A new instrument?

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
This is a question for Mike really. Have you considered using or adding a new instrument on the next album? Like a violin or a flute for instance? Rush added electric violin to a few songs in the 80's and I bet nobody would expect it to sound as good as it did. It just sounded so right, but only on certain songs I guess. So have you considered that?

And what do you others think? I guess it would be rude not to ask for YOUR opinions.:lol:

I'm totally against incorporating all sorts of instruments just because one may think it will somehow make a song more expressive. does not work for me.

One of the times I saw Opeth, after the gig a woman asked Mike if he was interested in adding a violinist. He thanked her and told her they were not really looking to do that.

One of the times I saw Opeth, after the gig a woman asked Mike if he was interested in adding a violinist. He thanked her and told her they were not really looking to do that.

When was that? I think it would be good for a ballad...something a'la Nightwish. Not that Opeth wanna sound like Nightwish, but it won't hurt either.;) Flute would be even better, especially considering Mike is nuts about Camel and that was their signature instrument in the early phase.

I think it'd be a better idea if Opeth maybe played a one-night-only show with a wind ensemble or something. An orchestra would be too overpowering for Opeth, so a wind ensemble would be more subtle but still awesome. It also makes sense since a lot of wind instrumentation was incorporated into Watershed.

Well according to the guy on Roundhouse Tapes DVD the saxophonist was really good, so maybe he should play on the albums too. Opeth needz moar mellotronz!

I honestly think the one thing that would make Opeth even better is more Hammond organ solos courtesy of Per. Even in Watershed, the guy just doesn't get enough time under the limelight.

Violin should never;
a - electric
b - be out of an orchestral setting while in a band.

One of the reasons i cant like sleepytime gorilla museum.

I'm into this whole thrash metal scene. so guitarguitardrumsvocalsbass ftw.