3 prog cd's come out in the states today

dargormudshark

Sep 25, 2003
houston,Tx
www.dreamspaceonline.com
GUESS WHICH ONE SUCKS?

oo.bmp

so buy the Pagan's Mind or Circus Maximus cd's. This is the only forum beside the SymphX where I can post something like this without getting responses from the DT sheep :erk:

This was the last shot I was giving them IMO, DT is dead :cry:

Discuss, Rant, Get Angry, Praise the album if you want

I"ve never liked that band anyway. Of course, I'm not your source for Prog based cds so take that for what you will!

Amazing album. Except for the first 6 minutes or so of the title track (As cool as Rudess' Continuum is, that section there just gets boring). There are a couple of moments that actually give me the chills, which is something I haven't gotten in a long time. It gave me a couple laughs too...I'm glad to see DT still has their sense of musical humor. It does sound a little more mainstream though, at times. But hey, if it's good music then it's good music. And in this case, I think it's GOOD music.

I'm not really a "DT sheep," I do realize opinions exist...I'm curious though, what do you dislike so much about Octavarium?

This is definitely not their worst release...that honor goes to Falling into Infinity. There are moments on this one that leave me wondering why, but Sacrificed Sons, These Walls, & the title track are great listens. Those 3 rate up there with their best. DT are far from dead...they are still the reigning masters in prog & probably will be for a long time. Nobody comes close to them technically speaking & the structuring they implement in their songs pretty much wipes any other band off the face of the Earth.
Just your average Progressive rock/metal listener here :wave:

I love the Circus Maximus, and thought the Pagan's Mind was pretty good. Overall, the new DT isn't all that bad, to me. Certainly not their best, but definitely not their worst.

--Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension
they are still the reigning masters in prog

they're really not

Hhhmm...make a statement like that, but offer no bands that qualify. There just simply are no bands out there that can match up. Pretty much all current bands in prog genre are compared to DT in some way or another. DT has set the standard for the past 13 years. And, their cd sales & tour sales eclipse any other prog band in existence. That pretty much makes them the masters of the genre. I listen to alot of prog...it's my preferred style to listen to & l snatch up about every thing that gets released that relates to it. DT outshines anything out there.
Hate to sound like a DT nut...it's just that l've been seriously listening to music & singing in bands for 28 years. When l hear something that definitely sets apart from the rest & is basically elitest in form...l'll give credit where credit is due.

Wishmaster said:
I love the Circus Maximus, and thought the Pagan's Mind was pretty good. Overall, the new DT isn't all that bad, to me. Certainly not their best, but definitely not their worst.

--Mike
That's pretty much it right there. Actually I will ad something. I think the first half of the Circus Max album is strong and just loses something in the second half. I wasn't as fond of the new Pagans mind as I was the last release. At first listen I thought the new DT was not that good. After multiple spins I have new found faith in it. As you said : Certainly not their best, but definitely not their worst.

The Circus Maximus dominates well at least the first half and the second is good it just doesnt compare to the first half.

Havent gotten DT yet, but if it sounds anything like ToT I will love it because ToT is one of my favs.

Pagan's Mind, I dont have this one either or really heard the band at all.

Ascension said:
Quote:

they're really not

Hhhmm...make a statement like that, but offer no bands that qualify. There just simply are no bands out there that can match up. Pretty much all current bands in prog genre are compared to DT in some way or another. DT has set the standard for the past 13 years. And, their cd sales & tour sales eclipse any other prog band in existence. That pretty much makes them the masters of the genre. I listen to alot of prog...it's my preferred style to listen to & l snatch up about every thing that gets released that relates to it. DT outshines anything out there.
Hate to sound like a DT nut...it's just that l've been seriously listening to music & singing in bands for 28 years. When l hear something that definitely sets apart from the rest & is basically elitest in form...l'll give credit where credit is due.
someone call the fanboy-mobile.

i'm sure you've never heard any 70's prog or any recent real prog either to consider a once great, but now average band like Dream Theater to be the masters of the universe.

not to mention that fame and forturne are piss-poor standards by which to measure who the "best" band is.

Silent Song said:
someone call the fanboy-mobile.

i'm sure you've never heard any 70's prog or any recent real prog either to consider a once great, but now average band like Dream Theater to be the masters of the universe.

not to mention that fame and forturne are piss-poor standards by which to measure who the "best" band is.

Owned.

Ascension said:

they're really not

Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Frank Zappa.

Symphony X? sure they enjoy less success and admiration, but DT could only wish to be this good, and on Gigantour, it will be seen that DT officially gets OWNED.

Im sure fans of U2 and mainstream pop-rock will enjoy Octavarium. nothing did anything for me until 17 minutes into Octavarium, and I think the fact the rest of the album sucked horribly magnified that 2 minute section. If it wasn't Dream Theater it MIGHT not completely suck, but comeon, THIS IS DT. WHAT THE FUCK.

Ascension said:

It doesn't matter how much people argue over whether DT are the masters of prog or not...one thing is for certain...

Kreator pwns Dream Theater :)

Enemy of God >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Octavarium

urinalcakemix said:
Symphony X? sure they enjoy less success and admiration, but DT could only wish to be this good, and on Gigantour, it will be seen that DT officially gets OWNED.

Very silly statement. It's not very easy to play along with a whole band the way Dream Theater does. And same thing with Symphony X. Now you have to realize that without Dream Theater, many bands including Symphony X probably would not have gotten where they have. That include Symphony X, even though they sound differently.

Both bands are gonna kick ass. It's more like Dream Theater is gonna get you owned.

Ascension is correct in the statement that credit should be given where credit is due. I'm sick and tired of fans getting angry saying how bad Dream Theater is now. Why don't you just just step up and do better? Maybe you can replace one of the bandmembers in Dream Theater and, who knows, save everything.

DementiaGuitar said:
Amazing album. Except for the first 6 minutes or so of the title track (As cool as Rudess' Continuum is, that section there just gets boring). There are a couple of moments that actually give me the chills, which is something I haven't gotten in a long time. It gave me a couple laughs too...I'm glad to see DT still has their sense of musical humor. It does sound a little more mainstream though, at times. But hey, if it's good music then it's good music. And in this case, I think it's GOOD music.

I'm not really a "DT sheep," I do realize opinions exist...I'm curious though, what do you dislike so much about Octavarium?

I think they half assed it that is why. Everything sounds so half assed (writing) the melodies and the song structure

i really do like DT. i still maintain the words i said above. and anyone who claims that they are the undisputed masters of progressive music has to get their ears checked out.