Adam D micing tips

I just did some reamping a couple days ago, and because of this thread I backed away with the mic more than usual. I actually ended up with it about 8" from where the grill would be, and the tone sounds great! Honestly I never reamp with a grilled cab anyway, so I rarely consciously think about where exactly the grill would be, but 8" is definitely further back than I normally settle on.

is it just me or does it sound funny that when I suggest to pull the mic further away, I get "Its wrong, blasphemy" -treatment, but when Adam D says the same, then it's pretty much the word of god?
In fairness if you would have tried it and posted samples it may have been met with less skepticism (I don't know, I didn't post in that thread). That would've made it a discussion of results rather than philosophy. I think the difference with Adam D (aside from the fame factor) is that everyone heard his guitars first and learned his technique second.

Back OT, this has been a really great thread and enlightening. I've often thrown up a couple of mics but I've never done a placement test as involved as what greyskull posted.

Nice thread! and nice sound!

I remember the first time I recorded a 5150 + Mesa Recto Cab with a 57 on axis pretty far from the grill and a small diaphragm condenser capturing the 4 speakers...the 57 was very smooth without all the shit from the high frequencies of the V30 Speaker...very nice sound...

It wil be a good idea try the "traditional" 57 on axis mixed with a 57, 6" far from the grill, but maybe the phase will be our enemy...

Cheers

super late to the game, but thanks for posting those clips greyskull and op, this is really something to chew on, 2-4 inches seem worthy of my consideration.

Came here to say that before I recorded my latest batch of Nebula programs, someone requested I do some 6-inch-back programs. I obliged. They can be found in my Nebula thread in my signature. The new stuff is called Mount Crushmore. So, yay.

click to listen

I programmed and tweaked the drums first. Tried to get the same pop out of the snare. Then I threw the DI's through my Randall RM100 into a Maxon OD808. The module in the Randall was the Treadplate module. Maxon was set at noon for every knob cept the tone knob and that was 12:30-1:00ish. Cab was a Mesa 2X12 with a SM57 pointed half on, half off of the cone 6 inches away from where the grill normally is (I keep the grill off, the mesa logo is attached to a bit of wood that hangs out over the speaker and I realized it was finding its way into the recorded sound). I used absolutely nothing on the guitars, no lopass, hipass, multiband compressor, or post eq. The tone might be a little bright but I was dicking with the presence knob a bit before I read the thread and forgot to put it back where I normally have it. Overall, one of the better "naked" tones I've gotten thus far.

I like the tone I got, just proves there are multiple ways to skin a cat. Your thoughts?

Hey Rob, which reamp box are you using mate? Cause I´ll need to buy two of them and don´t know exactly which one....thanks
Cool tune man!