Alexi passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a list somewhere with all the songs Alexi contributed to? I mean besides CoB and Sinergy of course.

For example stuff like the Warmen songs he did vocals for and so on. Guest appearances would probably the right word for it.

I'm asking this because I never was really into listening to Warmen. But I discovered the Somebodys Watching me Cover featuring Alexi on the vocals and I really love that one. The mix between clean vocals (which he never really did with cob except for the rebell yell cover to my knowledge) and screams is great. Gonna put that in my cob playlist.

So I'm wondering now, if there are any more hidden treasures out there I don't know of?
Ofcourse I'm also interested in guitar guest appearances, not only vocals

Remembering the good old times. Karaoke at 70.000 Tons of Metal in 2012:

Turbo Lover with Jeff Waters

Stayin' Alive with Kim Dylla

Don't Stop Believing with Kim Dylla (partial)

18 And Life with Kim Dylla (really poor quality) I recall seeing a higher quality video way back when but can't find it anymore.

"Hey, what are you listening to? Bodom?" asked my wife very gently as she entered our bedroom - also serving as my home office these covid times - on the first working day of 2021. I was. I like listening to metal while coding. I was somewhere in the middle of Tokyo Warhearts.

Tokyo Warhearts was the first Children of Bodom recording I ever heard, waay back, some 20 or so years earlier. Before that I had only been into melodic stuff, the likes of Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica etc, staying away from bands with harsh vocals. Tokyo Warhearts was the first time I heard such vocals paired with highly melodic, heavy/power-metallic instrument usage. Exactly the type I had been into. On top of this, it was packed with lovely harmonies, incredible virtuosity and was extremely energetic - it was an instant love. That album also opened a door for me towards other bands that I never would have considered listening to otherwise.

"I guess you heard, then..." she continued quietly. "No, what is it?" I asked.

CoB became one of my most favourite bands, and the one I probably listened to the most during the naughties. They had a huge effect on my musical taste and guitar playing. Before knowing them I had never realized how much I like harmonization between instruments and especially guitars in metal. My favourite album from them has always been Hatebreeder, followed closely by Follow the Reaper and Something Wild. HCDR, while still good, felt like going in the wrong direction for me. Sadly, that became a prediction come through with their albums after that one. I'm still not entirely sure what changed or is missing from those - while they still had the melodies, harmonies, technique and speed, their atmosphere was completely different to what I loved in their Jackson-playing, Alexander Kuoppala-supported era.

"Poor lad... He did look frighteningly sick in recent years alright... Could have been the heavy alcohol abuse..." I remarked when my wife broke the news. The grief had not struck me immediately.

The last album I actively listened to was Blooddrunk, but as I wasn't finding what I was looking for, I moved on and CoB was replaced in my most-played list with others, like the excellent Kalmah, which did give me a similar sense of atmosphere as early Bodom. I gave a listen to all their newer albums but they did not stick at all. In the past dozen years or so, I only came back to them every once in a while, and only to their early stuff - those still give me chills - and the Inearthed era. Why I was listening to Tokyo Warhearts on that early January day was to capture some of the dual-guitar stuff, as my wife's brother - who is into early Bodom just like me - and I finally live close enough to each other so we can learn some of their songs and play the harmonies together. It is gut-wrenching to think that the first time we played Downfall through together was only a few days before Alexi Laiho passed away.

The pain came slowly. I have been checking the internet for tributes since then and listening to their early albums on repeat. Played along with some of the songs that I know more or less. Never would have thought I'd shed tears playing rhythm during the outro of Hatebreeder.

Perhaps one thing I keep coming back to the early albums for is - and this might sound strange - the positive energy. Despite the dark lyrics, the accompanying music always cheers me up. Reminding me of old times, when all of us were younger, the band members all had huge smiles on their faces in photos, Alexi looked a lot healthier, wore less eyeliner and black nail polish, concentrated more on playing and less on profanities on stage, and the music did not strengthen the sorrow and disregard coming from the lyrics but seemed to convey that there is a way through.

And that is how I choose to remember him, how I choose to remember you, Alexi. Thank you for the incredible experience. Rest in peace dude, a Reaper nyugosztaljon!

"Hey, what are you listening to? Bodom?" asked my wife very gently as she entered our bedroom - also serving as my home office these covid times - on the first working day of 2021. I was. I like listening to metal while coding. I was somewhere in the middle of Tokyo Warhearts.

Tokyo Warhearts was the first Children of Bodom recording I ever heard, waay back, some 20 or so years earlier. Before that I had only been into melodic stuff, the likes of Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica etc, staying away from bands with harsh vocals. Tokyo Warhearts was the first time I heard such vocals paired with highly melodic, heavy/power-metallic instrument usage. Exactly the type I had been into. On top of this, it was packed with lovely harmonies, incredible virtuosity and was extremely energetic - it was an instant love. That album also opened a door for me towards other bands that I never would have considered listening to otherwise.

"I guess you heard, then..." she continued quietly. "No, what is it?" I asked.

CoB became one of my most favourite bands, and the one I probably listened to the most during the naughties. They had a huge effect on my musical taste and guitar playing. Before knowing them I had never realized how much I like harmonization between instruments and especially guitars in metal. My favourite album from them has always been Hatebreeder, followed closely by Follow the Reaper and Something Wild. HCDR, while still good, felt like going in the wrong direction for me. Sadly, that became a prediction come through with their albums after that one. I'm still not entirely sure what changed or is missing from those - while they still had the melodies, harmonies, technique and speed, their atmosphere was completely different to what I loved in their Jackson-playing, Alexander Kuoppala-supported era.

"Poor lad... He did look frighteningly sick in recent years alright... Could have been the heavy alcohol abuse..." I remarked when my wife broke the news. The grief had not struck me immediately.

The last album I actively listened to was Blooddrunk, but as I wasn't finding what I was looking for, I moved on and CoB was replaced in my most-played list with others, like the excellent Kalmah, which did give me a similar sense of atmosphere as early Bodom. I gave a listen to all their newer albums but they did not stick at all. In the past dozen years or so, I only came back to them every once in a while, and only to their early stuff - those still give me chills - and the Inearthed era. Why I was listening to Tokyo Warhearts on that early January day was to capture some of the dual-guitar stuff, as my wife's brother - who is into early Bodom just like me - and I finally live close enough to each other so we can learn some of their songs and play the harmonies together. It is gut-wrenching to think that the first time we played Downfall through together was only a few days before Alexi Laiho passed away.

The pain came slowly. I have been checking the internet for tributes since then and listening to their early albums on repeat. Played along with some of the songs that I know more or less. Never would have thought I'd shed tears playing rhythm during the outro of Hatebreeder.

Perhaps one thing I keep coming back to the early albums for is - and this might sound strange - the positive energy. Despite the dark lyrics, the accompanying music always cheers me up. Reminding me of old times, when all of us were younger, the band members all had huge smiles on their faces in photos, Alexi looked a lot healthier, wore less eyeliner and black nail polish, concentrated more on playing and less on profanities on stage, and the music did not strengthen the sorrow and disregard coming from the lyrics but seemed to convey that there is a way through.

And that is how I choose to remember him, how I choose to remember you, Alexi. Thank you for the incredible experience. Rest in peace dude, a Reaper nyugosztaljon!
a lot of what you describe is exactly how I feel about Children Of Bodom too. Love the early stuff and Tokyo Warhearts is probably my favorite album of theirs :kickass: So tightly played, so much energy

Reactions: Ngetal
It was a long time since i was logged into UM. Came here to pay my respects to the late Wildchild.
I used to hang here alot back in during the HCDR-era (but on a different account I think).

Alexi's death was hard on me. CoB has been running here non-stop for the past week. Saw them back in 2003 for the first time, was present during the Stockholm Knockout-show (front row) and have seen them a few more times.
I had a beer with Alexi once here in Stockholm, and he came across as a really sweet yet shy person.
This is such a huge loss - but his music will live on forever.

My heart goes out to Kelli and the rest of Alexi's family. Riff in peace <3

Is there a list somewhere with all the songs Alexi contributed to? I mean besides CoB and Sinergy of course.

For example stuff like the Warmen songs he did vocals for and so on. Guest appearances would probably the right word for it.

I'm asking this because I never was really into listening to Warmen. But I discovered the Somebodys Watching me Cover featuring Alexi on the vocals and I really love that one. The mix between clean vocals (which he never really did with cob except for the rebell yell cover to my knowledge) and screams is great. Gonna put that in my cob playlist.

So I'm wondering now, if there are any more hidden treasures out there I don't know of?
Ofcourse I'm also interested in guitar guest appearances, not only vocals

Great Annihilator song that features a sick Alexi solo at 3:05!

Reactions: rj rl
allumaija.jpg
Finnish singer Maija Vilkkumaa shared a picture from Kullaa Pop & Jazz summer camp 1995 where she shared the stage with Alexi in a band called Rosegarden and played Tragedy by Hanoi Rocks. According to Maija, Alexi was very friendly, sensitive and very talented. She didn't keep in contact with him after the camp but followed his career in the media through the years and was shocked about the death. If I fucked up the photo attachment again you can take a look at the post in her instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJnwsc_lzRZ/?igshid=1756oc18qkxfj

Wanted to post this here, i found this picture on FB, the person who uploaded it there got it from instagram and he blured the face of his niece for privacy mathers on fb..

this picture is from Christmas 2020 at Alexi’s sisters place :(
best he's looked in ages. Makes it all the more fucking awful

qx03KiT.png

uyHkYYf.jpg

Reactions: rj rl
Status
Not open for further replies.