3 prog cd's come out in the states today

I don't know what I think so far of Dream theater new cd but metalcore over Pagan's mind???? That musical trend must die. Give me old glam rock over that metalcore crap.

At least metalcore is evolving, unlike prog metal. At least it has aggression, unlike Pagan's Mind. At least some metalcore bands are unique, unlike PM. And at least As I Lay Dying can still write SONGS. DT stopped doing that almost ten years ago. And be careful that you don't compare the cream of the crop in metalcore (As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Reflux) to the shittier bands in the genre (almost everything that gets played on the Headbanger's Ball). There's quality stuff, and then there's the majority of metalcore. Just like almost any other musical genre.

And, to be technical, the new As I Lay Dying sounds more like a Gothenburg-style melodic death album than a metalcore album. I don't know if they technically qualify as "metalcore" anymore.

booB said:
I don't know what I think so far of Dream theater new cd but metalcore over Pagan's mind???? That musical trend must die. Give me old glam rock over that metalcore crap.

At least metalcore is evolving, unlike prog metal. At least it has aggression, unlike Pagan's Mind. At least some metalcore bands are unique, unlike PM. And at least As I Lay Dying can still write SONGS. DT stopped doing that almost ten years ago. And be careful that you don't compare the cream of the crop in metalcore (As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Reflux) to the shittier bands in the genre (almost everything that gets played on the Headbanger's Ball). There's quality stuff, and then there's the majority of metalcore. Just like almost any other musical genre.

And, to be technical, the new As I Lay Dying sounds more like a Gothenburg-style melodic death album than a metalcore album. I don't know if they technically qualify as "metalcore" anymore.

oh man, even the best metalcore bands are just ripping off the most basic of At the gates slaughter of the soul riffs. I grew up in the hardcore scene and these kids always hated metal. Now, they hear At the gates, start growing emoish style long hair and have one member(usually the drummer) who inputs soft clean vocals to woo the girls. Killswitch engage aren't anything special. To be the best smelly s#$t still makes you s#$%. It is a trend just like nu metal was or grunge was. There are always a few decent bands who usually begin the trend followed by tons of followers.

Metalcore/fashion core is just going the way of the dodo bird and is the modern glam rock in the way it will kill it's own self.

You have to remember. Prog and Power are just something I enjoy here and there. I am based in most brutal and melodic metal. No one needs to tell me where metalcore are trying to sound like. I always wondered why metalcore tried to worship at the alter of slaughter of the soul cd. It isn't even At the gates best cd.

enjoy the trend for as long as it lasts.

okay, but your argument only holds water if you hate everything by In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy (including Black Earth), and Soilwork as well. And, if so, then you won't convince me of anything anyway, as you just come off as a guy who simply doesn't like the genre. You sound exactly like the power metal fans who say, "I hate those rahh rahh rahh cookie monster vocals."

It's true that At the Gates started a trend -- a BIIIIG fucking trend. So did Dream Theater, Helloween, Bathory, Possessed, Metallica, and Menudo. It doesn't invalidate the music of all the bands who followed those trends.

So you, personally, don't like metalcore, while I buy As I Lay Dying and believe that Pagan's Mind is one of the most boring bands I've ever heard... so what? You're starting to sound as grumpy as Jim "These damn kids and their damn metalcore" Raggi.

Defend? How? It's an opinion. I don't think any of the songs DT has written since Awake hold up to their earlier work.

I challenge you to REFUTE my statement.

booB said:
Defend? How? It's an opinion. I don't think any of the songs DT has written since Awake hold up to their earlier work.

Scenes From a Memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booB said:

I'm not going to refute your opinion, just the asinine way you worded it. Saying you don't like the way DT writes their songs anymore is one thing, but saying something like "at least As I Lay Dying can still write SONGS. DT stopped doing that almost ten years ago," is just retarded.

I think the DT is absolutely amazing! Every time I listen to it I love it more and more. To me, it is one of those cds where you need to listen to it start to finish with the lyrics to truely appreciate it. I think that in the years to come, people will look back upon this cd and realize what a masterpiece it is. (My only complaint with the cd is that they should have done a nice melodic solo in I Walk Beside You).

As for CM, I originally ordered it from CDU but it was backordered so I cancelled and ordered it from Lazer's Edge; can't wait to finally check that out!

Yan

AvianGuitarist said:
I think the DT is absolutely amazing! Every time I listen to it I love it more and more. To me, it is one of those cds where you need to listen to it start to finish with the lyrics to truely appreciate it. I think that in the years to come, people will look back upon this cd and realize what a masterpiece it is. (My only complaint with the cd is that they should have done a nice melodic solo in I Walk Beside You).

As for CM, I originally ordered it from CDU but it was backordered so I cancelled and ordered it from Lazer's Edge; can't wait to finally check that out!

Yan
I agree with you, this album does get better with each spin. Which is why I waited a couple of days before posting in here. It seems to me you need to listen to an album, any album, more than half a day to absorb it enough to offer an opinion. I have heard complaints about melodies...I think there are some great melodies, and some great vocal melodies, on Octavarium.

I would disagree with you, Yan, about I Walk Beside You, in that it is a song, imo, that doesn't need a solo...you crazy guitar players and your solos :D If I would add a solo, I might have added something with the keys and not guitar, but I really do think that song is perfect, as is. I will add that it is my favorite song on Oct., right now. :)

I haven't heard the Pagan's Mind and am waiting on my copy of C-Max.

Wolfgang, what's up bro? Never mind DT, how about "A New Beginning" at the pre-party!!!!! Along with A Voice Inside, I Leave the Past Behind and Reborn... I will soon post which songs are my favorite from Trance Like State. I just recently found the japanese version of Very and quickly picked it up to hear Hubi doing Fateful Silence!!! AMAZING!!!! The bonus track is killer as well. Really looking forward to seeing you guys again and hope to hear at least 6-8 songs from Very and Trance Like State. How are the recordings going for the re-recorded versions of the older material???
DREAMSCAPE 777 said:
i meant 2 weeks ago... sorry for that...
best regards
wolfgang

hi!!!
just read the forum and then... a entry for me... iam surprised!!!
ok - the rerecoding cd - is almost done... vocals are missing... lol... its always the same problem... :)) but it will become a great album!!! the release date will be in september... we definitely will have some copies with us when we are in the states!
and we are now working on the next regular album (4) - iam very happy with its progression... it will become more varied. sometimes harder, sometimes faster but always dreamscape.
best regards!
wolfgang from dreamscape

I guess everybody's a critic when they don't write music themselves! I personally dig the new Dream Theater. I like the fact that they approached this album very differently from the last one. It doesn't have that bouncy heaviness or the "need for speed" guitar solo vibe like "Train Of Thought." It's more melodic, and there's a lot of tasty playing on it. Perhaps they're not doing anything to push the boundaries of the genre with this album, but they're certainly not stagnating. I will now end my rant and let everybody continue their bickering.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Ascension said:
DT are far from dead...they are still the reigning masters in prog & probably will be for a long time. Nobody comes close to them technically speaking & the structuring they implement in their songs pretty much wipes any other band off the face of the Earth.
Just your average Progressive rock/metal listener here :wave:

Go listen to Pain Of Salvation, for one, and rethink that statement.

And let me just elaborate and say how ignorant I think that is. Have you ever listened to any jazz? Those G3 jams they do with Petrucci are about 1/10 as complex as almost any jazz song, and you're still improvising. John Petrucci has to have exposure to that stuff, since he went to Berklee, and I would say Liquid Tension Experiment has some influences from that.....I think Liquid Tension Experiment is probably the highlight of his guitar playing, and then Images and Words and Awake, then Scenes From A Memory.

It's hard for me to believe that you really think Dream Theater's songs, especially on Octavarium are the most complex and best written things ever, and nothing in the world can top them. -_- Sure their older stuff was written much more in depth, but you apply their recent material to their playing abilities, and it's just not there. So either they're getting lazy or holding back, whatever. Either way it results in mediocre music.

On another subject, I just checked back on the dt.net boards for the first time since they were closed......and they probably should have stayed closed. All the blatant ass kissing and the "if you don't like it you need to get your head out of your ass and quit wanting Images And Words II" attitude is so obnoxious. Don't think I'll be going back to the Octavarium board.

Ascension said:
If all you say is so...SymphX is better than DT and all...then why weren't they contacted first to tour with Mustaine & crew? Why did it take a suggestion from Portnoy to get SymphX on this tour? If they are better than DT it just seems likely that they would be contacted first...right? I mean....surely the best would be on everybody's list to tour with. Just trying to follow your kind of logic (???).

That is absolutely failed logic. Go look at the other bands on the second stage and tell me those bands were contacted based on how great they are. The best are never what makes up a festival. It's what sells. Every time, whether it's Cryptopsy or Dream Theater touring.

As for other releases, I've got the Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Ulver for releases this month. Just ordered the upcoming Subterranean Masquerade which should be awesome.

Some other "progressive" albums released this year I'm predicting are going to be great (haven't listened to most of them yet):

Ulver - Blood Inside
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Strapping Young Lad - Alien (know it inside out)
Fantomas - Suspended Animation
Frantic Bleep - The Sense Apparatus
Solefald - Red For Fire, Black For Death
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Symphony X - untitled as of yet

On this note, it would really be cool to see some more really progressive bands featured at Prog-Power. "Prog" is fine, but it would be great to see some really unique and original bands pushing the boundaries, and would also be great since a bunch of the "progressive" bands don't seem to tour much, so it would be extra special. Orphaned Land is one of those bands, although they don't seem quite as progressive as some of the ones I mentioned, maybe a bit more on the folk side.

You know what, Dream Theater just gets too boring lately, too much acrobatics and mellow moments in the songs. The low moments also get repetitive. I did like Train of Thought, I was into the heavier guitar sounds. They are a great band but I think there are others out there that are just more exciting and better than them, Dream Theater are not the be all end all of Prog.

The new Pagans Mind, and their second cd, just kills, those guys have exciting and ass kickin arrangements. I'd say they could take the crown away from Dream Theater any day now. High energy stuff.
Same thing with Symphony X, love the heavier guitar sound on the Odyssey. Evergrey also are at the top of the Prog food chain.
Dont count out Royal Hunt either, "Eyewitness" was good and the new one "Paper Blood" is growing on me pretty quickly. I still favor "The Mission" and "The watchers" though. John West rules.
Watch www.thatsometal.com for a review of the new Pagans Mind this week and in the near future Dream Theater and Circus Maximus.

TheWhisper said:
How dare you disagree... :Spin:

I'm a stubborn little wench (ha ha)!

You need to get the When Dream and Day Reunite dvd, then you can hear all of WDADU with JLB on the vocals instead of Charlie.

Then we can agree to discuss it more. Preferably over lunch or dinner and you footin' the bill for it (ha ha)!

Cheeky BABS signing off now...

BABS said:
I'm a stubborn little wench (ha ha)!

You need to get the When Dream and Day Reunite dvd, then you can hear all of WDADU with JLB on the vocals instead of Charlie.

Then we can agree to discuss it more. Preferably over lunch or dinner and you footin' the bill for it (ha ha)!

Cheeky BABS signing off now...
Sure...you can even supersize your combo meal at the Golden Arches Dinner Club. :D

I finally got my copy of C-Max and have given it quite a few spins, now. While I like it, it could've just as well have been called 'Ode To Dream Theater'. I really do like it, but there are so many DT references on this disc. I hope, on future releases, they can step outside of their obvious influences to get more original.

'The 1st Chapter' is a good debut, but , for me, 'Octavarium' stands head and shoulders above. I'll be interested to see how C-Max grows and if they can come into their own on future releases.

Yeah....Circus Maximus is good enough to be fun to listen to and for Prog-Power.....but in all honesty, they're almost completely unoriginal and rip-off. Not progressive at all.

Sorry......

The CD is very nice, it's just not too original.

Norway is still definitely where it's at with progressive music with classical roots though. There are so many great progressive bands there that need to be at Prog-Power.