Adam D micing tips

Yeah I'm diggin the 2" myself. Seems to be a good balance for that setup at least.

Also like 2", my sample was also recorded aproximately at this distance.
But in my case difference between close to grile position and 2" is much worse than in greyskull samples.
Thanks for the clips.

hahaha i'm down

But I have to say that i'm not a fan of many of Adam D's guitar tones that i've heard...especially the MCMB cd he mixed/reamped. Too fizzy and not enough tight low end for the palm mutes/chugs

yeah i didn't like it either, but it would be fun though haha

Would you be kind enough to share what snare sample you used? (either literally by sharing or just informing us of which paid-for sample it is :D) And the kick is fantastic too!

Sorry been busy with stuff...

It's Superior 2.0 Rogers Wood 14" snare mostly. Slate snare 11z4 mixed at 11% in drumagog. I used a parallel bus for snare which helped to crush the two samples together a bit and give it a better spread across the mix. Kick is good ole 10z1 hipassed at 51hz.

Thanks for making these DI's available.
In response to this, I appreciate having these files to compare what I can get from them vs. what everyone else gets from them. "Holy Diver" isn't a challenging song to play by any means but there are several variables removed (DI, guitar, pickups, player...) which enable us to focus on comparing techniques in a more controlled environment. Thanks for taking the time and challenging/enabling myself to try something (I would have never tried) and adding an additional way to get great guitar sounds. This forum IS still good, sometimes you have to sift through the bullshit but isn't that typically the case with anything on the internet? Thanks for all of the fruitful years and hopefully more to come ladies!

Hey, my pleasure, I really don't feel one way or another on the whole "this forum is changing" argument, and am always happy to help! :)

Oh, and of course, thanks for the drum info! :wave:

Sorry been busy with stuff...

It's Superior 2.0 Rogers Wood 14" snare mostly. Slate snare 11z4 mixed at 11% in drumagog. I used a parallel bus for snare which helped to crush the two samples together a bit and give it a better spread across the mix. Kick is good ole 10z1 hipassed at 51hz.

Thanks for making these DI's available.
In response to this, I appreciate having these files to compare what I can get from them vs. what everyone else gets from them. "Holy Diver" isn't a challenging song to play by any means but there are several variables removed (DI, guitar, pickups, player...) which enable us to focus on comparing techniques in a more controlled environment. Thanks for taking the time and challenging/enabling myself to try something (I would have never tried) and adding an additional way to get great guitar sounds. This forum IS still good, sometimes you have to sift through the bullshit but isn't that typically the case with anything on the internet? Thanks for all of the fruitful years and hopefully more to come ladies!

Thanks for the info Rob! Slammin' tones dude!:headbang:

Quoted even!!! LMAO!!!

FWIW, this thread has been gold. I've been backing my mics off the amp for the last few months & this suggests taking things further. I did a 2 inch "on/off axis" test with my 5150/ENGL setup yesterday & it turned out to be the best tone I've ever got.

It had to be done man!

And yeah, this topic gets my vote for topic of the month haha.
The best tones I ever got when I used to mic shit were done like 3 inches away from the grille. The framus is an overly fizzy cab, combined with my fiddy juan mkII that shit was piercing right up against the grille, so an inch back sounded like it was on the grille with any other cab, so 3 inches back would be the equivalent of 2 inches back I'd reckon, so I was right on the money a year back and I didn't even know.

Quoted even!!! LMAO!!!

FWIW, this thread has been gold. I've been backing my mics off the amp for the last few months & this suggests taking things further. I did a 2 inch "on/off axis" test with my 5150/ENGL setup yesterday & it turned out to be the best tone I've ever got.

Same here.. I allways have about 2 thumbs worth of space between the mic and the grill.
Also helps phase when you have a Sm7 on the cab :)

It's funny, the first time I ever mic'ed an amp the mic was stupidly far from the cab, yet for some reason I never opted to recreate that situation. I think partly because it was a small isobooth and all the reflections from the walls were causing some insane phase cancellations. Having said that, it did give me the most natural raw tone, most representative of the amp in the room that I ever got.

@Oz: When you say on/off axis, are you referring to the Fredman method, or just 2 mics in different configurations on different speakers etc.?

It had to be done man!

And yeah, this topic gets my vote for topic of the month haha.
The best tones I ever got when I used to mic shit were done like 3 inches away from the grille. The framus is an overly fizzy cab, combined with my fiddy juan mkII that shit was piercing right up against the grille, so an inch back sounded like it was on the grille with any other cab, so 3 inches back would be the equivalent of 2 inches back I'd reckon, so I was right on the money a year back and I didn't even know.

Given I have the same cab with a JSX, I really should give this a go.