All Slate Digital Plugins Free for 6 months!

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Just got an e-mail with this link...

www.slatedigital.com/mix-master-fx-free-trial/

Includes licenses for plugins not available for purchase yet as well.

Custom Series EQ and Lift released as well.

Tells you you need the Gobbler app but you don't. Once I downloaded the bundle and gave my ILok details, it activated within my DAW once I logged into my ILok account.

Nevermind. I think it's dependent on how many Slate plugins you own as to how many months you get free.

Got the email and thought it looked like one of those poorly done scam commercial (scammercial?) were you can loose a huge amount of weigh in no time or get rock solid erections that will last for hours. Pretty irritating.

Got the email and thought it looked like one of those poorly done scam commercial (scammercial?) were you can loose a huge amount of weigh in no time or get rock solid erections that will last for hours. Pretty irritating.

While Slate focuses on holding in a bong rip for the entire commercial + never blinking, he has this guy make his advertising assets.

anigif_enhanced-17072-1428433248-15.gif

Really intrigued by the Custom EQ/Lift video. Got 4 free months, ready to give them a spin tomorrow!

Hmm I own all slate digital plugins and only got 4 months free. I will look into that then.
I am a bit surprised at the individual price for the new custom series module.
I think the rental price is REALLY well priced and I DO like the idea of this payment plan for new users BUT (as it has been said before) it doesn't help me when I am only missing the one new module as I already own the rest.
I am not arguing with the payment plan but as a current customer I do feel that if I was given a choice between getting 4 - 6 free months of all slate plugins I already own OR a lower price of the module I don't own I know what deal would suit me better.
This is how it feels to me. (Please correct me if I have misunderstood)
Option 1:
Rent plugins for $240 for one year (only so I get future modules)
Get a $99 voucher.
Purchase the one module I am missing for an extra $50 (on top of voucher) because that's all I could spend it on.
Own all plugins even though I paid rental.
I have now spent $290
Get new modules free when they come out but those expire with subscription.
Repeat every year.
Option 2:
Just purchase the module for $149.
Purchase the next new module soon for another $149
ETC
ETC
For those who constantly only need the new modules and with the scheme of offering vouchers this will become a never ending chasing of the tail would it not?
It seems like a fairly tricky way of making people have to go on the payment plan eventually because you are basically an idiot if you don’t.
Given that the normal price of VMR with 7 or more modules is $199 I don't think $149 is a fair buy price for 2 modules that is the custom series.
It also indicates that other new modules 'coming soon' will be the same price of $149 for each individual module.
If slate releases 5 more modules this year that would be $750.
For those of us who own these plugins there is no financial gain at all but this could be simply fixed by making the modules $49 so at least if 5 modules come out I could spend a similar amount to a year’s rental BUT own them and not feel disadvantaged against those who rent.
Then I won’t need the voucher.

Am I seeing this all wrong?
I feel like I must be for some reason.

I agree about the additional module pricing, I figured the additional modules were going to be fairly low in cost after buying the vmr for $199 for 5 modules. I would have thought maybe $50 for a top module and more like $20 for basic gates etc. Increasing the cost of owning the plugins and making the new ones not be low cost are a good way to make the subscription seem like the way to go. I've said before I don't think owners of all the plugins (such as myself) are really in love with any of this but it is what it is. Cheers.

Hmm I own all slate digital plugins and only got 4 months free. I will look into that then.
I am a bit surprised at the individual price for the new custom series module.
I think the rental price is REALLY well priced and I DO like the idea of this payment plan for new users BUT (as it has been said before) it doesn't help me when I am only missing the one new module as I already own the rest.
I am not arguing with the payment plan but as a current customer I do feel that if I was given a choice between getting 4 - 6 free months of all slate plugins I already own OR a lower price of the module I don't own I know what deal would suit me better.
This is how it feels to me. (Please correct me if I have misunderstood)
Option 1:
Rent plugins for $240 for one year (only so I get future modules)
Get a $99 voucher.
Purchase the one module I am missing for an extra $50 (on top of voucher) because that's all I could spend it on.
Own all plugins even though I paid rental.
I have now spent $290
Get new modules free when they come out but those expire with subscription.
Repeat every year.
Option 2:
Just purchase the module for $149.
Purchase the next new module soon for another $149
ETC
ETC
For those who constantly only need the new modules and with the scheme of offering vouchers this will become a never ending chasing of the tail would it not?
It seems like a fairly tricky way of making people have to go on the payment plan eventually because you are basically an idiot if you don’t.
Given that the normal price of VMR with 7 or more modules is $199 I don't think $149 is a fair buy price for 2 modules that is the custom series.
It also indicates that other new modules 'coming soon' will be the same price of $149 for each individual module.
If slate releases 5 more modules this year that would be $750.
For those of us who own these plugins there is no financial gain at all but this could be simply fixed by making the modules $49 so at least if 5 modules come out I could spend a similar amount to a year’s rental BUT own them and not feel disadvantaged against those who rent.
Then I won’t need the voucher.

Am I seeing this all wrong?
I feel like I must be for some reason.

No, now that you put it that way, I feel totally fucked over. I decided not to buy the new modules today purely based on price alone, it just isn't worth it to me when I know I'll want the rest. Is this Slate's plan to push paid customers into the subscription model?

It sure feels that way to me.

I am sitting here using the new modules as I type this.
They do sound nice and do the things Slate says BUT I do feel that I now have yet another module to 'EQ and excite the highs and lows' kind of the same as many of the other modules already in VMR.

These are cool additions but I think ANOTHER EQ and analogue polisher was not the right choice for the next big release?
We are spoilt for choice with EQ and compression already thanks to Slate.
I thought the point of VMR was really to have the ability to create custom EQ by loading different slots so why release ANOTHER custom eq that is also VERY similar to the Waves Manny Marroquin EQ that is $99 most of the time.
I would have much more use for the Gates and De Essers etc that have been mentioned before yet another EQ. Sigh.

I will run with my free months but at $149 I have no intention to buy and no intention to subscribe either.

I am sad because I love my Slate plugins.

Until they come out with an accurate Distressor or dbx160 module I don't give a shit about anything. A gate and de-esser will be helpful but sure as hell not for $150 each.

I love VMR and use it on nearly every channel in my mixes now, but yea I don't see myself getting the subscription anytime soon as I already own everything and all I really could hope for is a legit distressor module. Other than that I'm going back to concentrating on yelling at musicians so I actually have some decent music to mix, instead of downloading yet another eq plug.

Yeah in term of compression I would like those and a la2a but that would be all that I would need. Again though it would be nice to see slate do something other than EQ and compression at least for a few modules.

Have you tried Major Tom by Stillwell Audio?
A nice 160 clone if you ask me and VERY affordable.

The subscription model is great if you don't own any of the plug-ins, but pretty shit if you own all of them. I own them all and the new stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest. I, like many others are looking for something else. If I want a "Custom EQ" I'll load up the SSL and the FG-N and use the parts that I think sound best from each.

Filter/Gate/Distressor Emu/DBX160 Emu etc would all be appreciated at this time.

Nobody is ever going to be 100% happy with the new deal, but I'm still happy with what I own. I guesd to me, a subscription model is much like renting a house, sure, you have a place to live, but in 6months time if you can't pay your rent, you're homeless. I'd much rather just own something outright than borrow it.

I was concerned about this the day they've "released" some vague info about it and feel confirmed.

Slate is hitting the Waves road.

I understand it from the manufacturer side. Sooner or later it will make no sense to really buy the plugins instead of renting them, just with the help of "right" pricings...

I, personally, am a fan of owning things and have to decide if I wanna miss out the best deals, the company will surely make for the rental stuff, or buy it.

It seems many of agree about what 'should' be next in terms of modules.

Yeah my point echos all of yours, subscription is for new users only.

I love what I own too, which is why I am disappointed I may have to miss out on future releases unless price point is VERY different.

The irony is until this subscription Slate prices were quite acceptable but with this new structure in place they simply cant justify a buy price such as these.

Just wait for a sale then guys. That's what I plan to do at the moment. I'm going to continue to outright purchase the plug ins I want, I'm not going down the subscription route. We do have choice! At the end of the day, Slate's plug ins are some of the best available today. I only mix with Slate and UAD plug ins currently.