Albums currently displeasing your ass

i doubt that, he was just replying to cythrauls retarded comment.

I see.

Overkill and Death Angel are fucking horrible.

I have to disagree about Death Angel, if only because I was there when The Ultraviolence came out and it totally blew me away. I like some of the rest of their stuff, but I would not argue for them based on any of that.

Overkill is just weird for me. I never want to listen to their albums, but when I do I am sometimes somewhat unexpectedly pleased with some of what I hear. But it never makes me actually like them, because next time it comes up I still never want to listen to them.

i doubt that, he was just replying to cythrauls retarded comment.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. Do thrash bands really aim very high? It seems to me like the essence of thrash metal is basically neanderthalic riffs for fat guys in patch vests. The only dumber subgenre of extreme metal is probably war metal. Thrash was a phase that the underground had to get over in order to get to the stuff that's actually musically interesting.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. Do thrash bands really aim very high? It seems to me like the essence of thrash metal is basically neanderthalic riffs for fat guys in patch vests. The only dumber subgenre of extreme metal is probably war metal. Thrash was a phase that the underground had to get over in order to get to the stuff that's actually musically interesting.

I agree but only to a certain extent. Thrash has become pretty mundane these days, I think that's kind of undeniable but there are exceptions of course. The style can be a great foundation for other genres to be mixed with it. Vektor being a prime example.

Certain thrash bands aim incredibly high. Coroner, Ares Kingdom (fat guys in patch vests included), early Flotsam & Jetsam come to mind easily.

Thrash is still fantastic with certain bands coming out with some of the most intelligence lyrics around, completely focusing on content that isn't some reworking of the Necromonicon or an encyclopedic rundown of Babylonian mythology and demons.

The same criticisms you're pinning against thrash could be put against your average Incantation-worship death metal band or your average black metal band. There's nothing overly innovative or spectacular about the majority of the bands within either of those two genres. Guys in vests? Interchange with heroin-diet chic looking dude for the black metal category and we're comparing apples with apples.

Certain thrash bands aim incredibly high. Coroner, Ares Kingdom (fat guys in patch vests included), early Flotsam & Jetsam come to mind easily.

I like Coroner.

The same criticisms you're pinning against thrash could be put against your average Incantation-worship death metal band or your average black metal band. There's nothing overly innovative or spectacular about the majority of the bands within either of those two genres. Guys in vests? Interchange with heroin-diet chic looking dude for the black metal category and we're comparing apples with apples.

Fair enough. I'm pretty much trolling for the most part. I don't generally think of things in terms of entire genres tbh. I guess there are just more black and death metal bands that I find more interesting than thrash generally. Usually I only get really into proggier or more experimental thrash bands.

I recognize your point and the validity of what you're saying. I think there's a dearth of originality in metal overall. I can appreciate bands that pay homage to the aesthetics and concepts of 20 years ago; retro-bands that practice their craft well can make albums better than the the classics IMHO. However, I concur with you in that thrash metal bands, for the most part, aren't really doing anything new or pushing the envelope.

Pestilence-Doctrine-e1299105068398.jpg

So fucking bad, even worse then the new Morbid Angel.

bdm_ritual.jpg

Garbage. New Job for a Cowboy EP is way better then these tools.

Do you like Hammerheart? By Honour is a great re-imagining of that album, imo. It's basically Hammerheart, except there's less of a need for the music to move forward by constantly jumping into new sections. I like how every song on By Honour can rest in a single mood for a very long time.

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

My cousin's favorite band I constantly hear this in his truck.

"Burn It Down" is the whiniest, pussy song I've ever heard.