Absolutely 100% PERFECT albums...

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
... NO bad songs, no production issues, no moments where I think "If they'd just done THIS...", no problems with the vocals at all... Albums that are just... perfect.

I can only think of four. There are others that I think are perfect while I'm listening, but somehow it always comes back to just these albums when I wonder about the subject and not listening to any music...

Arch Enemy- Black Earth
The CRUSH combined with the skilled guitar playing (the clean guitar break in Cosmic Retribution and the most perfect album ending ever [until they fucked it up by reissuing with bonus tracks... they should have gone in the middle, not the end of the album!])... oh my. Arch Enemy hasn't done anything close to this since...

Gamma Ray- Land of the Free
The perfect power metal album, burying the Keeper albums and making any Helloclone afterwards completely unnecessary noise pollution. Kai's vocals even sound good. I was considering Iron Savior's debut but the Break it Up song is a miss for me...

Nightingale- The Closing Chronicles
This is like an album that the world missed. When it came out in 96, here's Dan Swanö, death metal king (came out same year as Crimson) on a metal label, and this album wasn't very well promoted at all. A shame. The album's airtight, very dark (except Steal the Moon, which is still basically a 'thank you' song from an otherworldy possessor to his victim), one of the more wicked concepts I've ever come across, it's just an ohmigod... Listening to this back to back with Alive Again... this sounds tons more natural, where Alive Again sounds a lot more like musicians making music, if that makes sense... and guess which feeling I like better? I still can't comprehend the reality that I've seen most of this album performed live.

Opeth- Morningrise
This album wasn't made, it was captured from the essence of the cosmos somewhere... Some negatively compare this album's production to the newer productions the band's gotten, but I strongly disagree... the newer albums are just METAL productions, this one was just music that happens to be metal... the best of the best.

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
Opeth- Morningrise
This album wasn't made, it was captured from the essence of the cosmos somewhere... Some negatively compare this album's production to the newer productions the band's gotten, but I strongly disagree... the newer albums are just METAL productions, this one was just music that happens to be metal... the best of the best.

To me, that album is all but perfect. I just feel that 2/3 of the album is pretty average compare to latter Opeth's records.

Anyway, all that matters is that it's perfect to you.

Originally posted by NAD
but I stand by my choices for perfect albums. :D

EDIT: I currently obsess over 600+ CDs. 20 or so perfect CDs is not that much in comparison to the non-perfect.

I have 1300 CDs, and four perfect CDs is all I can come up with.

I'm separating 'perfect' from 'I like.' There are tons of CDs that are flawed in some ways that I love more than the Arch Enemy and especially the Gamma Ray, but I'd never call them perfect.

Well my list:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth. Every time I listen to this album is as if I travel to the Middle Earth.
Opeth - Morningrise. Well Jim said it all.
Iron Maiden - 7th Son of a 7th Son. Best Maiden album ever, no fillers and yes I like the keyboards.
Megadeth - Rust in Peace. Mustaine - Friedman guitar playing is just impressive. Holy Wars!!!!
Death - Symbolyc. Well I had to choose one from Death.

Santi.

Originally posted by erekose
Well my list:
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth. Every time I listen to this album is as if I travel to the Middle Earth.

I LOVE this album, but... the narration, while well done, makes me hit the skip button, so that disqualifies it from being perfect. And the production isn't all that clear...

Originally posted by erekose
Death - Symbolyc. Well I had to choose one from Death.

I think some of the songs drag a bit... If Human had Symbolic's production, then I could name a Death album on my list!

I've only heard one album that I could call perfect all around, and that's V from Symphony X.

picking up an opeth album, i would say still life and mayh.

porcupine tree made also some incredible albums: in my opinion, up the downstair, the sky moves sideways, signify... and also lightbulb sun, yes, that's another incredible album.

perfect albums ehh...well id say for me
1. downward is heavenward - Hum (people please by this)
2. tool - aenima
3. opeth - still life (not even my favorite by them, which is slightly ironic)
4. tool - lateralus
5. jeff buckley - Grace
6. 311 - grassroots