7 Horns 7 Eyes tracking begins!

You have good vibrato, which is kinda of unusual to see these days. The amount of newly signed bands I see where the guitarist has no concept of what good vibrato is, is quite worrying.

So are you recording all the DI's then reamping after all the recording and editing is done? I agree with you, I think that editing and comping and is a lot of clearer and seems less cluttered when just recording the DI.

Nice work, look forward to the final product.

I couldn't agree more about the lack of good vibrato out there in new bands... There is nothing more irritating than a player who has a vibrato that sounds completely forced and without feeling. I would rather hear a solo with no vibrato at all, than a solo with poor attempts at vibrato! Although, no vibrato doesn't really hit the spot either (*cough*, JFAC "Genesis")...

You are correct, I'm not even worrying about any real tones until all the tracking is done. I got the POD Farm idea only about a week before I started tracking, and I was really excited to find that I could get the latency to be minimal enough that it's nearly impossible to even notice.

aaron, do you use a real TS in front of it? thx

I'm using the tubescreamer stompbox inside POD Farm, and it definitely helps the tone a lot. sysera nailed it- in this case, using a real tubescreamer would only make it more complicated to record totally dry DIs. However, if for some reason I wanted to use a POD tone for an actual mix tone (which I can't foresee ever doing), then it would definitely be worthwhile to mess with a real tubescreamer instead to test the benefits.

Why not just get a dedicated DI box? ;) (cuz it has an instrument through output, and will probably preserve the signal more than splitting it before it gets buffered/converted to low-impedance)

This still wouldn't solve the issue of auditioning the DI tracks through POD Farm while also hearing the analog tubescreamer in front. If you want to hear the analog tubescreamer while playing the guitar, but also hear the analog tubescreamer during playback, I don't think there's any efficient way to route that. It would be fine for reamping, but not going back and forth from listening to takes and actually tracking takes...if that makes sense.

Shit. I love your band's music. Will definitely look out for the finished CD. Just hope the vocals will be as good as the music ... :)

Glad you dig it! What kind of vocals are you into? I would say that the vocals on the Myspace songs are fairly representative of our vocal approach to the album. Mostly screaming/growling (also some lower doomy growls at times), and then some ambient Devin Townsend-esque "oohs" and "aahs" where appropriate. A bit of actual singing parts with lyrics, but not really any reoccurring parts like choruses or anything...

Do you record riff by riff then chop it up into your song? Or are you just doing that for the leads, and actually playing the whole rhythm through?

As I mentioned before, this is my first time doing serious quad-tracking, and it can be tedious if you aren't careful with tuning. Thus far the guitar has been holding the tuning really well, but when it comes to really nailing all the little different subtleties that can occur between four tracks, I've found it very helpful to copy and paste where I can. Longer takes = more takes due to differences between takes = more tuning issues. However, I've been playing through at least two consecutive passes of each riff for everything, or more if the riff isn't very difficult...so there aren't tons and tons of very small pasted sections (Dragonforce anyone?!). As far as I know, all of my favorite tones and albums out there have been achieved by using the copy/paste approach, so I don't have any "moral" issues doing it myself. As long as I don't suck live, then it doesn't really matter much to me if on the album I make use of comping, string muting, etc!

And Greg, it's a Schecter Elite 007. Pre-owned by Jeff Loomis, haha... Sean, our other guitar player, actually bought Jeff's black guitar that was used for the "Year Of The Voyager" DVD, so we're both using Loomis "hand-me-downs" :lol: I wanted to buy it for myself, but I let him have it!

SO, I'm confused. You are using PodFarm to track, but will then take the DI's and reamp? From your initial post about guitar tracking, I took it to mean you have a "scratch tone" now, and then will use POD farm again on the DI's to craft your final tone.

If you are using real amps, what will you be using?

SO, I'm confused. You are using PodFarm to track, but will then take the DI's and reamp? From your initial post about guitar tracking, I took it to mean you have a "scratch tone" now, and then will use POD farm again on the DI's to craft your final tone.

I think Aaron's intention is to reamp with real amplifiers in the end, but if the POD tone works, the POD tone works. He's being all logical and shit. ;)

Another blog, rhythm guitars have been underway for a while. I'm tracking DIs, using POD Farm as the amp. It makes editing and comping a breeze, since there are no printed amp tracks to mess with...just edit the DI, and immediately play back through the amped sound. I don't think I ever want to track another way...

That’s the only way I have ever done it. Just throw a guitar sim on the output and concentrate on the performance. Hey Aaron what is your chain as far as capturing your DI's? I have to say the biggest improvement to my guitar tones as of late were because of Marcus, I used to just record the DI's plugging directly into my ADL 600's instrument input, which didn’t sound bad, but after Marcus suggested running my guitar into a DI Box and then into the Mic input on the ADL its a night and day difference when it come time to re-amp.

Has anyone ever used their POD to do the DI's?

With the XT, I can have the amp sim running so I can hear the POD tones, but what is recorded is actually a DI.

I wonder if the XT's DI (running via USB) would sound as good as straight into my Profire 2626

I use my POD as a DI. I remember reading a lot of threads here where they said how sucky the POD is as a DI and such, tho.

I use the re-amping via USB options on my POD usually. I know this isn't really ideal, but whatever. Gets the job done.

I might be wrong, but I think Splatt uses his POD as a DI as well.

And Greg, it's a Schecter Elite 007. Pre-owned by Jeff Loomis, haha... Sean, our other guitar player, actually bought Jeff's black guitar that was used for the "Year Of The Voyager" DVD, so we're both using Loomis "hand-me-downs" :lol: I wanted to buy it for myself, but I let him have it!

I think I'm misreading the last part. "I let him have it?" You mean he let you have it (as in he gave you the guitar)? I thought it was that model but the Elite 007 has a single coil in the neck (yours doesn't, right)? And it definitely doesn't have EMG 707's (stock). It's a great lookin' axe!

Has anyone ever used their POD to do the DI's?

With the XT, I can have the amp sim running so I can hear the POD tones, but what is recorded is actually a DI.

I wonder if the XT's DI (running via USB) would sound as good as straight into my Profire 2626

Every time tried just dunning the PodXT's DI, it's been noisy, even through good cables...

I just use a DI box going straight into my Profire, or just straight into my profire, haven't noticed much difference...

There is only one input being recorded for guitars, which is a DI signal. POD Farm is running as an insert on each guitar track, which does not print to tape, as inserts comes from the output of a track. POD Farm is indeed just a "scratch tone", but I have no plans to use POD Farm or any kind of amp sim when crafting "real" tones for the project...I'm not sure what I said that made you think that. Also, I'm not sure which real amps will be used yet, although I've always been a 5150 fan!

That’s the only way I have ever done it. Just throw a guitar sim on the output and concentrate on the performance. Hey Aaron what is your chain as far as capturing your DI's?

Exactly, very easy for tracking, and less tracks to mess with and no "throw-away" amped tracks being recorded. My whole anlog input chain is: Radial ProDI (which is passive) > Presonus Digimax LT (via ADAT). The "thru" output on the Radial is feeding the input of the Peterson strobe, so I don't have to unplug from anything for tuning. I have a couple nicer pres than the Presonus, although I have never felt that the Presonus sounded bad, and it also seemed a little silly to me to try to get all picky with preamps when all I'm worrying about is guitar DI tracks. I'm changing strings every song, and the DI tracks are sounding very nice and smooth, just the way they should.

I think I'm misreading the last part. "I let him have it?" You mean he let you have it (as in he gave you the guitar)? I thought it was that model but the Elite 007 has a single coil in the neck (yours doesn't, right)? And it definitely doesn't have EMG 707's (stock). It's a great lookin' axe!

Haha, I meant that I let Sean buy the black guitar from Loomis, rather than buying it myself. Sean didn't even own a seven-string when he joined the band, so it worked out well when Loomis wanted to sell a guitar.
No single coil in the neck of my 007, although my first Schecter (Elite 006) was basically an identical six-string version, and that one did have a single coil there. The 007 also did not have EMGs in it. When I bought the guitar from Jeff, I had a guitar shop route the guitar a bit to fit the 707s, since you can't quite fit EMGs in there even when you take out those plastic frames that surround the stock pickups.

Exactly, very easy for tracking, and less tracks to mess with and no "throw-away" amped tracks being recorded. My whole anlog input chain is: Radial ProDI (which is passive) > Presonus Digimax LT (via ADAT). The "thru" output on the Radial is feeding the input of the Peterson strobe, so I don't have to unplug from anything for tuning. I have a couple nicer pres than the Presonus, although I have never felt that the Presonus sounded bad, and it also seemed a little silly to me to try to get all picky with preamps when all I'm worrying about is guitar DI tracks. I'm changing strings every song, and the DI tracks are sounding very nice and smooth, just the way they should.

Good idea with the thru to the tuner, that will save me some time lol.
You might want to try some of your other pres man, I couldn't tell a difference in tone tracking into my ADL with a sim on the send, but when you send it out to re-amp later......DAMN

Alright, so we're just about done with all the leads now! Finally. Tracking the album and working full jobs time causes things to be a bit slow, but we've kept up a good pace. Here's the latest video blog, uploaded today:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ydnkRGiYec&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Damn, that dude's a hell of a guitarist, both technically and melodically (great vibrato too) - meaning, far more than just another wanker, so big props! Is he the only one who solos, or do you also? (this is the first of these vids I've watched)

as far as metal goes, id say this is some of the only shit that's really hit the spot for me recently
and hell, you guys are christian metal too, props n shit for not sucking
also, aaron your beard is awesome as hell, seriously.

+1

This post expresses exactly how I felt after watching this last video.

I'm looking forward to this, Aaron :headbang:

Well I couldn't exactly glean much about the music from this last vid, but the tiny little snippets here and there were cool! ;) I'll definitely check it when you finish it though Aaron!