A change of heart...

im not going to say any opinion on the new album, but I have to say that so far everyone i know has told me its fantastic..

Now Im not saying i'm up to anything illegal, but these are people who don't touch music thats heavy. Im not on about one or 2 listeners either Im on about a good half a dozen or more who are in no way goths, some listen to dance music.. My Twin has gone down a treat, at I genuinly notice that its as catchy as any chart topping rock song out there. I see that Katatonia are going to struggle getting american tours, but I can truely say one thing that I believe, and im not just some "follower".. if I thought this band were shit at any time I would say.. and I have searched through a lot of bands always looking "in the white"

Katatonia are true stuff, it should be in the charts, "deliberation".. I mean this in a good way, there was a time when early metallica stuff (nothing else matters) hit the charts.. Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses.. Even "rusted" Paradise Lost got in the top 40 with One Second..

Whether you like the previously mentioned bands or not holds no real relevence.. they carved an area of music into the mainstream market and made rock popular, and Katatonia have progressed the heavier end of the spectrum so that it avoids the crap like Korn and Slipnot "soil song" s mish mash, and I have already heard it from the mouths of listeners that Katatonia allow the average listener to appreciate what death metal fans love but without the ear ache that follows.

Katatonia scream like a beautiful woman pushing a sword through your heart.

Does Jonas want that sort of recognition? As much as I would like Katatonia and Jonas to get the credit they deserve I feel they benefit equally from being so undiscovered.

How many times do you see great underground bands get recognition and then the albums that follow turn in to main stream piles of shit?

Also, kata has a feeling to it that you wouldnt get if you knew it was being listened to by ten million people. It's a very personal type of music that is enhanced by the fact that a small close knit group of people listen to it and truly appreciate it.

I for one would be pissed off if people listened to it cos they think its the cool thing to do (like Opeths army of new fans) without truly appreciating the reason for it's greatness.

Thats enough.

Yes I see what you mean. I don't wanna see stupid twelveyearolds wearing Katatonia shirts walking around and thinking: I'm cool, i listen to Katatonia.
but on the other hand i totally think they deserve more credit than any other band I know (with the exception of Anathema ;) )

Still, I don't think there is a market for music like this outside the hardrock/metal circuit, so I dont expect their songs to be played on the radio here in holland

There is already a big shake up of music going back to the raw rock sound, ok im not really a fan of a lot of it, but the consumer is looking elsewhere and not in the charts.. Katatonia are doing pretty well for themselves, thats because the underground is not so underground with the internet.

One thing you have to remember is not everybody loves music. Sure, alot of people like it and listen to it everyday, but not everybody needs it. Some people dont take music seriously at all. IMO, thats the reason certain bands never get worldwide recognition. If you really love music you will search for it, like, if you love depressive music or dark music you will search for bands that make these sounds. Thats how I found Katatonia and from there, a whole load of other bands.

while I hate for such a great band to have people claiming they listen to them just because it is cool, I feel like every band has many possible true new fans that only need a way to find out about that band be it thru media,word of mouth,internet. Some people, as wierd as it seems, might not check the internet every day. Some possible biggest katatonia fans might be out there and just haven't been able to find katatonia yet.

Sounds to me like we have some insecurity issues on this thread. Who cares who else listens to a band you like or how many people listen to them or for what reason they listen. If you like them and you have a special and emotional attachment to that band then listen to them. When you worry about who else listens to a band you like then you don't actually care about the music, as you claim, but instead you care about the 'image' of liking this band and the need to feel special and different. Some of you need to grow up.

tattooedsean666 said:
while I hate for such a great band to have people claiming they listen to them just because it is cool, I feel like every band has many possible true new fans that only need a way to find out about that band be it thru media,word of mouth,internet. Some people, as wierd as it seems, might not check the internet every day. Some possible biggest katatonia fans might be out there and just haven't been able to find katatonia yet.

Great point Sean......and agree totally.....I just happened upon them on a comp CD that I bought because it had ulver on it.....Murder was the song....and so it was from there that I was made a slave to all things Katatonia......

with this recognition comes people who are not cool....or at least to us they arent cool.......and I dont care.....They deserve to be able to live comfortably from the MUSIC......that is all I would want as a musician.......to not have to be a book binder....or a steelworker.......to do what I have the ultimate passion for......which in Katatonias case I believe is their music.....

bring the goth kids......shit....bring anyone.....if they can find 1% of what I have found in Katatonia they will know what it is to have a true admiration and love for a band......

Jon Snow said:
Sounds to me like we have some insecurity issues on this thread. Who cares who else listens to a band you like or how many people listen to them or for what reason they listen. If you like them and you have a special and emotional attachment to that band then listen to them. When you worry about who else listens to a band you like then you don't actually care about the music, as you claim, but instead you care about the 'image' of liking this band and the need to feel special and different. Some of you need to grow up.

What I'm woried about is others view of me.
Would people see me as one of the twelwe year olds that runs around with a kata t-shirt? (Not that I am twelve years old but you get the picture)

You feel so stupid being an In Flames fan today with al the "wannabe goths twats" running around with In Flames t-shirts.

I have no insecurity issues, just because some kids might like katatonia i think they will be respectful, after all its intelligent music, it deserves to have the success.

I love katatonia just as it is...famous or not...up the Katas!!
though, one of the things I'd like to see is a Katatonia video directed by Gondrie, Cunningham, Segismundi...of course it'd be easier with some commercial success...what about tv shows called "the Renskes", or "The Faluneal surreal life", or "killing Liljkevist??!!! haha, Katatonia seriously rocks!