About Progressive music...

@ Ascension: Id would be regressive, I personally love all Dt's albums, and like the change they've made, its what makes a band progressive....I was just quoting in my own words, what alot of people think of DT "when are they going to go back to I&W?" Kinda attitude. Which I personally think is non sense, t'was a great album. but they have others that are great as well! I personally love the groovyness of ToT!

@ Horus: Awesome post dude! Keep it real \m/

Gotcha proul...we're on the same track. l'm with you on ToT...l've seen peeps rip that album & l've gone back and gave it another listen. There's some damn good material on it. Now...FIIF one the other hand...meh...l'm not high on that one at all. But l've seen others praise it, so...

Prog is a higher class of music, end of story... oh, and I'm awesome.

On a serious note, I am really starting to hate the prog bashing on here. Making fun of musicians who want to master their instruments in every way possible, and really challenge themselves composition-wise and ability-wise just seems low. If you don't like the music, that's fine, but bashing it is just ridiculous. A lot of prog musicians can write/play the simpler stuff you hear, but they can also do their prog stuff... this hardly ever works the other way around. Show some respect.

P.S. Iron Maiden are extremely basic, which is why they're boring. You hear one of their songs, you've heard them all. Next.

I mean, look at AC/DC, a band that has stuck to a formula and had tons of success, not to mention their quality never went up or down too much.

I disagree. AC-DC haven't done anything (imo) worth a fuck since FTAtR..
Modern day AC-DC is a far cry from the Bon Scott era stuff, That magic will never be tapped again. Not fighting, not trying to be a dick, but I couldn't let this one slip by, Zach......

Interesting... you go about saying that prog musicians deserve respect and in the same breath bash Iron Maiden, very possibly one of the top 3 most influential metal acts on earth? Fuckin' hypocrite.

Oh, no, I definitely respect Iron Maiden for what they've done, and they're actually one of the first bands to get me into metal. Earlier, you said something about Iron Maiden in relation to being basic, and I was saying that because of the fact that they're basic, I do not like listening to them anymore. I wasn't really trying to bash Iron Maiden, I was just stating why I dislike their music.

I love pretentious prog fans. :lol:

As a general rule: emotion > clinical wank.

Wankery is a form of music as well. If somebody wants to be complex for the sake of it, then so be it.

The same type of rules could apply the other way around. "Wow, that band really sucks because they keep trying to be emotional for the sake of it. Why don't you stop attempting to express yourself and shred?"

I actually am not one for endless wankery, btw. I do like tasteful playing with emotion. I'm just going along with the debate.

@ Ascension: Yeh FIIF didn't do it for me in the least, and I agree, alot of hardcore DT fans bash ToT!

@ Zach: Yeh dude, I think you misinterpreted Gentlemen's statement! There is always a differince between opinion, and bashing. You can say something like "IMO its borring, and I'm not a fan of their stuff, but that doesn't mean they're beastly musicians, or I have respect for them because they pionered something!" Which is a matter of opinion and taste. Than bashing would be like "Fuck that band, their garbage I hate them, they've done nothing for us blah blah!" Someone who is bashing a band usually goes on an endless rant about how cruddy they are! There is always the occasion where the band truely does suck in every way and has done nothing for anyone in the musical society! But I assure you this was not the case for Gentlemen, a) he did not rant or bash them! and b) if Iron maiden truely was horrible, he would have layed it out for you in much more detail :)

Carry-on!

I think people these days try too hard to be progressive. Bands like Pain of Salvation have been labeled as progressive, but I really don't think they tried to be. And as a result they portray the message of the songs well, without worrying whether or not they are technical enough etc.

I asked a friend of mine what genre he was aiming for in his band. He said the band was experimental. Then I asked what they are experimenting with, and he didn't seem to know.

I've also seen a band live that were labeled as progressive, however they sounded the same as metallica. In that case I think they thought they were progressive because the songs were new.

There is so much bullshit labeling these days. If I was in a band I would play what is natural for me, and I would label it as music. That of course doesn't mean that I wouldn't experiment with progressive elements, but rather that it's not an important realisation.

The problem with metal, is its the only GENRE with a million sub genres!

Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Heavy Metal
Latin Metal
Folk Metal
Symphonic Metal
Melodic Metal
Progressive Metal
Power Metal
Speed Metal
Industrial Metal
Instrumental Metal
Dark Metal
Goth Metal
Doom Metal
Experemental Metal
Nu-Metal
Viking Metal
Thrash Metal
Grunge Metal

...the list goes on and on

Any genre can be broken down the way metal has. It's simply that 90% of metalheads are snobs with an innate desire to try their absolute hardest to be different/cooler/more in-the-know than their fellow metalheads and will actually go and create new labels to make themselves seem less mainstream. They're also probably the only demographic that will argue and bitch so much about categorizations. That's not to say that differences don't exist, but to take it as far as a lot of metal guys have...let's get serious here:rolleyes:

The problem with metal, is its the only GENRE with a million sub genres!

Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Heavy Metal
Latin Metal
Folk Metal
Symphonic Metal
Melodic Metal
Progressive Metal
Power Metal
Speed Metal
Industrial Metal
Instrumental Metal
Dark Metal
Goth Metal
Doom Metal
Experemental Metal
Nu-Metal
Viking Metal
Thrash Metal
Grunge Metal

...the list goes on and on

Neo-classical, grindcore... uhhh... groove metal?

The thing about metal is that it is a sub-genre on its own.

Any genre can be broken down the way metal has. It's simply that 90% of metalheads are snobs with an innate desire to try their absolute hardest to be different/cooler/more in-the-know than their fellow metalheads and will actually go and create new labels to make themselves seem less mainstream. They're also probably the only demographic that will argue and bitch so much about categorizations. That's not to say that differences don't exist, but to take it as far as a lot of metal guys have...let's get serious here:rolleyes:

:lol: you've just described me dude!!!!

Gentleman: Apologies if I jumped to conclusions, though your post did make it pretty easy :lol: And i completely disagree with you on maiden songs sounding the same, but whatever. That's the beauty of music and differing tastes.

Man.... what happened to the days of me being a jackass? Long gone :cry:

Sitting here thinking about this whole thread, it's kind of a strange thing... it's almost been established that anything that is definable as progressive is no longer progressive... my head hurts. I'm sick. I wanna go to bed :(

Can someone call the waaaaaaaaaahmbulance for me?