poor, extremely lazy setlist. We can all agree to that, yes?

I'm convinced that the band simply does not want to relearn and rehearse any other songs because there is no other logical justification for what is being played.

I cannot fucking believe how some of you slag the band on THEIR OWN forum! They are a fucking metal band! They are sounding the way they are supposed to sound. Like a metal band. I'm sorry I ever posted on this forum, I'm sorry SX has to deal with fairweather fans, and I'm sorry a lot of you have no fucking manners. What a bunch of crybabies! I'm done with this forum. I hope none of you miss me because I won't miss any of you. Except for Sauna. At least he has class.

I cannot fucking believe how some of you slag the band on THEIR OWN forum! They are a fucking metal band! They are sounding the way they are supposed to sound. Like a metal band. I'm sorry I ever posted on this forum, I'm sorry SX has to deal with fairweather fans, and I'm sorry a lot of you have no fucking manners. What a bunch of crybabies! I'm done with this forum. I hope none of you miss me because I won't miss any of you. Except for Sauna. At least he has class.

Hmmm... this post was probably the rudest of them all.