All you need to know about Finnish language...

Hey there!
I desperately need some help for a little translation I've gotta do.
How do you say "X, you rock!"? when X is a band name and you can't put the verb at the plural form NOR at the singular. I would like some sort of a typical formula in order to express this.
Thanks lots in advance. :)

It's not really possible to give one forumla. In Finnish you need to know tense (presence, past tense, perfect tense, past perfect), mood (indicative, conditional, imperative, potential) and personal form (1st, 2nd, 3rd and singular, plural) to know how verb is written, so context matters quite a lot ;). Then second think is that rock doesn't have Finnish translation.

"Bodom, you rock" translates to "Bodom, te rokkaatte" but that's not natural because if in Finnish if you use "you" (s. "sinä", p. "te") you don't usually mention name in the beginning. But "te rokkaatte" doesn't sound really Finnish either, it's really obviously made from english saying. I would suggest to just say it in English ;)

@valkokukka: Isn't there any different expression used in this purpose? I mean, I wanna do this banner to wave at a gig and I thought it would be slightly more interesting if I used *something* in Finnish. Doesn't necessarily need to be "you rock", could be "go!" or something like, FTW, you know, just to express admiration.
And thanks for the detailed explanation btw. :D I own a Finnish manual and, if nobody replied in useful time, I would have probably gone for "rokkaatte" and been complete failure. :)

for banner at gig you could write "bodom, rakastan teitä" which means "bodom, I love you" but it's not as cheesy as it is in english or "olette kovia" which is directly translated "you're though" but we use it for admiring and telling we like the band.

any finn can do it?

"hey dude, where are you going?"
"no idea, i'm just following you"
("dude" can be replaced with some common finnish slang, something that is most used there)

and: "Firmly united we will stand 'til the world falls apart"

major kiitos in advanced

Can anyone learn me some finnish? Don't know where to begin, and how to remember it. :S

Some phrases just? so that i can start :p

Here's some most common finnish phrases.

"Ruotsi on kiva paikka" = "Sweden is nice place"

"Pidän Göran Pärssonista" = " I like Göran Pärsson"

"Saksa on paska maa" = "Germany is fucked up/shit country"

Can somebody tell me what does Ilon Paiva means?
I was listening to Ajattara,and google translator translated it as red letter day,but i guess there is some more logical translation.

Can anyone learn me some finnish? Don't know where to begin, and how to remember it. :S

Some phrases just? so that i can start :p

Well if you want to start like I guess everyone else who comes to Finland and dont know the language, you cant start learning the cursing words.

I just remember how it was when I started to learn english and swedish. First the introducing part and colours :lol: Its up to you where you want to start, just ask if you need help.

^^Haha, sorry to dissapoint you :lol:

epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän
^^but this was once claimed its the longest word in finnish. Of course there are more like "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas". This is actually longer than the first one.

First one I dont even know if it can be translated to english :lol: well, Im not trying to do it.

It's the longest SINGLE word. Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän that is. Eli siis pisin ei-yhdyssana :)