alexi in guitar world

Yetti

Oct 29, 2002
Amerika
Visit site
so i was thumbing through the new guitar world(its got Velvet Revolver on the cover) last night at lo and behold on page 36, a big goofy pic of alexi(hes got his white ESP and hes doing a crappy gene simmons impression:loco: ). about time that magazine started putting awesome euro guitarists in there. heres the blurb of info they wrote:

CHILDREN OF BODOM
Black, White and Shred All Over

By Brian Stillman
Photograph by Ann Kermans

NO ONE WOULD associate Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads or Steve Vai with black metal. But that never stopped singer/guitarist Alexi Laiho from incorporating the melodic influences of those guitarists into the music of the Finnish quintet when it formed 10 years ago. Consequently, the band's eclectic debut, Something Wild, put the group head and shoulders of the rest of the pack. "I knew people would need to get used to our music, but i was confident they would," says Laiho, who is joined in his axe duties by Alexander Kuoppala[well not anymore!:cry:]. His assumption proved correct: Children of Bodom are about to release their fourth record[soon to be released here in the US!:kickass:], Hatecrew Deathroll (Century Media), and embark on a US tour with black metal overlords Dimmu Borgir[black metal overlords?:guh: ).

BRING THE NOISE
Laiho's ESP Custom gives him the wide range of tonalites he needs, but it wasnt always his weapon of choice. "I used to play a custom Jackson Randy Rhoads with 24-inch frets and one pickup," he says. "Then some asshole stole it. Someone told me ESP's Custom Shop could make anythin, so i had them copy my old guitar exactly."

POWER STRUGGLE
Children of Bodom's US tour will be demanding, but probably no more so than the group's last stateside performance, at 2003's South by Southwest Music Conference, in Austin, Texas. "We flew 20 hours for a 40-minute set," says Laiho. "We asked the convention to provide us with voltage adapters so we could plug in our synths, but they fucked up and there were no adapters. By the time we dug some up, we only had 20 minutes to play. But that made us want to kick ass that much more."

they said HCDR sounds like: power metal meets black metal. Children of Bodom have a crushingly brutal yet melodic complex sound that combines million-mile-an-hour power chords with sweep arpeggios, Vai-inspired solos and infectious leads.

AXOLOGY

GUITAR ESP CUSTOM

AMP Lee Jackson Perfect Connection preamp, Peavey power amp, Marshall cabs

STRINGS DR Strings

Id also like to send congrats to anneke for getting one of her photos published in the mag also:D

:kickass::kickass::kickass:

thebigyetti said:
so i was thumbing through the new guitar world(its got Velvet Revolver on the cover) last night at lo and behold on page 36, a big goofy pic of alexi(hes got his white ESP and hes doing a crappy gene simmons impression:loco: ). about time that magazine started putting awesome euro guitarists in there. heres the blurb of info they wrote:

CHILDREN OF BODOM
Black, White and Shred All Over

By Brian Stillman
Photograph by Ann Kermans

NO ONE WOULD associate Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads or Steve Vai with black metal. But that never stopped singer/guitarist Alexi Laiho from incorporating the melodic influences of those guitarists into the music of the Finnish quintet when it formed 10 years ago. Consequently, the band's eclectic debut, Something Wild, put the group head and shoulders of the rest of the pack. "I knew people would need to get used to our music, but i was confident they would," says Laiho, who is joined in his axe duties by Alexander Kuoppala[well not anymore!!:cry:]. His assumption proved correct: Children of Bodom are about to release their fourth record[soon to be released here in the US!!:kickass:], Hatecrew Deathroll (Century Media), and embark on a US tour with black metal overlords Dimmu Borgir[black metal overlords?:guh: ).

BRING THE NOISE
Laiho's ESP Custom gives him the wide range of tonalites he needs, but it wasnt always his weapon of choice. "I used to play a custom Jackson Randy Rhoads with 24-inch frets and one pickup," he says. "Then some asshole stole it. Someone told me ESP's Custom Shop could make anythin, so i had them copy my old guitar exactly."

POWER STRUGGLE
Children of Bodom's US tour will be demanding, but probably no more so than the group's last stateside performance, at 2003's South by Southwest Music Conference, in Austin, Texas. "We flew 20 hours for a 40-minute set," says Laiho. "We asked the convention to provide us with voltage adapters so we could plug in our synths, but they fucked up and there were no adapters. By the time we dug some up, we only had 20 minutes to play. But that made us want to kick ass that much more."

they said HCDR sounds like: power metal meets black metal. Children of Bodom have a crushingly brutal yet melodic complex sound that combines million-mile-an-hour power chords with sweep arpeggios, Vai-inspired solos and infectious leads.

AXOLOGY

GUITAR ESP CUSTOM

AMP Lee Jackson Perfect Connection preamp, Peavey power amp, Marshall cabs

STRINGS DR Strings

Id also like to send congrats to anneke for getting one of her photos published in the mag also:D

!:kickass:!:kickass:!:kickass:

Thanks Big Yeti :) I'm pretty stoked about it too ;)

Reactions: Lari
heh..just a sidenote, but back in the aug issue of GW in 1999 in the "metal detector" , CoB was mentioned, because of hatebreeder obviously, and the columnist gave it high praise.