3 prog cd's come out in the states today

Yeah, I noticed the heavy DT influence. I don't remember if I already posted this on this forum, but whenever I listen to Biosfear all I can think of is Dance to Eternity. Until that weird guitar/keys part which sounds exactly like the weird guitar/keys part from Beyond This Life.

Nonetheless, I'm lovin Circus Maximus. Even though they sound rip-offish, I think they have enough talent and style to progress and maintain an awesome sound.

Finally got my CM disc from slow assed CD inzane....they are definetly talented but I'll hold my comments for a few more spins. The new PM disc, I totally love that cd. Not as cool as Celestial Entrance, maybe one step below. The arragements kill and the shifts in tempo really pull me in. We need them back as a PP band.

Same thing it seems with Pagan's Mind. I heard all the hype about them, so I got a few songs.....and it doesn't sound very original either. Still need to listen some more, though.

TheWhisper said:
I finally got my copy of C-Max and have given it quite a few spins, now. While I like it, it could've just as well have been called 'Ode To Dream Theater'. I really do like it, but there are so many DT references on this disc. I hope, on future releases, they can step outside of their obvious influences to get more original.

Now, now, lets not forget there's a song or two (Glory of the Empire?) on there that sound like a complete Symphony X ripoff too.

PS. Octavarium is frickin great. :D
It may just be my opinion, but it's one I value rather highly.

AngraRULES said:
Some people really have a hard time realizing an influence from a rip off...
I assume you're referring to the C-Max cd. An influence is when you say, 'That songs has a DT sound, or a Queensryche feel, or a SymX vibe'. It is a little more than an influence when, as others have noted, you can name the song, by the influential band, that the song your listening to sounds like. I won't use the term 'rip off' to describe any of these discs, that would not be fair, but will say that some influences are just a bit too telling.

As I mentioned in another post, CM is a good band and put out a good cd. They do need, however, to bring a little more of themselves, and a little less direct influences, on the next release. It can be done.

Classic Rock Revisted: Mike Portnoy from DREAM THEATER was really in your corner to get you guys on board wasn’t he?

Russell Allen: "Yeah, Mike was really cool about it and I hope that sort of diffuses some of the bullshit that we've been going through over the years. I first met Mike at a James LaBrie show and then the next day I heard in the press release that Mike was pushing for us. I met him, we hung out and it was cool. He's just a normal guy. The fans make these guys and us, too, out to be monsters. He's just a dud,e man, like me. They weren't snobby or anything, their fans make them out to be whatever and then they pit us against them a lot and all these comparisons over the years. I sound nothing like James LaBrie, man. I don't think (Jason) Rullo plays like Portnoy at all. Romeo and Petrucci might have some similarities with the hammer stuff, but I don't see the similarity in the drumming, nothing in the singing and not too much in the bass playing either and the keyboards are completely different. We're more of a power progressive metal band and they're more a of a prog rock heavy band, you know what I'm saying? Maybe in the arrangements there are some similarities, whatever. The point is they're the kings of prog and we've been coming up in the ranks so quickly over the years so I guess that's why they started squaring us off against each other. We never had anything against them and they never had anything against us."

Just had to post this here. It was on SymphX forum. Apparently, DT fans aren't the only ones that think DT are the shiznit. Geee...singer from one the eminent bands on the prog scene think DT are the "kings". Who would have dreamed it?

Just another example of how I can love someone's music without always agreeing with what they have to say about it.

yes but I don't think DT are the kings of prog....maybe prog metal....but if you just say prog that means prog rock because that was first and it was just called prog then.

THEREFORE KING CRIMSON ARE THE KINGS OF PROG AND I WANT TO SHOUT IT FROM THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!!!!

dargormudshark said:
yes but I don't think DT are the kings of prog....maybe prog metal....but if you just say prog that means prog rock because that was first and it was just called prog then.

THEREFORE KING CRIMSON ARE THE KINGS OF PROG AND I WANT TO SHOUT IT FROM THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!!!!
Are there many mountains in Texas?

dargormudshark said:

King Crimson is very good but Rush and Gentle Giant are both equally as talented and in my opinion, better than King Crimson. Considering that Rush has released 14 solid prog rock albums (and three no-so-prog rock but still good albums (the last three)), I think they deserve the title. Just my opinion. :)

As far as I am concerned, there are very few prog metal bands that are worthy of being mentioned alongside the great prog rock bands of the 70's - bands such as Rush, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs, Frank Zappa, Brand X, Bill Bruford's solo band (Bruford with Alan Holdsworth and Jeff Berlin), Return To Forever, etc. Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Watchtower, and Cynic are the only bands that I can think of. There are of course other good prog metal bands such as Fates Warning, Zero Hour, Pagan's Mind, etc. and while they may be good and certainly worthy of the "prog" title, they are outclassed in most respects (if not every) by the aforementioned bands. Also, I am sorry but I do not consider Symphony X to be prog - to me they are a power metal band with lots of keyboards. Although, like a lot of power metal, I like them, I had to stop listening to them during my daily commute because their rhythm section has sleep inducing qualities. The drums are boring and the bass is inaudible (and probably very boring if it was audible). These guys can't hold a candle to Portnoy and Myung. I have actually heard people refer to Symphony X as a Dream Theater clone and I have a hard time trying to figure out how.

As for Octavarium, it is perhaps the least original Dream Theater album but still good in my opinion. I like it better that the previous two and FII. I guess it's hard to constantly maintain a high level of originality after releasing so many albums.

Ninkasi said:
I guess it's hard to constantly maintain a high level of originality after releasing so many albums.

Just because it's hard doesn't mean they can just put out crap.......and Dream Theater have put out barely any albums at all compared to some people who still innovate, so I'd rather listen to someone else.