All you need to know about Finnish language...

The problem with Sweden is that they are also into techno. Finland is also pretty jazz. But I like some jazz so I don't mind

@TLAD: I can recommand you AFS in u wanna study in Finnish High School (Lukio) and Erasmus if u wanna study at some university.

@Celeb about the cold north thingy: last wnter when it was -35, I thought is was veeeeeeery cold!!!!!!!

Yeh, I was freezing too :D But -35 is nothing, during winterwar it was over -40! Pretty chilly, huh?

@TLAD: You mean 'naida'? :D Yes, but you can't really use the straight translation when your'e swearing :) Or you could but everybody would probaly just look you like wtf? Other good translation could be "Haista paska, vitun kusipää!". I really feel sorry for germans cause they have only one word what they use when they swear, or am I wrong? We must be in top five with our swearing words :p

Mulkvisti :lol: You know what it means? You can also use the word 'mulkku' ;)

Yeh, I was freezing too :D But -35 is nothing, during winterwar it was over -40! Pretty chilly, huh?

@TLAD: You mean 'naida'? :D Yes, but you can't really use the straight translation when your'e swearing :) Or you could but everybody would probaly just look you like wtf? Other good translation could be "Haista paska, vitun kusipää!". I really feel sorry for germans cause they have only one word what they use when they swear, or am I wrong? We must be in top five with our swearing words :p

Mulkvisti :lol: You know what it means? You can also use the word 'mulkku' ;)

Mulkvisti=Bastard
Right...?o_O
XD
#1 will always be "vittu"!XDDDD

The problem with Sweden is that they are also into techno. Finland is also pretty jazz. But I like some jazz so I don't mind

@TLAD: I can recommand you AFS in u wanna study in Finnish High School (Lukio) and Erasmus if u wanna study at some university.

@Celeb about the cold north thingy: last wnter when it was -35, I thought is was veeeeeeery cold!!!!!!!

Im actually gonna try AFS. And STA and YFU...^^
You see, im serious about it.:)

20 degrees?!?!?! You should really visit Finland in winter :D -20 is enough for me and -30 just too much...over +30 is too much for me

the coldest ive experienced in my lifetime is say 20degrees

i wonder what -40 would be like!!

btw during the summer its above 40 here almost 50

The hottest temperature I've expierienced in nature was around +40 Celsius, during my first visit to the Canary Islands.

The coldest was about -45 at Lapland a few years ago in the winter. My hair was full of icy sticks and water in my eyes froze :erk: That wasn't nice. But last winter the coldest temperature here in my hometown (in the southern part of Finland) was -30 during a few mornings. But -20 is enough for me already.

But for the exception of a few weeks, the last winter was quite warm with the temperature staying close to 0 Celsius. For long, there was no snow on the ground even! But luckily the snow came down by November, then melted away and came back in January.

I think I've posted some of these links before but I'll post them again:

Culture:

Helsingin Sanomat International Edition
The Finnish Language at Virtual Finland - information on Finnish in general, no proper lessons
Acculturation Information -- intended for international students at Jyväskylä University
Suomalaisen musiikin tiedotuskeskus -- a.k.a Finnish Music Information Center
Fulbright Center -- Finnish/American Academic Exchanges
Infopankki -- General Information
Kassandra -- Art Association
Drummers' Association of Finland
Intercultural Relationships -- Facts About Finns (Tongue-in-Cheek)

Online Language Courses:

Finnish School
'Tavataan taas!' - basic Finnish course w/ information on Finland
Finnish Grammar Bits
'Ymmärrä suomea!' 'Understand Finnish' - reading comprehension exercise; only in Finnish
Venla's Finnish for Foreigners
Chiugate's Guide to the Finnish Language
Jukka Korpela's 'The Finnish Language'
Word2Word's Index of Free Online Language Courses - for those of you who are interested in languages other than Finnish

Dictionaries & the like:

NOTE: Most of these online dictionaries have rather limited vocabularies, but they're useful nonetheless.

Mikropuhe Live - Type whatever it is that you want to know how to pronounce in the window, click the 'Kuuntele puhe' button and it'll repeat it back to you.
Verbix - Verb conjugator; conjugates verbs in a number of languages (even Old English)
Lexibar - Toolbar for replicating special accented characters
Webster's Finnish/English Dictionary
Freeware dictionary from Freelang
YourDictionary.com Uralic Languages Dicitionaries
English to Finnish/Finnish to English Online Dictionary
Travlang's Finnish/English Dictionary
Travlang's English/Finnish Dictionary
Travlang's Finnish/Spanish Dictionary
Travlang's Spanish/Finnish Dictionary

Books:

Teach Yourself: Finnish
by Terttu Leney
ISBN 0-07-145107-2
Available as a book/CD package or the book can be bought separately.

Finnish: An Essential Grammar
by Fred Karlsson
ISBN 0415207053
$33.95 on Amazon

Touch†Like†Angel†Of†Death;6189709 said:
Hm...then someone gave me wrong information...-.-
^^
At least i know "perkele paska!"XD
:p

I think one of the best words is 'perkele'. Every time when somebody says that, there is just so much emotion with it. I use usually 'perkele' or 'vittu'. Sometimes I feel I swear too much :p

paska I only use with bad food...but that's only me :p

@Celeb: Yeah Finnish peple swear a lot, nowadays I swear a lot more than before my exchange year. I am Finnish enough ? :saint:

paska I only use with bad food...but that's only me :p

@Celeb: Yeah Finnish peple swear a lot, nowadays I swear a lot more than before my exchange year. I am Finnish enough ? :saint:

Thats good^^ :lol:

Couple of steps to become a real finn: go to sauna and stay there more than just couple of minutes :) At least a quarter. Eat real finnish salt liquorice (salmiakki) and like it. Swear a lot, using finnish words like vittu, saatana and perkele. Find out who was Sibelius. Never give up. Learn some finnish.

Does somebody have something to add?

sauna: about 3 times a week, at least 30 min
salmiakki is yum
swearing: check
Sibelius: I had to write an essay for music about this guy and I went to his museum in Turku, I think I know who he is by now
Learn some finnish: siis mitä, onko se varma pakollinen ? Minä en puhu suomea...oikesti :Smug: :p (spelling mistakes might be still in it, my written Finnish still sucks and will always suck)

sauna: about 3 times a week, at least 30 min
salmiakki is yum
swearing: check
Sibelius: I had to write an essay for music about this guy and I went to his museum in Turku, I think I know who he is by now
Learn some finnish: siis mitä, onko se varma pakollinen ? Minä en puhu suomea...oikesti :Smug: :p (spelling mistakes might be still in it, my written Finnish still sucks and will always suck)

^^Nice :D Your written Finnish isn't so bad, only couple of mistakes :) (Shit, now I want some salmiakki...have to buy it before I go to school...)

I have some, it's really weird in the beginning I really hated it, now I love it.

btw you can always correct me if you want

Many years ago, when I was just a kid, there was couple italians visiting our school. One of my teachers gave salmiakki to them and I think none of them liked it. Couple of them spitted it out. And I was like whaat? Italians are weird :p

I had once British teacher who had been living in Finland really long time and he used to say that most difficult thing for him was to learn that when talking with some one you don't always answer with complete words, you just use "jooh", "öh", "huh", "noh" and so on in correct places. When he learned to use those people started complimenting how good his Finnish is.

And other thing he always tried to explain us was that Finnish don't have so much hidden meaning in their saying, but for example British have. For example if you have cup of coffee in your hand and you are asking "onko maitoa" = "do you have milk", Finnish will answer "kyllä" = "yes" but won't give it to you. You have to ask "saisinko maitoa kahviini"="could I have some milk to my coffee" if you really want milk to your coffee. But he as a British expected to get that milk already when he asked "do you have milk".