Admit to Music You Like (aren't supposed to)

Enya (her music is very relaxing) and Clannad
Sonic Syndicate (I like the vox, what can I say?)
Kenny Loggins (he's just a really good songwriter)
Will Ackerman, Michael hedges, Tim Story, Alex DeGrassi, George Wisnton, among other Windham Hill srtists (Will Ackerman is one of my all-time favorite musicians)
TONS of classical music (Debussy, Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Vaughn Williams, Delius, Hovhahness, Rautavaara)

I only have Clannad's Crann Ùll which is pretty great. The softest, most gentle piece of music I've ever heard.
I never managed to get into Michael Hedges. People say he's great but I find him uninteresting.
My wife has some George Winston records and they're also pretty nice. I just listened to "Summer" the other day. However, "Autumn" is the best one.
Although I like some pieces of classical music, I just can't really get into it. I don't know why. Maybe the historical and musical context is missing. But most definitely there is nothing to be ashamed about.

At the side of all the "true metal" I listen to Dragonforce, System of a down, Nintendo music, Megaman music, Kivimetsän druidi, Timo Tolkki's solo projects...

I quess that's it, not forgetting classical music.

Edit: though I hate shit music, I prefer Eminem over AC/DC.

you should be ashamed of yourself if you don't like classical music

No one actually needs to be ashamed for whatever music he or she likes or does not like. Although, we sometimes do.

Nevertheless, saying that I don't like classical music is not correct. As a whole, I neither can put it in the "like" nor in the "don't like" category. I'm a classically trained (amateur) guitarist. I've played a bunch of classical stuff in my life. I've actually composed stuff on the guitar that some people would call classical although I didn't mean it to be. And there is a bunch of great classical stuff like eg. Mozarts symphony in G-minor (Nr. 40 i think), Beethoven's 5th, Edvard Grieg's Per Gynt Suites, lots of Guitar works by Ferdinand Sor, lute stuff by John Dowland, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, ... It's just that I don't find myself listening to classical music very much.

No one actually needs to be ashamed for whatever music he or she likes or does not like. Although, we sometimes do.

Nevertheless, saying that I don't like classical music is not correct. As a whole, I neither can put it in the "like" nor in the "don't like" category. I'm a classically trained (amateur) guitarist. I've played a bunch of classical stuff in my life. I've actually composed stuff on the guitar that some people would call classical although I didn't mean it to be. And there is a bunch of great classical stuff like eg. Mozarts symphony in G-minor (Nr. 40 i think), Beethoven's 5th, Edvard Grieg's Per Gynt Suites, lots of Guitar works by Ferdinand Sor, lute stuff by John Dowland, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, ... It's just that I don't find myself listening to classical music very much.

lol I wasn't talking about you specifically. and yes, people do need to be ashamed of liking stuff that blows or hating stuff that owns, because shame is a step in the direction of self-disgust, which is a chief psychological motivator for change

you should be ashamed of yourself if you don't like classical music

shit post
some people just don't like it. just like some people just don't like metal, or rock, or hip-hop, or trip-hop, or ambient.
who are you, the music police? "you should be ashamed of yourself"? lmao

:erk:

lol thanks for your illustrative explanation. I really had no idea that "some people just don't like it." this brand new, novel, original, unseen, groundbreaking, and unprecedented insight has really opened my eyes. you must be a published author or a logician

shit post
some people just don't like it. just like some people just don't like metal, or rock, or hip-hop, or trip-hop, or ambient.
who are you, the music police? "you should be ashamed of yourself"? lmao

:erk:

the reason some (or most) people don't like hip-hop, "trip-hop" (lol whatever that is), and ambient is because they are intelligent enough to know better, those genres are 100% nonsense

as for metal, it's pretty dorky as well, i can see why most people are revolted by it, i only personally like about 10 or so metal albums

and i've literally never met anybody who doesn't like rock music as a general rule, everybody likes at least some of it

and finally, the reason most people don't listen to classical is because it requires some reasonable amount of effort to get into the historical context and whatnot, and most people would rather just groove out to something simple and catchy. but make no mistake, this means that they are complete idiots

I cleansed my iPod a couple of weeks ago of all the stuff I had sorta grown out of so it seems to be in pretty good shape now, but I still have some Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Muse, and Chevelle on there. Chevelle is meh for the most part I think but some of their older songs probably got me on the road to metal before I even liked Tool and Metallica and stuff. The other ones just have some catchy songs.

And :erk: to the guy that mentioned Michael Hedges..he's maybe not as technically skilled as newer classical players but, like with rock and metal, that's just the genre getting more advanced with time. And he's so damn atmospheric. Well...anyway he's my favorite acoustic artist along with Nick Drake (and does Mike count? :))

And :erk: to the guy that mentioned Michael Hedges..he's maybe not as technically skilled as newer classical players but, like with rock and metal, that's just the genre getting more advanced with time. And he's so damn atmospheric. Well...anyway he's my favorite acoustic artist along with Nick Drake (and does Mike count? :))

With Hedges, it's not so much the technicality of his playing, but more the EMOTION and heart that he played with. I don't think anybody enjoyed playing guitar more than Michael Hedges, and it showed in his playing, especially in his live performances. Afaic, he is a legend. :worship: