All you need to know about Finnish language...

Numbers:

1: yksi
2: kaksi
3: kolme
4: neljä
5: viisi
6: kuusi
7: seitsemän
8: kahdeksan
9: yhdeksän
10: kymmenen
11: yksitoista
12: kaksitoista
20: kaksikymmentä
21: kaksikymmentäyksi
22: kaksikymmentäkaksi
30: kolmekymmentä
31: kolmekymmentäyksi
100: sata
500: viisisataa
1000: tuhat
5000: viisirutuhatta

I try to learn finnish right now and think the numbers are the only logical thing in this language. :loco:

^don't think so.... difficult, but not unlogical! and have you ever heard about something as beautiful as "Vokalharmonie" ??? ;)

"Vokalharmony" is no problem to me. I understand that. My problem starts at the "Stufenwechsel". This doesn't make any sense to me (for example oppia). Why don't they get rid of the "second p" at all?
And I still don't get the thing with the towns. Talking about -ssa/ssä and that few towns with -lle. Where is the point with this? This ist quite unlogical to me. Sorry!!!

@Angua:
that -lle is pretty much same thing as, let's say, -iin. Depends on the word that is. For example: Helsinkiin (to Helsinki) Keravalle (to Kerava). Also these mix up quite a bit among themselves, depending on a region you're in. And -ssa/-ssä can be translated as "in". Helsingissä (in Helsinki). That's a overly simplified explanation, don't know how you could learn all those, except for living in Finland. Never had to think about these kinda problems before, I admit=). It comes naturally to Finns. But I can see how confusing that is=D.
And why's there a problem with two p's?! I don't understand.

"Oppia" was just an example.
It's like "saying yes" to something you have one "p" or two "p's" (depending on the "person" (grammar thing?)) and if you deny anything it's just one "p" at all. So why is there a difference? Why isn't there just one "p" at all?
This is what makes it hard for me.
I would love to talk (meet) with some finnish people who might be able to explain all this grammar to me.

I don't wanna be disrespectful but just to make it clear:
If you admit it is:
minä opin
sinä opit
hän oppii
me opimme
te opitte
he oppivat

And if you deny it's always:
... "opi"

Why is there are double "p" in the "third person"? Why isn't it always just one "p"? What is the reason for this?
It would be nice if some could explain this for me. My teacher (a born finnish female) can't explain it. She just says that it is the way it is.

That "hän oppii" can be explained: oppii is also a passive form. But that me opimme I have no answer, I think is just an irregular, like all those annoying french verbs...?=)
And I can try to explain the grammar to you, if you want to. Thru e-mail or pm, I'm not coming to Germany in the near future=). Unless you're coming here?=P

please translate this Klamydia song plz

Tulvasaarekkeen keskipisteessä,
mä istun kupla volsussa paniikin partaalla
Miltein hermojeni hallinan mä menetin,
kun stereot oikosulkuun simahti
Täällä siis istun jo toista päivää ja vetistä tulevaisuuden kuvaa hahmotan

Kuplassa istuen, latomerta tuijotan

Onneksi joka McGyverin seurasin, näinollen kinkkisen tilanteen selvitin
Idolini tavoille uskollisena,
loihdin hätäkeinon hämmästyttävän
Vararenkaan kaulaani pujotin,
kohti vapautta mä pian matkaisin

Tulvassa kelluen, latomerta tuijotan
Tulvassa kelluen, latomerta tuijotan x2

The Reason for the pp-p (etc.) change:

grammatical:

the change always takes place if you add a suffix that either consists out of one consonant (e.g. -n) or stars with two consonants (e.g. -mme)

historical:

The reason why this change thing (astevaihtelu, to be more precise) came into existance at all is that it reqires less power to articulate 'p' than 'pp' and so it developped that if the word was complicated by a suffix, certain consonant groups were simplyfied as a compensation. Note that this is, of course, not somebody's decision but a historical development

ummm... this is fine and dandy but how do you pronounce these things? You show how to spell them in Finnish, but unless less you can read and speak Finnish already that dose you no good....

what does this mean?
shirt_sign.jpg