Albums that were good but you couldn't get into?

korruption

Amateur Dentist
May 13, 2002
Canada
This one's hard for me to put into words really. The prime example off the top of my head is Pagan's Mind - enigmatic : calling

I recognize the album is considered their 'masterpiece', and I've listened to it several times; but just felt a little overwhelmed by the weight of the songs and their abstract melodies. I don't hate it at all, but I find it to be a little too "busy" I guess. Like I said, it's difficult to explain.

Anyone else had this odd experience?

P.S. Stratovarius - Episode is second on the list.

"Tim RIPPER Owens : Play My Game" would have to be on the top of my list. I can't really put my finger on it, but this album has never really blown me away like it did with a bunch of the other Ripper fans. It's a good collection of songs, but man, I'm more then ready for Beyond Fear to kick off again!

"Blood Bound : Tabula Rasa" is another one that actually ended up in this catagory. I really enjoyed the disc at first, but for some reason it ended up losing it's luster really quickly for me. It's a good album for sure, but I dig "Nosferatu" quite a bit more.

This one's hard for me to put into words really. The prime example off the top of my head is Pagan's Mind - enigmatic : calling
Actually, you're the first person I've heard suggest that. Celestial Entrance is considered by most their #1 disc. While Enigmatic: Calling is solid, I wouldn't put it on the same level as Celestial Entrance or God's Equation.

Anyone else had this odd experience?
With regard to the original question, I've had a similar experience. There are certain CDs that are considered brilliant (by people whose musical opinions I respect) which I simply don't get. Examples would be:

Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
Negură Bunget - 'N crugu bradului

Zod

Yeah God's Equation was the true masterpiece from Pagan's Mind. Songs like the title track, and Osiris' Triumphant Return are too epic for words. :D

Yeah God's Equation was the true masterpiece from Pagan's Mind. Songs like the title track, and Osiris' Triumphant Return are too epic for words. :D

Totally agree!:kickass:
...can't stop listening to this CD..."Osiris..." is truly one of the finest tunes i've ever heard!
Good news...PM has just finished and soon to release-thier first live DVD. Also new CD planned for summer '10 release. :headbang:

I'm anticipating and sensing Pyramaze and Pagans Mind new releases...possibly around the same time:err:. HOLY SHITFUCK how good would that be?

The "Sons Of Seasons" album...although it is a good progalbum. But there is not one song that really "stuck" in my head.

Mercy Falls... Yup, I said it. It's a very long listen and I still have no idea what's (officially) going on story-wise. Tommy's still the man though. :D

This is a tough call.

good but can't get into...
Maidens-A Matter Of Life And Death.

Primal Fear-16.6 (btdkyd)

Almah-Fragile Equality.

Hibria-The Skull Collectors. Great band and good stuff..but TSC didin't grab me like thier debut-Defying The Rules.

Well, that's a real good topic I have to admit! There are quite a few albums I could not get into, let's see what comes to my mind now:

• Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man: The glorious return of Matt Barlow with Iced Earth... well, not for me, after extensive listening it's still quite boring to me...
  • Iron Maiden - Powerslave: I never could understand why there are so many raving reviews about this album. To me, it's one of their weakest releases.
  • King Diamond - Them: Considered the best album by many fans, but I prefer the newer ones, House of God and especially The Puppet Master
  • Savatage - Gutter Ballet: Though I'm not sure which album of Savatage is my favourite one, I know it's neither Power of the Night nor Gutter Ballet... well, I recently heard a Tad Morose cover of Power of the Night (the song) and though it's not Urban's best performance I really dig that version, also because it's played somewhat faster than the original!

I agree with the above post on "The Crucible of Man". Once the novelty of Barlow's re-entry into the band wore off, the album just ceased to amaze. Course I still love "Divide and Devour", "Behold the Wicked Child", "Sacrificial Kingdoms", and "Come What May". Schaffer's taking a well-deserved break now so hopefully he'll conjure up some fresh ideas for the next release and give that riff of his a rest already. :D

Symphony X. Just... Symphony X. I simply can't sit through any of their albums anymore. Also I have to say (and bear with me here folks, it's only a personal opinion), Paradise Lost is the absolute worst piece of unlistenable shit I've ever heard from this band. I swear I kept checking the disc to make sure it wasn't a Pantera or Slipknot tribute album. I thought I liked it the first few times I heard it but I guess I suppressed my true feelings for the album at the time.

Russell seems to have lost a tremendous amount of his singing ability also. What's to be expected from their next album at this rate? :(

Went a little off-topic there too I noticed... my bad.

I agree with the above post on "The Crucible of Man". Once the novelty of Barlow's re-entry into the band wore off, the album just ceased to amaze. Course I still love "Divide and Devour", "Behold the Wicked Child", "Sacrificial Kingdoms", and "Come What May". Schaffer's taking a well-deserved break now so hopefully he'll conjure up some fresh ideas for the next release and give that riff of his a rest already. :D

Bahahahha! Seriously, that riff really needs to take a back seat for a while. I love this album, it really is a grower, but it is not as good as FA, hence why I want to hear a rerecorded FA

Yes yes... I know. :( Maybe not Slipknot but really... Why all the needless screaming from such a renowned singer I ask you? :yuk:

I WILL STAAAAAAYYYY, I WILL STAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY WITH YOOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!! *salivating*

"Please go away, scary person?"
:err: