About Progressive music...

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
It's just that nowdays everyting is "prog" or "progmetal" as long as there's time signatures other than 4/4 or something... And it annoys me. I personally love these 70's progressive rock bands like Genesis, ELP, Yes, Caravan, Camel, King Crimson etc. but if I say I like progressive music, it gives kind of a wrong impression nowdays.

I personally hate genres ,especially when I need to define genres, but of course I know that they are only guidelines and stuff.

So what element/s make/s music progressive in your opinion?

50 year old guys, flutes, long guitar solos and of course mellotrons. Those four things basically sum up my entire CD collection. The only thing I want out of music is not to be bored. I get bored very easily with simple 4/4, three chord music.

I would, however, like to state for the record that I am not a progsnob only a prognerd. I have noticed, in more alarming extreme cases, that many fans of the genre are elitist jerks. Example:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/
http://www.progressiveears.com/default.asp?bhcp=1

Me. No I didn't. But seriously, the difference between "prog" and "progressive" (while at one time they were the same) is that prog is now a genre to be defined, and progressive is a band describing adjective. Prog has odd signatures, needless and elaborate solos, long instrumental breaks, disjointed rhythm, usually has a concept, and often sounds a lot like other prog bands.

Progressive simply implies that the band is doing something pioneering in their music, lyrics, concept, or synthesis. This doesn't necessarily need to be technical skill or show-offery, but I suppose you could include a few of those, if they are exceptionally notable and unique.

Progressive in other genres than metal/rock/pop/real music (like trance) means the song builds up (as it progresses) with layers upon layers of melody/instruments.

However Ken already said everything relevant :p

Me. No I didn't. But seriously, the difference between "prog" and "progressive" (while at one time they were the same) is that prog is now a genre to be defined, and progressive is a band describing adjective. Prog has odd signatures, needless and elaborate solos, long instrumental breaks, disjointed rhythm, usually has a concept, and often sounds a lot like other prog bands.

Progressive simply implies that the band is doing something pioneering in their music, lyrics, concept, or synthesis. This doesn't necessarily need to be technical skill or show-offery, but I suppose you could include a few of those, if they are exceptionally notable and unique.
I've said this a lot of times, but I got tired of arguing with people. Then I realized I don't really listen to progressive stuff that much anyway, so I don't care.

I'm off to go enjoy some verse-chorus song structures. :)

Bands that use odd time signatures aren't necessarily progressive. Heck, the Happy Birthday song is in 3/4 (which is common, but still an odd number). Some bands are straight up tech metal. Prog rock is Progressive rock - Prog may give a connotation of odd time signatures, but it really just mean Progressive. I don't see why an abbreviated word is being mistaken for something that it isn't. Progressive just means that the barriers of verse/pre-chorus/chorus are shattered and anything goes. It also means that the song progresses into many parts, dontcha know.

3/4 isn't odd. Well it's an odd number, but I meant 7/4, 16/19, and bullshit like that. It's great when it's called for. When it's done just for its own sake, it's bullshit :D

So songs progress into many parts eh? Does that make, Green Day progressive?

yeah, their's nothing wrong with simple music. as long as there is also complicated music for those of us who need something meaty to get into. i listen to some very simple music, but when i need to sit and listen, it's gotta keep me interested. simple music is good for a happy summer day, complicated stuff is useful for long winter nights. i need both in my life, for different days of the year.

If someone composes african dance metal with polka influences I would call it progressive. Probably wouldn't listen it though.

yeah, their's nothing wrong with simple music. as long as there is also complicated music for those of us who need something meaty to get into. i listen to some very simple music, but when i need to sit and listen, it's gotta keep me interested. simple music is good for a happy summer day, complicated stuff is useful for long winter nights. i need both in my life, for different days of the year.

:lol: as much as i love my centaur, this just made me laugh and shake my head.

I really don't want a huge debate, but i think saying there's "simple music" and "complicated music" is just degrading in a way. I mean, look at maiden. Simple music? eh... I mean, i understand the point you're making but it's so damned pretentious to put it in such terms. Oh well, you're in good company here :lol:

i agree with him about the seasons thing. in the way that, i dont really listen to much ramones in the winter, but i dont listen to much, lets say wintersun in the summer, although i probably do, just not in the same amounts