Agalloch. . .

Jack Damien

The Voice of the Fog
Apr 20, 2003
Hartwell, Ga
Hello, I've heard a few Agalloch songs (3) and I wanted to know if they live up to the hype that surrounds them with "The Mantle" the one song I heard (The Great Cold Death of the Earth) sounded very good to me. So if you would just give me your thoughts on it I'd be very thankful, and also why don't they have a site or a forum of some kind?

Best "doom" albom of the last years...absolutely amazing work...i doubt anyone will do anything that good on such art of music. Also worth checking is "Moudlin of The Well" although their music is much more"psycho" :)

Agalloch is definitely one of the most amazing bands I've ever heard

The Mantle and Pale Folklore just blow me away every time

They remind me so much of the acoustic early days of Opeth but they have a sound all to themselves. With a bigger budget in the studio I think it could have been much much better. Without a doubt one of the best albums I've ever bought because I am indeed a fan of DOOM and the whole folk vibe. Any word on a future album from them?? And that is weird that they have nothing related to them on the entire net.

Agalloch 'The Mantle': A brilliant album of a promising band with 'And The Great Cold Death...' as the best song, the top of the top...

I'll chime in and agree that Agalloch is brilliant. Not much else I can say, except this: buy all of their albums, you won't regret it.

Thanks for the advice I'll order it today sometime, I'm kinda pissed that The End doesn't have Morningrise in stock, I guess I'll just order Blackwater Park. (Their both just as good as the other, really.) But, thanks again. See-ya.

The Mantle took me some time to really appreciate but if you don't like it at first it'll probably grow on you over time, just amazing stuff. I loved Pale Folklore from the first time I listened to it and right now I have a hard time deciding which album is better.

Morfiend said:
The Mantle took me some time to really appreciate but if you don't like it at first it'll probably grow on you over time, just amazing stuff. I loved Pale Folklore from the first time I listened to it and right now I have a hard time deciding which album is better.
I got The Mantle a few months back and I have to admit that it just doesn't do much for me. I've tried to get into it and I just find it kind of boring. I'm sure they're talented, but like I said it just isn't for me unfortunately. Too bad though, I was expecting to love it from the descriptions people gave!

it's mood music, its emotional....and it has to affect you in ways beyond just "oh that riff is cool" for you to "get" it. i'm sure Agalloch isn't for everyone, but it's one of those things that I find it worth putting effort into really feeling the music they create, what images it brings up, the emotions, it just hits on so many different levels. I also find it to be com personal, like I can't get into it with other people around to any comparable extent to when i'm alone. It just requires a lot more then a casual listen. Not that they are very similar but I often compared it to Emperor's Prometheus, in that while it struck me as good the first time I heard it I really didn't comprehend the extent to how amazing the music was until I had given it several listens.

And for those that havn't heard it, if you can get past The Mantle then definitly listen to Pale Folklore. I find the emotion to be even more raw (such as the 3rd track). Of Stone Wind And Pillor is great too, A Poem By Yeats, besides being an amazing poem in itself, is a really reflective track that fits perfectly. And Kneel to The Cross is just wonderfully blasphemous in an understated fashion that should make any corpse paint wearing black metal band bow down.

"In The Shadow of our Pale Companion" is simply put, one of the most amazing and truthful songs I've ever heard

there is a reason why people have the famous line in the sig