A Matter of Life and Death: A sigh of relief

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
While everyone pisses and moans about how shit Metallica have become, we should be happy about Maiden. The new album is without a doubt their best in years, since 7th Son. Their sound has evolved, and it's like they discovered how to meld some of the heaviness of Piece of Mind with the progginess of 7th Son, combined with the newer, crisper sound of BNW.

"Benjamin Breeg" does not do the album justice, though I admit that it has grown on me and works in the context of the album. The opening rocker is perhaps the weakest (maybe the only real weak spot, and not a bead one, imo). This album actaully sees Maiden explore some new musical territory to great effect. This is no rehash of old material. Yes, there are some traditonal Maiden trademarks, but there are some moments that really surprised me.

Definitely worth it, folks. Wholeheartedly thumbs up. :headbang:

The current issue of Classic Rock has an interview with them, it's the "Prog" special and they're fronting "Life and Death" as Maiden's prog opus-magnum.

Bruce states in the interview that he always invisioned Maiden doing 14 studio albums and this would therefore be the penultimate.

Anyhow from what I gauged on the interview they're very pleased this this album, and were very, very interested in keeping it under wraps.

Powers said:
The current issue of Classic Rock has an interview with them, it's the "Prog" special and they're fronting "Life and Death" as Maiden's prog opus-magnum.

Bruce states in the interview that he always invisioned Maiden doing 14 studio albums and this would therefore be the penultimate.

Anyhow from what I gauged on the interview they're very pleased this this album, and were very, very interested in keeping it under wraps.

It's pretty darn good. Some reviews are touting it as Maiden's heaviest, but that's not saying much. They've never been the heaviest band in the world. If you read their biography, you see that they idolized bands like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, and most of all, Jethro Tull. That shows through at times on this album, and it's really quite nice.

I'm seeing them in a month, so I'm pretty psyched. I'm really interested to see what they'll play off this one. Lots of options for good live tracks. I'll also be interested to see what falls by the wayside from their setlist. I'm a bit done with seeing them do the same shit again and again, but the two times I saw them were on the "Give Me 'Ed Till I'm Dead" tour, in support of the 'Visions of the Beast' DVD, and on Ozzfest, in support of the "Early Days" DVD. So, they were like greatest hits shows. I'm looking forward to seeing them support an actual studio album. (Missed them on the DOD tour, as the closest they played was NYC).

Anyone remember when they claimed they'd only do festivals from now on? Perhaps Ozzfest changed their minds?

Where are the other Maiden fans here? I know there are a few.... Abhorsen, Prowlergrig... You guys MUST have AMOLAD now. Thoughts?

soundave said:
While everyone pisses and moans about how shit Metallica have become, we should be happy about Maiden. The new album is without a doubt their best in years, since 7th Son. Their sound has evolved, and it's like they discovered how to meld some of the heaviness of Piece of Mind with the progginess of 7th Son, combined with the newer, crisper sound of BNW.

"Benjamin Breeg" does not do the album justice, though I admit that it has grown on me and works in the context of the album. The opening rocker is perhaps the weakest (maybe the only real weak spot, and not a bead one, imo). This album actaully sees Maiden explore some new musical territory to great effect. This is no rehash of old material. Yes, there are some traditonal Maiden trademarks, but there are some moments that really surprised me.

Definitely worth it, folks. Wholeheartedly thumbs up. :headbang:

I totally agree, I was amazed by the content. Classic Maiden riffs, with some new textures in their sound. Their playing is stronger than ever!! Can't wait to see them live.

I love this damn album! It's my favorite album of the entire year, tbqh. Very solid + various other words that mean "good". If anyone's noticed, I have been listening to nothing but Iron Maiden since hearing this one. It's quite an accomplishment.

Boring? Nope. Maybe more pensive, though.

@Tubbs: What's your favorite Maiden album/track? Are you seeing them when they come to Boston?

Not wanting to be negative bout IM, I think Opeth can get some credit for IM raising their game...

Bruce D as a Radio 1 DJ hosting a weekly UK rock show has been playing selections from "Ghost Reveries" :kickass:

I'm sure him being impressed with this has maybe checked out some previous Opeth songs. :D

:headbang: IM :cool:

soundave said:
@Tubbs: What's your favorite Maiden album/track? Are you seeing them when they come to Boston?
I won't be seeing them, same with Opeth. (I'm very poor when it comes to tickets and transportation. In fact, I've never been to a concert.) It would surely be grand if I could go. :)

My favorite album by them so far is Fear Of The Dark. My favorite song is hard to choose... there's so many. So due to that, I list my top 10. (Not in order.)

1. Chains Of Misery
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Fugitive
4. Judas Be My Guide
5. Out Of The Silent Planet
6. Fear Of The Dark
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. For T3h Greater Good Of Gord
9. No Prayer For The Dying
10. 22 Acacia Avenue

There. :zombie:

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I won't be seeing them, same with Opeth. (I'm very poor when it comes to tickets and transportation. In fact, I've never been to a concert.) It would surely be grand if I could go. :)

My favorite album by them so far is Fear Of The Dark. My favorite song is hard to choose... there's so many. So due to that, I list my top 10. (Not in order.)

1. Chains Of Misery
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Fugitive
4. Judas Be My Guide
5. Out Of The Silent Planet
6. Fear Of The Dark
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. For T3h Greater Good Of Gord
9. No Prayer For The Dying
10. 22 Acacia Avenue

There. :zombie:

Dear Lord, Tubbs. Please tell me you don't yet own Piece of Mind... :erk: otherwise, I may need to school you some.

The new album is tasty. I am glad I was not expecting much from the album after listening to Breeg and Different World. The rest of the album exceeded my expectations and probably sounds better to me now because of that. Even Breeg isn't so bad. This is just Maiden being Maiden with some nice new touches to the classic formula. It may even be better than Brave New World, which would indeed make it Maiden's best after Seventh Son. I am happy with it.

derbeder said:
The new album is tasty. I am glad I was not expecting much from the album after listening to Breeg and Different World. The rest of the album exceeded my expectations and probably sounds better to me now because of that. Even Breeg isn't so bad. This is just Maiden being Maiden with some nice new touches to the classic formula. It may even be better than Brave New World, which would indeed make it Maiden's best after Seventh Son. I am happy with it.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I was deafening myself with The Legacy as I rocked up to work this morning.

As others here have said, I am relieved, especially after having followed them for a good 20 years now.

Up The Irons! At last!

The Legacy really is the track that sounds the freshest to me. I'm hoping they play it live, but I'm not geting my hopes up too much.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Yes, I do. I don't like it as much as their other albums. :erk:

It is better than their first two though.

Wow. Not a single track makes your top 10? Not even The Trooper? Wow...

First two have plenty of good stuff, but my fave is probably Phantom of the Opera. But there's lots of good tracks. I actually have grown to like Paul quite a bit.

very good album, but they rushed it a bit.
anyway, i've edited and mastered it, and i've come up with a version i'm satisfied with, 15minutes shorter than the official album.

definitely in the top 10 (maybe 5) albums of the year, and my 5th (or 6th, can't really decide yet) favourite maiden album.

btw, it's maiden's 14th studio album ffs, nobody can count right it seems

soundave said:
Wow. Not a single track makes your top 10? Not even The Trooper? Wow...

First two have plenty of good stuff, but my fave is probably Phantom of the Opera. But there's lots of good tracks. I actually have grown to like Paul quite a bit.
Now don't get me wrong, I actually like all of their albums. The Trooper is my favorite song on that album, if I would have made a list of 11, it would be number 11. (no joke)

Their first two albums have Remember Tommorow, Charlot The Harlot, Wrathchild, and some others that I do like.

(And I don't like Remember Tomorrow simply because Opeth covered it; it's actually a good song.)

EDIT: Holy crap! I forgot about Flight Of Icarus! That should definitely be in my top 10, and it's on Piece Of Mind.