About Progressive music...

I think people these days try too hard to be progressive. Bands like Pain of Salvation have been labeled as progressive, but I really don't think they tried to be. And as a result they portray the message of the songs well, without worrying whether or not they are technical enough etc.

Dear God, I think I'm going to fucking HURL! :puke:
IMO, PoS tries to be overly progressive just for the sake of trying to be progressive. The cut/paste song writing isn't intentional? Fucking Rainman couldn't write more disjointed pieces of music! :heh: Bah! & Feh!

@ Eternal: You just stepped on uncharted territory man, if J-Dub gets a hold of you...its over man!

Although I agree with you, and PoS has amazing musicianship to boot!

Great players+asshole bandleader+bad songwriting=instant fail
Are they even a band anymore? A guy from the FK forum is actually their new drummer, and he knows I wish him the best, but someone PLEASE help Goldenblow get his head out of his ass. All STRICTLY MHFO
:saint:

Wankery is a form of music as well. If somebody wants to be complex for the sake of it, then so be it.

The same type of rules could apply the other way around. "Wow, that band really sucks because they keep trying to be emotional for the sake of it. Why don't you stop attempting to express yourself and shred?"

I actually am not one for endless wankery, btw. I do like tasteful playing with emotion. I'm just going along with the debate.

I don't mind technicality but it shouldn't be there just for the sake of it, as seems to be the case with a lot of prog bands around right now. If it fits the flow of the song/music/whatever fine, but don't go overboard with it. :loco:

I personally think that if they'd left out the middle section of The Dark Eternal Night and Ministry of Lost Souls, then maybe Systematic Chaos could have compared [to the songwriting on Images & Words]. But that's just me.

I agree completely. That whole "drunken Calypso" part in Dark Eternal Night completely took the flavor away from the song (about a hideous Egyptian monster) by adding pointless wank for the sake of wank. The Ministry of Lost Souls is a great song, but that middle section kills the emotional aspect of the lyrical theme. However, unlike the middle of Dark Eternal Night, I do think this middle instrumental section had potential - just not in this song.

I still think that Forsaken is the best-written song Dream Theater has wrote in years.

PoS is a lot less "prog-dis-joint-ed" than some bands that just doodly doodly STOP. diddly STOP. dooodly deebly dwadly STOP di- STOP doodly STOP. and call it a melody.

/cough Dance Of Eternity, etc./cough

When a band can compose songs that are not like intro-verse-chorus-verse-solo-chorus-outro...
When a band has no predefined song structures...
When a band's songs don't sound the same all the time...
When a band is being original...

I call their music progressive.

:lol:

we all know what progressive is and its darn hard to pinpoint an exact definition too. Its always had a broad range of sounds. Compare Pink Floyd to ELP to Rush..... few similarities....... all progressive, no different today. With metal many of the musicians like to go on little adventures in the songs, so they are using progressive elements. Its all about the trip man, ride it and enjoy.

:headbang:

why does everyone here hat PoS? Dan Gildenlow is one of the best voices in metel! is just because you can't hear a song without hours of shred?

I've only heard BE and totally loved it, music & theme. That's the first PoS album I'm going to buy some day. Until then, I keep watching Youtube-videos.

Okay, so I listened to The Perfect Element for the first time in a long time, and I actually do like it. *prepares for ban from J-Dub?* Specifically the song "Used". It's so unusual, but so solid and well put together at the same time. Yeah. *prepares for permanant band from J-Dub :p*

PoS bores the hell out of me. I have been going back to TPE and BE for years now and nothing has stood out. Daniel does have a good voice though.