7 Horns 7 Eyes tracking begins!

I'm sorry, but I vomited a little after reading that (must have been the wreak of cheese). Take no offense to anything I say but this to me just sounds like the typical American fundamentalist Christian, the same ones claim they're doing God's work while rallying a homosexual soldier's funeral - doing God's work of course!
Yes I'm Christian, I'm Irish (if anyone's had Christianity bashed into them, it's us) but you have no idea of the damage that religion alone has done to this country. I'm not referring to the north exactly (although that does speak for itself) but more-so the rest of the country. The Catholic church has run this country for hundreds of years and recently the government signed a bill banning blasphemy in Ireland, a blatent obstruction of our right to freedom of speech.

I prefer my music without the writer's religious beliefs being an issue.
Religion = War.

It's pretty much my fault that this post was made anyway, since I said what I said to the "props for being Christian and not sucking" thing. I don't want to continue the derail the thread, but I do want to respond to digitaldeath.

Comparing me to deluded "Christians" who would rally a homosexual soldier's funeral and stand around with signs reading "GOD HATES GAYS" is pretty outrageous, especially considering you are making that comparison based off such a short statement I made (although you didn't offend me, so no worries with that). More than anything, it honestly just makes me sad that such a tiny minority of erroneous extremists can make so much of an impact on the world, that they actually cause other people to believe that they are the definition of being Christian. There is absolutely nothing Christ-like in that kind of behavior; those people obviously have completely failed to learn from Jesus' teachings, and have forgotten that Jesus spent time ministering to all types of people that he encountered. There was no one that Jesus kept his distance from and instead opted to heckle and verbally torment.

And, Christianity (or any religion) is not something that can be force fed to a person...

if anyone's had Christianity bashed into them, it's us

Your government can pass laws and suppress whatever freedoms they see fit to suppress, but is that really going to create a nation of people who genuinely believe in and love God? Of course not. That's like a parent forcing their teenager to go to church who absolutely hates/disagrees with it and only goes because he has no option not to. Jesus never forced anyone to try to believe anything, so if a "Christian" government thinks that they're somehow helping to advance the message of Christ through passing laws, then the result will be a miserable country who is largely devoid of true believers.

/response to digital death

I am obviously not trying to make a pitiful attempt to force feed Christianity on anyone through my music. Sure, there are Christian songs that have lyrics that are meaningful to me (just as there are songs that have lyrical meaning to you), but music is music, and I'm passionate about music for the very same reasons that all the rest of you are. It's just that as a Christian, I am called to strive to be like Christ in all that I do; this is something that is taken day by day and continues for the entirety of my life. If you understand my faith in that way, then how could I possibly pursue a serious music career without making my relationship with Christ the very heart of it? Bands like As I Lay Dying for whatever reason prefer to not be labeled as a "Christian band", but still have pretty blatant Christian lyrics, so what's the difference? Being labeled a "Christian band" doesn't bother me, because, well, I'm a Christian, and no matter what I'm still going to put as much energy and care into songwriting as any other secular band will. If my music sucks, it would have sucked anyway if I was an athiest :lol: The lyrics are naturally going to be written from a Christian worldview, the exact same way that any band writes lyrics from whatever worldview they have.

And that's what 7 Horns 7 Eyes is all about, and what I meant when I said:

...if I couldn't talk about Christ in the music I write, then I wouldn't be making music (or at least be seriously pursuing it)

If anyone wants to discuss this in a lengthy way, just send me a private message or start a new thread, so we can keep this thread on topic!

So are the hi-hats. Any particular reason for this?

The china was mic'd from underneath because it sounded great when we tried it that way, and thus had no reason to change it. With the hat, I decided to try it from underneath so that I could get the snare drum right in the microphone's rejection zone (my drummer has a pretty large distance between the hat and snare, which makes me smile). The hat sounded completely normal/the way it should, and although the snare is of course audible on that track, I'm confident that we minimized the snare bleed as much as mic placement will allow. Probably a dead room would have taken even more snare bleed out of the hat mic, but a bit more snare bleed is acceptable when the benefit is tracking in a nice sounding room!

Aaron, this sounds like it's shaping up really good. Plus, it's giving me a ton of ideas for next year (hopefully) when I plan to do a full-length with my band. Your attention to detail really seems to be paying off.

Aaron, I certainly don't wanna keep drawing attention to this, but I will say that while I'm 100% agnostic (believe in more than meets the eye, but don't think any organized religion comes close to explaining it), my Mom is pretty big into Christianity; goes to church regularly, does freelance editing work for Guideposts, and even has started writing Christian fiction (or rather, fiction involving Christianity, but unfortunately that seems enough to pigeonhole it, as I suppose you can relate to, being somewhat forced into the Christian Metal thing yourselves! :erk: ). But to me, she represents what a ton of Christians are, at least in this country - good people who mind their own business, and try to live happy lives following the undeniably positive and good messages of Jesus (love others, golden rule, etc.). So I guess what I'm saying is I have no doubt that you guys are amng them! :headbang:

If anyone wants to discuss this in a lengthy way, just send me a private message or start a new thread, so we can keep this thread on topic!

Amen ( :lol: )to that! I'm not into any kind of religion whatsoever but with music that good I'd put up with Aaron being a nazi lawyer politician (j/k)

Back to the topic: when is reamping due?

Hey dudes, it has been forever since I updated this thread. First of all, the latest video blog:

The bass chain goes Schecter Diamond Series Studio-6 -> Chameleon Labs 7602 preamp (DI input, no EQ active) -> Digi002. We've been changing out the low A-tuned string about every three songs, as it gets used the most (most of the clips in the video are pretty musically monotonous, although the album overall is pretty varied and doesn't sit on the open A as much as the video would suggest). There's some EQ and compression inserted in Pro Tools (Waves Renaissance EQ and Metric Halo Channelstrip), but it's not being printed to tape. With the 8-core Mac Pro, I had all the guitar DIs running, which usually is about 10 instances of POD Farm, as well as at least 10 instances of Renaissance EQs in the session, and it does just fine with the hardware buffer at 32...I love it!
I expected tracking to be totally done by now, but things slowed down a bit in August and September (rehearsing for the few Huntour dates we did with Demon Hunter, vacations, etc). Also, we've drawn the interest of more than one record label, and have been negotiating multiple offers, so even if tracking had been done already, things like reamping and mastering are now contingent on whether or not we end up signing something. I would love to have the album done already, but I'm not discouraged or anything as there as been a lot of very positive stuff happening, so it is what is!
That said, vocals have just gotten underway, and we're going to try to do a day on/day off thing as much as possible to keep things on track, as well as to keep vocal cords rested. I'm tracking the screaming SM-7 -> Joe Meek Twin Q (no compression or EQ) -> Crane Song HEDD (via SPDIF) -> Digi002. This is the first time I've tracked anything with the Crane Song as the A/D, and maybe it's all in my head, but I swear it makes the vocals sound a little bit bigger and up front... In the past I've done vocals through the Presonus Digimax...
Anyway, not much else to mention, but hopefully you enjoyed the video, and as always, feel free to ask questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds really good, sick bass tone.

You know what would be awesome..
if you could post one of the songs for us to mix, when you're done. Something so professionally tracked would be awesome (most of the raw tracks up here have pretty average players/engineering).

Sooooo, since we're finally about done with tracking, I've started messing with mixing the drums!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/519722/7H7E_drum_mix_v1.wav

I don't know how close this will be to what ends up in the final mix...obviously it depends a lot on how they sit against the reamped guitars and all (I've been mixing against the POD tracks thus far), but so far I'm pretty stoked about how they sound. The kick is comprised of two samples, created from about 10 samples stacked up (a combination of my kick and my drummer's kick), the snare is about 40/60 live/sampled (a sample of the same snare, recorded last week at my house with an ATM450, which by the way made the i5 on the snare sound like absolute poop in comparison), and the toms are au naturale :) Just a highpass on the OHs at about 550Hz and an L1 sucking about 3-4dB of snare out; the china is manually gated with cuts/fades, same highpass but no L1 necessary. Reverb is D-Verb (Room 2 algorithm, 1.2 second decay, lowpass at about 10.5k), with another EQ in the chain as well, highpassing around 250Hz and a bunch of other scooping to make it sound right.

And yes, I might share some raw samples eventually :p As for sharing song files later for mixing, it depends on whether or not we own the masters when the album drops. If we sign something, I don't think I would have the right to do that...

Sounds great.. love the snare and kick. Although with the consistency of your drummer.. is 100% sample replacement necessary? I'm not really familiar with your music, but Blackwater Park and Reroute to Remain have some of my favourite drum sounds with totally real kicks.

Cymbals sound kinda weird. Too much 1k? I cna't really say. Sharing those snare and kick samples would be awesome ;)

Sounds great.. love the snare and kick. Although with the consistency of your drummer.. is 100% sample replacement necessary? I'm not really familiar with your music, but Blackwater Park and Reroute to Remain have some of my favourite drum sounds with totally real kicks.

Cymbals sound kinda weird. Too much 1k? I cna't really say. Sharing those snare and kick samples would be awesome ;)

I'm not replacing the kick out of necessity, just out of taste. I really dig the sound of a sampled kick (for metal) when it's done just right... Sneap's got it nailed in my opinion- super soggy and thwacky, and very consistent, but not blatantly fake sounding (although I'm sure some would argue that it is blatantly fake sounding). The kick on "Reroute To Remain" is almost nonexistent to my ears... I mean I'm just listening on crappy Dell speakers right now, but still...honestly, I'm not fond of that sound at all really. And the kick definitely fits well on "Blackwater Park", but it's a pretty different sound than I would want for 7H7E. Also, I like the kick better on "Watershed" :heh:

Not sure what you're hearing with the cymbals... A 1k dip would smooth them out a bit, but the current amount of 1k doesn't bother me either. We'll see how it ends up come mix time!

drums sound killer man, i can't wait to hear full mixes!

You know what would be awesome..
if you could post one of the songs for us to mix, when you're done. Something so professionally tracked would be awesome (most of the raw tracks up here have pretty average players/engineering).

+1

that would be pretty awesome!

Hey Aaron, are you mixing with Protools HD right? Or it´s LE?, if so, how do you manage latency compensation, because i.e. L1 adds a lot of latency. I´d like to know also, panning of toms and chain fx in Cymbals, OH´s mainly. Thanks dude!

sounds awesome dude!

One thing though...being a drummer myself, it always bothers me when drums are panned from the engineer's perspective instead of the drummer's perspective(assuming it's a right handed drummer). From what i've discussed with other drummers, i'm not the only drummer that is bothered by this. When i'm listening to a song, i tend to visualize myself behind the drum set if i'm mentally playing along with a song. It's really weird and kind of dumb, but it's something that non drummer engineers dont really think about. I know it seems like a dumb thing to nitpick about, but i always look at it like this: If it bothers drummers, and normal people dont care either way, might as well pan it from drummer's perspective:)

If there is a counter argument to this out there, i'd definitely be open to hearing it.

Hey Aaron, are you mixing with Protools HD right? Or it´s LE?, if so, how do you manage latency compensation, because i.e. L1 adds a lot of latency. I´d like to know also, panning of toms and chain fx in Cymbals, OH´s mainly. Thanks dude!

I use L1 alot, and i dont think it adds more than 120 or so samples of latency. Not enough for anything to sound off to me.

If there is a counter argument to this out there, i'd definitely be open to hearing it.

The only argument for audience perspective panning would be dudes that are used to mixing FoH or watching a band - in that sense, audience perspective is more accurate.

But I fully agree with you... drummers perspective is where it's at for me, because it makes me feel more 'inside' the music, if that makes sense.

The only trend I've been able to piece together with it is that it seems more Euro guys tend to be audience perspective, while guys in the States tend to go drummer perspective.